Sign in to follow this  
MarkH2919

Yard Goats ticket sales jump 24%

http://www.courant.com/sports/baseball/yard-goats/hc-news-hartford-yard-goats-season-tickets-20180330-story.html

For all the people out there that thought the YG would be a fad, well...the joke is on you.

I found this statement particularly interesting...

Jeff Lantz, director of media relations for Minor League Baseball, said last week that while his organization doesn’t keep statistics about season ticket sales or increases, a 24 percent increase is unusual.

“It’s pretty remarkable because a lot of these honeymoon periods end and you get attrition,” Lantz said. “I can’t think of a team that’s had that kind of increase.”

Lantz said the key for growing attendance and keeping it in minor league baseball is not necessarily about the game on the field.

“If you polled 100 people [leaving a game,] 70 couldn’t tell you who won and 90 couldn’t tell you the final score,” Lantz said.

The key, he said, is to operate a clean, safe stadium with a strong promotional and entertainment calendar and communicate with your customers about their ballpark experience.

If certain other teams in the area would take this hint (cough, Pack, cough)...maybe their numbers would jump 24% too.

• Like 1

I'm a newly minted partial plan 'Goats season ticket holder. I love the environment. I'd never considered season tix to a minor league baseball team before but last year's experience up there made it an easy choice

Edited by jimmytheidiotboy

Yup, I got a flex plan myself.  Going to Fenway for the Sox home opener on Thursday, so won't be at the Dunk for that, but will be there Sa****ay.  

Minor League Baseball doesn't keep track, but I'm quite certain the Yard Goats (and probably the Rockies) do.

Learn to read.

13 hours ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

Wait, they don't keep statistics on season ticket sales or increases, but they know they have gone up 24%? How do they know that if they don't keep track of the numbers?

Yes they aren't really telling the truth of course they know how many they had last season. 

There would be no way to prove they went up 24% if they didnt know. 

Still to early to determine if it will be a novelty or fad. However i think it's great the team is seeing higher ticket sales. For people like me that have lived in Northern Hartford county it's nice to have an option here downtown as getting to bristol for the rock cats was a pain during rush hour. Whereas even with backroads there are ways to get to to Hartford and leave Hartford much quicker than taking the **rther drive down to NB.

Now, I will preface this by saying I was not at the Dunk last night...I was at the Sox home opener instead.  Whoever did go, I hope it was a good time, despite the chilly temps, and crappy game (6-0 loss)

My opinion is that the Goats will continue to be a success at the gate for the simple reason that they're really, really good at promoting the product.  The game, for most people at the ballpark, is secondary.  So you have to promote everything else, and nobody promotes everything else better than the Yard Goats do.  From the food selections, to the entertainment promotions to the special nights or weekends...they do a great job.  Have you ever seen ANY CT television station promote a WolfPack opening night to the point where they had people there all day?  No.  Well...Channel 61 had people at DDP from 7:00am yesterday morning.  It was all over TV, and it's on the front of the Courant today.  It's all about promotion.  Simple and plain.

And just to add to my point from above.  The Yard Goats, in freezing conditions, announced crowds of 4,328 Sat night and 4,205 yesterday.

The WolfPack?  4,126 Sat and 3,026 Sunday.

19 hours ago, MarkH2919 said:

And just to add to my point from above.  The Yard Goats, in freezing conditions, announced crowds of 4,328 Sat night and 4,205 yesterday.

The WolfPack?  4,126 Sat and 3,026 Sunday.

Announced is the key word in that post. I was at the home opener and at the games in Friday and Sunday, I went to the Pack game on Sa****ay, and the places was more than half empty. Their employees were even posting pictures showing how empty the place was. People were walking out on the Sunday game during the 5th and 6th innings because the Goats were getting beat. NBC was even making people bunch up to make it look like there was more people there during their reports. It's aw**l.

To Fraudie, they are, apparently.

Of course, he thinks the only sports team in the universe that doesn't give free tickets away is the WolfPack, so we should consider the source.

Well true if anyone *****es about YG but doesn't ***** about the Pack has no ground to stand on.  Or vice versa

Why do we act like Hartford is the only place in the world where this happens?

NY Yankees do it

LA Lakers do it 

Boston Red Sox do it 

AZ Coyotes do it 

And everyone else 

Everybody does it.  Every sport, every level.  So why certain people get upset when a Hartford team does it...I have no idea.

I went to a bunch of YG games last year where they announced a sellout, but there were empty seats.   Teams give away blocks of freebies...and regardless of if the tickets get used or not...they're counted in the attendance number.

The WolfPack do it, just like every other team.

It even happens in the majors.

The White Sox announced 10,000ish for their game against Tampa yesterday....someone from the Tampa newspapers said the actual attendance was less than 1000.

2 hours ago, MarkH2919 said:

The WolfPack do it, just like every other team.

It even happens in the majors.

The White Sox announced 10,000ish for their game against Tampa yesterday....someone from the Tampa newspapers said the actual attendance was less than 1000.

I saw an article today about the White Sox game.  They had paid attendance of 10,377 but only 974 showed up.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2769847-report-974-fans-attended-rays-vs-white-sox-game-at-guaranteed-rate-field

MLB officially reports tickets sold, not turnstile, so that's what you'll always see in box scores.  They use tickets sold as a factor when they figure out revenue sharing between big and small market teams.  I'm sure teams in all leagues use a lot of liberty in determining tickets "sold" and count freebies given to corporations, vendors, advertisers, charities, etc.  A company slaps their logo on a wall at a stadium and gives the team money for it, in return the team gives the company 100 tickets for each game, then the team counts that as sold tickets.

11 hours ago, Mr. Br***** Bonanza said:

The Wolf Pack happen to do it more than most.

That's complete BS and you know it. If you took the announced attendances and compared them to the actual attendance, then the Wolf Pack's numbers would be pretty close. The White Sox doing that is just sad, and minor league teams saying they sold out 42 games when they don't is just as bad. The Yard Goats have been having announced attendances of around 3800 when the place has only had about 500 people there. It's sad and it is only being made worse by the team ****ing and the weather being so cold. It's almost as bad as the Whale and the fake numbers they used to show how "great" they were doing.

"The Yard Goats have been having announced attendances of around 3800 when the place has only had about 500 people there."

That's also BS and you know it.

If you're going to call people out on their BS, be ready to get called out on your own.

Usually I would say Wolf Pack are off by about 800-1000 people.   Like when they announce 2600 for a Wednesday night but you know they are around 1700 actually there.  

Basically arpund 25% of any WP game, I doubt this is any different for any AHL team struggling to draw interest. 

Change the moribund brand to anything and you'll get those 800-1000  butts back in the seats for a year or two.  Just look at the difference between the rock cat brand 2014 2015 to Goats 2017 and this year. 

Brands Matter!!

" I'm sure teams in all leagues use a lot of liberty in determining tickets "sold" and count freebies given to corporations, vendors, advertisers, charities, etc. "

Correct.  I've noticed more and more that when an article reports an attendance number, it's always with the preface "The announced attendance last night was _____"

Announced attendance and actual turnstile attendance are always two different numbers.  Every team.  Every sport.  Every level.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MarkH2919 said:

"The Yard Goats have been having announced attendances of around 3800 when the place has only had about 500 people there."

That's also BS and you know it.

If you're going to call people out on their BS, be ready to get called out on your own.

Have you been to a game this year? Have you seen the pictures their fans, their employees, and even they have posted? I've been to a bunch of games and I seriously doubt there was more than 1000 people at most of them. There isn't a ton of places that you can't see from most of the stadium and the place is empty.