Sign in to follow this  
VinceCT

WhalerTalk, My Assessment

I know you have been waiting on pins and needles for this. I viewed three of the WhalerTalk episodes on YouTube. It is what I expected. Let me summarize the general points:

Whaler gear is 2nd in sales. The Russian Lady is coming back. Megan Fox wore a Whaler shirt. The Russian Lady is coming back.

Hartford is the largest market without a team. The Russian Lady is coming back. Don't count Hartford out. And also THE RUSSIAN LADY IS COMING BACK!!!!

The host, Mr. Jerry Erwin, has a feather duster up his rear. Cripers! How up can you get?? Of course the incredible contradiction of him being and admitted Bruins fan and wanting the Whalers back is hard to fathom. You cannot be both. I do not think any Clevelander became a Pittsburgh Steelers fan when the Browns left. Pick one or the other Jerry.

I did not watch the HB Jr. show. I figure it would just be an arse-kissing exhibition and I really did not need to watch it. Paul Doyle is as interesting as watching Jell-O harden. This Peter Hindle does not know the difference between Hartford and San Jose. Finally Dennis House gets it all backwards.

I am tired of the "largest market without a team" crap. Some place in America is going to hold that title. It so happens to be here. If the NBA leaves Sacramento then that city will have the title. In other words, it is meaningless. House believes Hartford's biggest liability is actually a strength, that being its position between NY and Boston.

(End of Part One)

Part Two:

Do not underestimate the power of the Bruins and the owner Jeremy Jacobs. Them being a big money team along with Jacobs's reported close relationship with the Commissioner give them a ton of sway in the league. Just one point for emphasis, did you notice that the NHL started taking concussions seriously only after a Bruin got clocked? Not a coincidence. If reports are to be believed Boston College is keeping UConn out of the ACC. If this is true don't you think the Boston Bruins have the power to keep Hartford out of the NHL?

The show is overall a Baldwing butt-kissing display. No real analysis of his past or his "ideas" for the arena. Now I did not see any dates on the shows so maybe they either have not discussed or posted the show where Baldwin's arena plan was discussed. But I doubt there will be any mention of the fact that the XL cannot be retro-fitted in the manner stated by Baldwin. One would think Dennis House being a "reporter" would notice this but then again this seems to be above his competence.

Naturally the show is not going to be Emmy material but really the delusions are flowing like the rapids. But I figure someone has to like it.

I know quite a few die hard bruins fans who want the return of the whalers. I think one reason is they wouldn't have to travel so far to see the bruins. Another reason is there is such a good rivalry between the bruins and whalers. If it was the bruins that were in trouble and not the islanders I would be disappointed. As much as I hate the bruins I wouldn't want to see them leave.

"Do not underestimate the power of the Bruins and the owner Jeremy Jacobs. Them being a big money team along with Jacobs's reported close relationship with the Commissioner give them a ton of sway in the league. Just one point for emphasis, did you notice that the NHL started taking concussions seriously only after a Bruin got clocked? Not a coincidence. If reports are to be believed Boston College is keeping UConn out of the ACC. If this is true don't you think the Boston Bruins have the power to keep Hartford out of the NHL?"

The BOG is 30 owners, not one. It doesn't take a unanimous vote to move a team, and it doesn't take a unanimous vote to approve a city for an expansion team. So while Jacobs does have some power, he doesn't have enough to sway a vote against Hartford. Also, it's probably in his best interest to have the NHL in Hartford, as his company, Delaware North, does concessions at the XL Center. There's much more money to be made serving 13-15K/game than there is serving 5-6K/game.

As for the BC thing, regardless of if it's true, there is a huge difference between the two situations. I am sure you remember UConn (and other Big East schools) sued BC. BC didn't exactly leave the Big East on glowing terms, and while some of the schools have gotten over it, UConn clearly hasn't, and to be honest, neither has BC. Now, if BC is smart (and they aren't, their AD, Gene DiFilippo is a complete idiot for leaving in the first place), they sshould jump at the chance for UConn to join the league, it would give them a natural rival, something they haven't had since they jumped to the ACC, and second, it might be good for them to get some interest going in Boston...if you look at their attendance numbers over the last few years, it's declined every year. And, like the Jacobs thing, BC is one school, the league has 12 teams...and I'm betting that folks like Roy Williams and Coach K have a little more say on how things go in the ACC than BC does.

