Sign in to follow this  
Whalevolution

FOX61 News "The Real Story" talking Whalers with Whaler Guys

Excellent interview, Pete informed Al that Hartford is the 30th Largest Media Market.

Bob stressed the point that the Whalers were among the top attendance cities in the NHL in the late 1990s when they left the city.

There was talk in the interview about the Islanders, Coyotes, Hurricanes, and that the Coyotes only have a year left on their contract and then they have nowhere to play.  So much is going on for Hartford right now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WhalerCentral said:

Bob stressed the point that the Whalers were among the top attendance cities in the NHL in the late 1990s when they left the city.

Wait, what? No they weren't. Other than  the 80-81, 81-82, 85-86, 86-87, 87-88 seasons the Whalers were in the bottom four in league attendence. They were never "among the top attendance cities in the NHL." I'm all for fighting to bring them back and talking about the good things they did for the city and the state, but to out right lie about the attendance too make them sound better it just wrong and underhanded. I remember the last home game of 92 against the Flyers that only 5000 people showed up to, and I remember the playoff game against the Canadiens that year that only had 5600. So to say they were in the top of the league in the 90's in a joke.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

Wait, what? No they weren't. Other than  the 80-81, 81-82, 85-86, 86-87, 87-88 seasons the Whalers were in the bottom four in league attendence. They were never "among the top attendance cities in the NHL." I'm all for fighting to bring them back and talking about the good things they did for the city and the state, but to out right lie about the attendance too make them sound better it just wrong and underhanded. I remember the last home game of 92 against the Flyers that only 5000 people showed up to, and I remember the playoff game against the Canadiens that year that only had 5600. So to say they were in the top of the league in the 90's in a joke.

If you go to the Fox61 interview that Pete posted, you will see a 7 minute video posted.  Bob Crawford said the following below, he was an NHL player, so I trust him over you.

at 5:31 of the interview:  "Hartford is the largest market without a professional sports team."

at 6:00 of the interview:  "Hartford was selling out when they left, the team was taken from Connecticut by an owner who wanted to go to another area, granted that is his right, it did not fail as an NHL city, they were among the top attendance teams in the NHL when they left in 1997, they were selling out almost every game."

1 hour ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

I agree.  On the fact that they weren't Among the highest attended teams. We know they were above a few teams in 97.  In 87 percentage wise they were fourth in attendance and also fourth highest grossing franchise in ticket sales. But that deals with ticket pricing, various markets pricing etc  

Crawford is a really good guy played for the Rangers, Caps and St Louis. He really isn't someone who said that to be underhanded.