Sign in to follow this  
4WHA-Back-in-NHL

Let’s start over by burying the hatchet

Long, I know but this is my introduction to the group.

In the current situation I would recommend clearing off the desk and opening a window, because this current situation stinks horrendously. All of us need to come together and formulate a plan on attaining manageable goals, small at first and larger as time goes on. When I first introduced myself to the club, I told you guys, at that meeting of my deep love for the Hartford Whalers. When I think of hockey I’m stuck in the years between the early 80s to the mid 90s and I also expressed my total distain for the Wolf Pack. However, it had nothing to do with them being the affiliates of the New York Rangers, it was the fact that they weren’t my Hartford Whalers and I couldn’t stand the mere sight of a Minor League Hockey team replacing our professional team. Now after these many years I do realized it was the wrong decision. I am one of many that helped **eled the fire and gave the naysayers the opportunity to say that this market is broken or too small. I’m not going to stand by anymore and allow these state officials use the attendance of an AHL team to be an excuse not try to try to restore our city back to greatness. Without being able to participate in the Hartford Courant’s Whaler Board, for only one reason that no one ever got back to me with my login information. I found myself a spectator upon that board frequently; I really don’t know where this crazy thinking originated, but Whaler Fans should know without me saying this and let me be very blunt about this, all of the pain that we suffered 1979-1997 absolutely none of this pain was ever brought on by the New York Rangers. Where did ***** come from? We never played them in the payoffs and most of the time they were in the Patrick Division. Look, as long as the affiliation is not the Burins, Canadians, or Carolina, who really gives a ***** what the affiliation is.

Cont.

All I know they are not our Whalers and that’s only hockey team I really care about. I don’t know who, but someone phased it best on the Board when they said “When we were in the league the Rangers were just another team on our schedule that we wanted to beat”, I couldn’t agree more with this opinion. I did a complete 180 about how I feel about this, however, the HWBC needs more now than ever to support the AHL in Hartford. We need to go to games, if we are STH we need to speak to our reps and try arrange all of us in the same section together. Then, we must increase our numbers and start to take over the building and then the City. We need to prove to these government officials and to the local media that we want our dream to again become a reality. Make no mistake about it gentlemen we are salesmen and we need to collectively sell this dream to others. Thank you for taking the time to read this letter and let me leave you with these two clips from youtube. One is what Quebec is doing, watch the end because the North of the Boarder cares about our team and clearly understands the feelings we bare. The other describes our current situation here in Hartford. To our Wolf Pack friends please view the 2nd clip, this divide needs to stop now. For those who don’t want to contribute to the greater good of restoring the NHL to Hartford they need to be brushed aside and we need to continue to keep our eyes on the prize. Join the p*****ion to restore NHL then let’s be divided. Lastly, to the younger guys you truly don’t know how magical it was to grow up with profession sports team in your backyard, believe me it was great.

http://youtu.be/FTXVsTbT3to

Edited by Guest

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

You realized that 15 years too late. It's people like you that will be to blame when we have no team at all, cause you quit on Hartford Hockey. I feel Hockey is the greatest sport in the world, it shouldn't matter what level of play the league is that your home town team plays in. I guess if we had a lot more people that thought like that we would have the NHL back already. But I seriously question how many people in the Hartford area have a huge p*****ion to the sport of hockey. Obviously not enough......

The AHL is NOT the greatest sport in the world. Even people in Quebec turned their noses at it. Enough of this nonsense. I blame Rangers fans for the low attendance, not enough of them cared to see their scratches play practice games up in Hartford. I don't blame anyone else!

Whale2WOLF wrote :

> ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

>

> You realized that 15 years too late. It's people like you that will be to

> blame when we have no team at all, cause you quit on Hartford Hockey.

We didn't quit on Hartford hockey, Hartford hockey quit on us. I play hockey, watch it on TV, & have attended many NHL & AHL games at several different arenas since the Whalers left.