VINCE

This Peter Hindle does not know the difference between Hartford and San Jose.

San Jose is in California and Hartford is in Connecticut. I think I know the difference, unless you want to get into specifics?

As for time context of the interviews, let me fill you in all of the Whaler Talk episodes we did were done in early to mid August.

We have a few more shows coming up one with your buddy Scott Grey and another with Howard Baldwin Sr. where we will discuss with him the plans in the XL. Our show may not be top notch proffessional show but

Scott Grey

Howard Baldwin Jr.

Dennis House

David Pannagore Mayors COO

Paul Doyle

All easily agreed to be on the show and post show agreed to come back, they really liked the format of just talking Hockey.

Howard Baldwin Sr. sought us out to get on the show I thought that was cool.

I support the Baldwins but as I have said before and done before I take your questions from here and pose them to the Baldwins, yes even the tough questions, they know that someone of them have told me what they think about this board.

Seriously Vince the fact that you watched and bothered to post about our show is a ringing endorsement to me, thanks for watching and shoot me some wonder**l questions that you would like to send to your buddy Chris. Maybe Jacobs could come on the show and you could be part of a live studio audience. lol That is in the works as well.

I suggest you do watch the Baldwin JR interview, notice his reaction when I ask what team would him and Baldwin Sr. think has a good shot to come here. At that time he knew something but overall he kept whatever NHL cards they have close to the chest.

I must make a correction. I meant to say the mayor's COO Mr. Panagore does not know the difference between San Jose and Hartford. My apologies to Hindle for the mistake. Not that I think Hindle is worth anything. But at least if I am going to rip him it should be accurate. So now I am going to do that. So attendance dropped after Ron Francis was traded. Didn't you notice on your little chart that attendance was dropping BEFORE he was traded as well? I didn't think so. Any competent reporter would see that fans copped out and left real fans like me hanging out to dry. People like me think cowards like them do not deserve a team and "reporters" like you should at least wonder why all these "favorite Whalers" had to be traded before they won anything. Maybe if they did something similar here the team might still be here. But I guess that is above your intelligence.

I actually liked viewing some of the episodes so far. Liked the Dennis House interview the most. Don't let Bitter Vincent deter you from the work you have done.

Pannagore said he was involved with bringing the Sharks to San Jose, you can figure the rest out, I suppose it was to lend some credibility that he is familiar with bringing a team to a city. He'll be back so let me know what you guys want to ask him.

I made the chart to show that the attendance dropped as the teams roster got worse. Yes your right, It dropped before that because the team wasnt in first place anymore, Dineen was gone, Ferarro was gone, Liut was gone, Ronnie was stripped of his Captaincy. But it really dropped more after the Francis trade, notice we dont call it the Cullen trade? I am surprised Vince that you wouldnt mostly agree with the attendance point I made?

Jerry just asked me what would You guys like to see on the show. Here's your big moment. Lol Just ask yourself what would Vince want to see? Lol

I don't have to be an awesome reporter. This is public access if you want to hold me to some journalistic standard you hold then let's hear it, and if it's reasonable I will take your advice but I don't have much confidence when it comes to your thoughts because they usually are over cooked, and intended to stir the pot.

"Any competent reporter would see that fans copped out and left real fans like me hanging out to dry. "

This might be the **nniest thing I have seen on this board in the year and change I have been here.

There are a lot of things I can call you, but I would never, ever, EVER call you a "real fan", Vince.

>>>I made the chart to show that the attendance dropped as the teams roster got worse. Yes your right, It dropped before that because the team wasnt in first place anymore, Dineen was gone, Ferarro was gone, Liut was gone, Ronnie was stripped of his Captaincy. But it really dropped more after the Francis trade, notice we dont call it the Cullen trade? I am surprised Vince that you wouldnt mostly agree with the attendance point I made?<<<

The point is we were lazy fans who did not try to learn new players. As for your list of players, they are not exactly the Edmonton Oilers. See, I know the difference. If you didn't like the Whalers because they lost then fine. It makes us no different than many other cities. But people complained about losing then complained after all the players who did the losing were traded. That makes you a cop-out artist. Someone of your limited intelligence has not yet figured that out.

