Sign in to follow this  
WhalerCentral

Good news, Bettman just confirmed Arizona doesn't have arena deal

Very promising news for Hartford from Commissioner Bettman at the All-Star weekend, Bettman confirms there is NO permanent solution currently for Arizona, saying only that Arizona is working on some possibilities in Arizona and that it would be based on the owner's persistence or willingness to continue the pursuit.

Bettman was asked if a timeline existed for how long the Coyotes could remain in Glendale without a permanent solution for an arena.

Bettman said that [Coyotes owner Andrew] Barroway is continuing to work on the possibilities for a new arena in Arizona, adding that the “strength or resilience or persistence of a club depends on ownership’s willingness to continue the pursuit.”

4861975858511872.png

That piece is typical commish talk.  Of course they're "working on a deal" in Arizona, and of course it "depends on the ownership's willingness to continue the pursuit"  That's exactly what Bettman (or any other commissioner with a franchise in limbo) is supposed to say.

At some point...and that point is probably coming soon...being the next...12-16 months or so...the Coyotes have to make a call on their f uture.  It's painf ully obvious there isn't going to be a new building in Glendale for them and them alone, and it's also pretty obvious the Suns want nothing to do with them.  

I said it in another thread, and I'll say it again here.  This is the franchise to watch for relocation.  Not Carolina, not the Islanders, not Ottawa, not (for now) Florida, and not (for now) Calgary.  It's all about Arizona.  

Edited by MarkH2919

1 hour ago, MarkH2919 said:

At some point...and that point is probably coming soon...being the next...12-16 months or so...the Coyotes have to make a call on their f uture.

Indeed, that time frame is what I have been saying all along, the next 12-16 months are critical, I expect dealings with Arizona staying in Arizona to fall through this summer, I then expect Arizona to do a mock search of where they want to move to, when behind it all they have already selected Hartford.  There is a reason why Hartford installed a new NHL-chosen ice sheet and why the state is putting more money into the XL Center.

The new owner of the Coyotes who bought the team only a year ago from the previous owner who just died of self-inflicted means, is leveraged beyond belief and is in an operating loss, the NHL has lost hundreds of millions of dollars in Arizona, they have been in Arizona for too long to think that growing the game in the deep southwest is possible, the NHL will arrive at a point later this year or next year where enough is enough and it's time to leave Arizona.  The only city in America with a new NHL ice sheet, that currently does not have a hockey team, is Hartford.  Hartford is also the biggest city in America lacking a professional sports team.