Sign in to follow this  
TrueHartfordHockeyFan

Freitas Upgrade and possible expansion or new arena in the works.

So, UConn is working on the plans to upgrade Freitas to either be UConn's new on-campus arena, or it will be the practice facility for UConn and they will build an arena on campus soon. Construction is planned to start next year on Freitas and possibly a on-campus arena.

https://boardoftrustees.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/1799/2018/06/Att.-6-FY19-Capital-Budget.pdf

https://boardoftrustees.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/1799/2018/04/Att.-32-Athletics-District-Development.pdf

:sigh:

Fraudie, they've been talking about a new on-campus hockey facility for the better part of a decade now, and to this point, there hasn't been a shovel of dirt moved, not a seat taken out, not a sign moved.  Nothing.  Putting stuff on a paper is very nice, but until there is actual work done...I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Oh...and Mr. BB is right on the money.  UConn hockey IS Hartford hockey.  Not the "professional" team that plays there.

Uconn hockey and basketball need Hartford games period. 100% on campus won't draw as well. At the same time its amazing they can't make a multipurpose modern arena that can house both basketball/hockey. Many of the other hockey east schools have this abillity from BU/BC/UNH/UM*****. And for a state school like Um***** they aren't getting NCAA mens basketball or American football revenue but still have it.

They really need a modern looking 12,000 seat on campus arena to house both hockey and basketball and then most of the schedule at the XLC for basketball and hockey.

Coach Cavanaugh chat at the TPC 

He told me he'd love a Whaker night where UConn wears the Whalers colors. 

I was like wow this coach totally gets the market. Pay your respects at the door and the market loves ya.  

We have examples to either side as well. 

Good for Coach Cav.  Not a surprise that he gets the market, but for him to say that he'd love a Whaler night and have his team wear the colors...fantastic.

Speaking of UConn...the schedule should be coming out literally any day now.  Most of it is already set.