As for Jerry The Bruins Fan, move to Boston with the other s*****bags.

>>>I don't have to be an awesome reporter. This is public access if you want to hold me to some journalistic standard you hold then let's hear it, and if it's reasonable I will take your advice but I don't have much confidence when it comes to your thoughts because they usually are over cooked, and intended to stir the pot.<<<

If you make incomplete, stupid, or inane points I will say so. If you don't like it TS.

I would like to mention one other thing I noticed watching the segments with Ding-A-Ling Denny House. He made what appeared to be an attempt to critique Tampa fans regarding their attitude towards hockey. He made a comment saying to them it was more entertainment and not a sporting event. He based that on the notion that they do not grow up playing hockey. As if he can read their minds regarding their attitudes about hockey. "Entertainment" and "Sporting Event" are in many ways interchangeable. Instead of making a point Little Denny took an unwarranted cheap shot. It was New England snobbery in **ll display. Just another example of our deplorable behavior these past fifteen years.

Vince "That makes you a cop-out artist."

I dont think you have any idea what you are talking about? How am I cop out artist because people in Hartford stopped going to games because the team had a fire sale?

Where in America does attendance increase because a team had a fire sale? You have a better chance finding a three legged balerina. Sorry to disapoint you but Hartford fans are not that different from fans in most cities.

Vince "If you make incomplete, stupid, or inane points I will say so. If you don't like it TS"

I may do that at some point, and thats ok, I dont mind if people disagree or even think I am talking crazy. However in this case I did not and you havent proven anything other than your up to the same old tricks and tired routine as usual.

Attendance dropped because Hartford replaced

Liut with Corriveau

Francis with Cullen

Samuelsson with ZZ

Dineen with Lindsay Carson

Ferraro with Doug Crossman

And many more aw**l cost cutting, fire sale trades, for has been or never will be players.

Were you a big Brian Lawton fan after we got him, Norm Maciver and Don Maloney for Carey Wilson from the Rangers???

What did you think was going to happen to attendance? If those trades were done in Buffalo, Nashville, Columbus, or Carolina what do you think would happen?

Attendance would drop

Jerry knows I hate the Bruins, I remind him of it, but frankly thats his problem not mine. lol. He is a good guy and he put this whole show together and got the guests. He is doing something for Hartford Hockey. What are you doing?

VINCE "that fans copped out and left real fans like me hanging out to dry."

Sorry but your fandom is under double secret probation and has been since 1997, we'll let you know when you can be a real fan again after you show improvement. Its up to you.

The Francis trade was just one in a mix of horrible things to happen all at once: The team got aw**l, ticket prices went way up along with player salaries, the big insurance companies completely stopped supporting the team and buying boxes, huge recession, bandwagon CT fans switching to UConn, etc, etc.

Vince commenting on Dennis House

"It was New England snobbery in **ll display."

Dennis House is from Michigan,but I do appreciate you taking a look at the videos.

Vince is just a troll. Probably an old and fat Wolf Pack season ticket holder who's made the team rebranded.

BTW, Vince, it's **nny how Wolf Pack fans have longed for Whalers fans to "move on" yet, when they try to, you say they can't be Bruins fans. I'm sure you'd be happy if they became Ranger fans, but Bruins, nope.

J H Christ!!!! What a load to respond to. Well here it goes.

>>>I dont think you have any idea what you are talking about? How am I cop out artist because people in Hartford stopped going to games because the team had a fire sale? <<<

When you complain about losing then not show up because the players that did all the losing were traded you are a cop out artist, especially if you decide to become a fan of the teams said players were traded to, more on that later.

>>>Sorry to disapoint you but Hartford fans are not that different from fans in most cities.<<<

Oh but we paint ourselves as if we are something special. We have barked for the past 15 years how we are a "hockeytown". We cry and whine about how we were robbed of "our team". That would imply that people came from far and wide to fill the building with waves of green and blue. Well that was not the case. In reality Whaler fans were picked on by family, friends, and supermarket deli counter workers for being fans. (That last one happened to me, twice)

>>>Liut with Corriveau Francis with Cullen Samuelsson with ZZ Dineen with Lindsay Carson Ferraro with Doug Crossman<<<

Not exactly the Edmonton Oilers. By the way Dineen was traded for Murry Craven you idiot. I don't expect people to know how many gallons of water it takes to make the ice surface (heck, I don't even know that) but I do expect you to know something as basic as this.

