Sign in to follow this  
Whalevolution

Creel seems real

Sometimes you just need regular work.  Everybody knows Huska is the #1, but it's nice to know UConn has a very capable backup, at least if it's only for the rest of the season, as Creel is a senior.

The HE race is shaping up to be a very interesting one...the games in hand that everybody has against UConn matter, but since the other teams in the bottom half of the group all have games against one another...they may not hurt as much as it looks.  UConn should...emphasis on the word should...be able to hold on to a home-ice spot for the first weekend of the HE playoffs.

• Like 1

Oh, and if I'm UConn...I'm charging $9 for tickets to the playoff games, should they have them...that was a great crowd on Sat urday afternoon.

• Like 2

After the complete ups and downs I am shocked here UConn sits with a very makeable chance to host a Playoff game.   Part of it is getting wins when they most need it but also alot has to do with poor play of Merrimack, UNH and Amherst.   No complaints though from me

If you had told me 2 weeks ago that Adam Huska would get hurt and UConn would still be in position to host the first weekend of the HE playoffs, I would have said no way, no how.  But here we are.

Here's how it sits.  Top 3 host the first weekend of the HE playoffs, March 2-3-4.  All records are Hockey East only of course.

Maine -- 17 GP, 8-6-3 = 19 points.  This weekend, they host Merrimack (2 games)

UConn -- 20 GP, 8-11-1 = 17 points.  This weekend, they host BC

UMa$$ -- 16 GP, 5-10-1 = 11 points.  This weekend, they host BU and play at New Hampshire.

UNH -- 16 GP, 4-9-3 = 11 points.  This weekend, they play at Northeastern and host UMa$$.

Vermont -- 16 GP, 4-9-3 = 11 points.  This weekend, they host Providence (2 games)

Merrimack -- 17 GP, 4-11-2 = 10 points.  This weekend, they are at Maine (2 games)

The key is this...for UConn to lose home ice, 2 of UMa$$, UNH, Vermont and Merrimack have to go by the Huskies in the standings.  As long as UConn (who finishes with BC at home, at Northeastern, home for BU and home for UMa$$) can hold serve...say 2-2...that will almost certainly be enough.  In fact, 1-3 might do it.

Edited by MarkH2919
  • Like 1

I noticed that UConn also had two games on the others.  They have five left while most have 7-8

But with them playing Um***** once more they almost have to go at least 1-3

Maybe.  There are so many games where two of this group go against one another.

Maine plays Merrimack twice at home, and at UNH

UConn hosts UMa$$

UMa$$ plays at UNH, hosts Merrimack and is at UConn

UNH hosts UMa$$, hosts Vermont twice, hosts Maine and is at Merrimack

Vermont has two at UNH

Merrimack has 2 at Maine, 1 at UMa$$ and a home game against UNH

The point is despite the games in hand that everybody else has...there are enough games against each other that as long as UConn takes care of their business, they should be OK.  Like you said, as long as they don't go 0-4, I think they'll be home.  

UConn helped themselves immensely with their 5-3 win over BC on Friday night...Updated standings below.  I'm adding UM-Lowell in here, as they're only 1 ahead of UConn and now behind Maine.  Team that finishes 5th gets a bye to the conference quarterfinals.

5. Maine = 19 GP, 9 W, 7 L, 3 T = 21 PTS

6. UM-Lowell = 18 GP, 10 W, 8 L, 0 T = 20 PTS

7. UConn = 21 GP, 9 W, 11 L, 1 T = 19 PTS

8. UNH = 18 GP, 5 W, 9 L, 4 T = 14 PTS

9. Vermont = 18 GP, 5 W, 9 L, 4 T = 14 PTS

10. Merrimack = 19 GP, 5 W, 12 L, 2 T = 12 PTS

11. UM-Amherst = 18 GP, 5 W, 12 L, 1 T = 11 PTS

This week, Merrimack is at UM-Amherst on Tuesday.