However, it's a **ndamental business principle that you give your customers what they want. If you give them what they don't want, you either won't make any profit or you won't stay in business.

& here's another guy telling other people what team they should root for & why or why not. Please speak for yourself.

Hartford hockey quit on us???? LOL

Howard Baldwin quit on you once you invited him back and he did it again.

You can make all the excuses you want for him but when it comes right down to it. His life style is much greater than most of the people on this board but did he put that in jeopardy? No he quit on you again.

Wow, so I officially joined the circus. Whale2Wolf that’s the kind attitude we need to extinguish. Don’t ever question my loyalty to this sport, but before I consider your points please move out of your mother’s house first. As I admitted and come too realized I was wrong. I do believe the AHL is not going anywhere, like discussed before the market is too big not to consider. Tackla have clue please, I wonder if you were in the stands back in “92” to watch the Whalers defeat the Canadians in game 6 for their last playoff victory (I was). I'm starting to believe that you and W2W were playing pocket pool in grade school with your comment about the Rangers. Try reading my long winded ***** again.

Edited by Guest

4WHA-,

I think you may have me con**sed with MarkH, he is the one that still lives at home.

But in all seriousness. I didn't mean to be that harsh, but it is frustrating to watch people take 15 years to realize something when you sat next to them back then.

There are so many people that feel now what you felt 14 years ago and there isn't anything that can change someone like Tackla.

People sit here and say its the name its the league its the affiliation. But bottom line its people that don't want to work together and build with what we have now.

If you mean something serious 4WHA, then convince the Hartford Whalers Booster Club to support the CT Whale as if it were the Hartford Whalers. Then your talking something that hasn't been done before. The HWBC sets up a table and doesn't even leave the concourse during play. Tell me how can that be productive for the **ture of Hartford hockey???

Ataboy tackla!!!! I ment to mention Quebec and their little interest in ahl crap. Let me say again for our 3 uconn fans. Woud you continue to support them by buying a ticket if they were playing teams that were in the yankee div.??? Don't bother to answer I know the answer: NO! There will never be burying the hachet. Once the keys were haned over to the hated rangers, it was over!!!! I will add,the 3 out spoken Uconn fans should spend more time blogging on a uconn fan site and forget your BS talking a NHL return. Ranger fans made their bed so shutup and live with it.

W2W now that’s the attitude we need and your points should be considered. I’m only guessing that you are a young man I don’t know, but please consider this, I never left the sport. My team that I was born and raised with left me doesn’t feel good and the pain never goes away. As a sports fan it is a birth right to carry your team to your death bed and changing teams for whatever reason is an unspoken mortal sin. I grew up with the Hartford Whalers and when it was time for my generation carry on the traditions they left us on the door step and abandoned.

My main pursuit is to help this market not hinder, but more importantly for my children. Let’s be honest if the State of CT has become a place to educate our children and send them packing for better opportunities elsewhere. If we want the market great again then we have to do it together.

You sound like a real nice guy who is open minded to understand how us Whaler fans going back to the WHA feel. The only way for a hachet to be buried is 1. rangers gotta go 2. return the team name to Whalers 3. return the the nhl Whaler logo Those are for starters.

I want the Whalers back period, but staying away from the building that they occupied will only sabotage us. I finally realize that, we have to put blinders on when comes to affiliations. Does it really matter and the real problem is not the Rangers. Forget the Rangers please this is the Hartford Whalers Board isn’t. It was the Burins, Candians, and F’nn Carolina that we should hate period. Really, the Rangers to us is the guy that we know two blocks down that we heard were A-holes. This haze that needs to be lifted from Hartford. Look at that video of what Quebec is doing we need to do the same. Spending all this time worrying about the Rangers is crazy. Let’s get back in the league than we hate the Rangers. But if Hockey Hartford is being played we better get our *****es in the seats or we are giving the political hacks reasons for not supporting this sport. Now that real enemy people. The ruling cl***** wants us to be broke, desperate, and stupid. Whaler Fans remember who are real rivals were. Forget the Rangers and worry about fighting to get the Whalers back.