>>>Were you a big Brian Lawton fan after we got him, Norm Maciver and Don Maloney for Carey Wilson from the Rangers??? <<<

I see you are a participant in the online course: "Write Like A Fourth Grader with Paul Doyle of The Hartford Courant".

End of Part One.

Edited by Guest

>>>What did you think was going to happen to attendance? If those trades were done in Buffalo, Nashville, Columbus, or Carolina what do you think would happen?<<<

I don't know what would happen there I don't live there. What I expected here was a little more savvy from the fans here. Attendance was dropping before any of these guys were traded. So people were losing interest. I did not expect people showing up to moan and whine and wearing Penguin jerseys AFTER they are traded away. That was when I turned against my fellow fans. At least the Bruin and Ranger fans around here were consistent. The biggest group of phonies in CT are Penguin fans who used to be Whaler fans.

To go back to a previous point, I would have loved to have seen some of you folks in Edmonton around the same time. They let go players that won five Stanley Cups. We let go of players that couldn't get out of fourth place. Then we seem to take joy in their successes with other teams. Why did they have to be traded to other teams before they won anything? I'm not saying they had to win the Cup but really. Perhaps a third place finish would have been nice. Perhaps more than one fluke playoff win would have been nice as well. Perhaps they could have skunked the Bruins in 1990 instead of handing the series to them on a platter (or did you all forget the blown 5-2 lead in game four).

By the way if you are still moaning over Ray Ferraro you really don't know much about hockey.

End of Part Two.

Edited by Guest

>>>Jerry knows I hate the Bruins, I remind him of it, but frankly thats his problem not mine.<<<

You're damn right that's his problem. It is an irreconcilable contradiction to be a Bruins fan and a Whalers fan. I will not debate it.

>>>Sorry but your fandom is under double secret probation and has been since 1997, we'll let you know when you can be a real fan again after you show improvement. Its up to you.<<<

Screw You!!! I have forgotten more about hockey than you will ever learn. I am sorry I have the knowledge and sense to understand the realities of the situation. Maybe when you mature some more you will as well.

>>>Dennis House is from Michigan,but I do appreciate you taking a look at the videos.<<<

He has been here long enough. My criticism stands.

>>>BTW, Vince, it's **nny how Wolf Pack fans have longed for Whalers fans to "move on" yet, when they try to, you say they can't be Bruins fans. I'm sure you'd be happy if they became Ranger fans, but Bruins, nope.<<<

It is one thing if you have become a Ranger fan or Bruin fan and are not a dual member of the HWBC or are moaning about a team coming back. You have picked a team and have stuck with it. Jerry the Bruins Fan is simply a very con**sed person. Once again you cannot be both Whaler and Bruin fans.

End of Discussion.

Vince “J H Christ!!!! What a load to respond to. Well here it goes.”

Its ok you can do it!

Vince “When you complain about losing then not show up because the players that did all the losing were traded you are a cop out artist, especially if you decide to become a fan of the teams said players were traded to, more on that later.”

Not me at all, so again who are you talking to?

Vince “Oh but we paint ourselves as if we are something special. We have barked for the past 15 years how we are a "hockeytown".”

Yes. I believe we are, to believe otherwise is a self defeating prophecy.

Vince "Well that was not the case. In reality Whaler fans were picked on by family, friends, and supermarket deli counter workers for being fans. (That last one happened to me, twice)"

This is very interesting Vince it gives us alot of insight into why you are and why you are the way you are. I never realized that these rants you have may be equivalent to group therapy for you. I am not even being a wise *****.

Vince “Not exactly the Edmonton Oilers. By the way Dineen was traded for Murry Craven you idiot. I don't expect people to know how many gallons of water it takes to make the ice surface (heck, I don't even know that) but I do expect you to know something as basic as this.”

Ooops I made a mistake. Ok I am over it. Thanks for looking that up!

Vince “At least the Bruin and Ranger fans around here were consistent. The biggest group of phonies in CT are Penguin fans who used to be Whaler fans.”

Dude, seriously these are such childish thoughts, if you were a teenager I could understand but sports and jerseys loyalties mean little when you love Hockey!

I mean this as a wake up call, your too old to be thinking like this.