Sign in to follow this  
MarkH2919

Hartford Athletic soccer

I know I have gone on record here saying that we as a city and region shouldn't be messing around with minor league soccer, we should be setting our sights higher, like for MLS.  That said, welcome to Hartford Athletic.

Now...a quick review.

1) the Hartford Yard Goats chose blue and green for colors, play Bra$$ Bonanza in tribute to the Whalers, and have the highest attendance in the Eastern League, and are 4th in all of double A for attendance.

2) the UConn hockey program plays Bra$$ Bonanza after goals in tribute to the Whalers, and have averaged in the top half of Hockey East and the top 15-20 teams nationally in college hockey since joining Hockey East.

3) the new soccer team, the aforementioned Hartford Athletic, chose blue and green for colors, will play Bra$$ Bonanza after goals in tribute to the Whalers, and per reports, have commitments for 1000 season tickets already.

It's rather amazing what happens when smart people actually listen to the public instead of trying to shove a stale tired brand down everyone's throat.  

Edited by MarkH2919

As much as I love this, Hartford's still a minor league city and don't see us getting a MLS franchise anytime soon or at all. Non major cities like Tulsa, Richmond, Frensno, all have USL teams and it fits

Haven't heard anything about them playing Br***** Bonanza but I'm wondering how people are going to feel about their affiliation with the Revolution and Robert Kraft. I know a lot of people still hold a grudge against him because they blame him for the Whalers leaving Hartford.

From the Journal Inquirer:

The team’s colors will be blue and green, a nod to the city’s last professional sports franchise, the Hartford Whalers, as well as to the city’s Double-A baseball team, the Yard Goats.

“As a huge Hartford Whalers fan, we had to go with blue and green,” Mandell said. “These are Hartford’s colors now.”

After the last go around of expansion it was clear we just aren't on the short list. But honestly the MLS has a huge issue with overpriced venues, taxpayers footing the bill and the the fans not showing up due to outrageous prices. Just like the Yard Goats and Uconn hockey cheap prices and a smaller league soccer team with affordable prices may be the way to go.

On 7/12/2018 at 11:49 AM, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

Haven't heard anything about them playing Br***** Bonanza but I'm wondering how people are going to feel about their affiliation with the Revolution and Robert Kraft. I know a lot of people still hold a grudge against him because they blame him for the Whalers leaving Hartford.

I wouldn't step foot in that stadium if they end up being a farm team for Bob Kraft.