So I see W2W is taking sshots at me on other threads as well...

Keep talking trash, loser...sooner or later, it will come back to bite you in the butt.

Supporting the AHL does not get you back the NHL! The more you spread this nonsense, the sooner you'll be in that red and blue Wolf Pack STRAIGHTJACKET with the rest of WORM. :shock:

So what do you recommend? I’m talking about quiting this BS and start actively thinking about what's good for **ture here in Hartford. Please, I carry the scars that bled green and they run deep so don’t speak to me like a fool. What is your story.

Edited by Guest

Tackla wrote :

> Supporting the AHL does not get you back the NHL!

Your a moron. You really think it was just a coincidence that Winnipeg consistently ranked 2nd in AHL attendance before getting another shot at the NHL?

UCHuskies wrote :

> Tackla wrote :

> > Supporting the AHL does not get you back the NHL!

>

> Your a moron. You really think it was just a coincidence that Winnipeg consistently

> ranked 2nd in AHL attendance before getting another **** at the NHL?

Yes it was AHL attendance that got Winnipeg back into the NHL, & not their new billionaire owner who wanted to bring a team back there.

Surely if Howard Baldwin found a few billion dollars under his couch cushions tomorrow, he'd take a good, long look at Hartford's AHL attendance before bringing a team back here. Just like Karmanos looked at Carolina's AHL numbers before relocating the Whalers there.

HYMH is right, the attendance is way down the list. Billionaire owner with deep pockets and a new or heavily renovated XL Center are much more important.

Mark, I didn’t think that’s what he stated, I believe HYMH point was attendance of supporting the sport were also were strong considering factors. Your points about the major renovations are right on. My to question to you and to other members on this board is how do we start moving in that directions? Remember m*****es dictate what transpires in the market and that’s my reason for starting this log. But all this BS brings us **rther away from the entertainment we desire.

I don't think it will ever happen. You are always going to have the anti-Rangers, for one reason or another, and the anti-AHL people. Even if the Rangers leave, you will still have the anti-AHL people. People on here say the are Hartford Hockey fans, but say they won't support the team that is playing in Hartford. There aren't a lot of Hartford Hockey fans, but there are a lot of Whalers only fans, Wolf Pack/Whale only fans, and other "I will only go if it's this way" fans.

That was sarcasm, trust me.

To answer your question, I will reiterate what I have said all along...the key behind any XL Center renovation is UConn. If they support the idea, it will happen. I still firmly believe that had UConn supported Howard's idea when it was first presented a year or so ago, the state would not have turned a deaf ear towards Howard.

Hartfordyouremyhome wrote :

> Yes it was AHL attendance that got Winnipeg back into the NHL, & not their new

> billionaire owner who wanted to bring a team back there.

>

> Surely if Howard Baldwin found a few billion dollars under his couch cushions

> tomorrow, he'd take a good, long look at Hartford's AHL attendance before bringing a

> team back here. Just like Karmanos looked at Carolina's AHL numbers before relocating

> the Whalers there.

You do realize the NHL has to approve of a team relocating to Hartford (or any city) first right? No matter how much money baldwin finds in his couch, the NHL WONT allow a team to come here unless the market has proven it can support one. Averaging 4k per game in the AHL is not proving we can support an NHL team.

As for Raleigh, your talking about a completely different animal. At the time of the move, Raleigh was 2x the size of Hartford and had HUGE growth potential (its now 4x the size of Hartford). Along with it being the only NHL team in a 3 state radius, the Raleigh-Durham area had 50 years worth of sellout college basketball and football games for 3 major institutions (Duke, UNC, NC State) to prove it could support a team.

4WHA-Back-in-NHL wrote :

> Mark, I didn’t think that’s what he stated, I believe HYMH point was

> attendance of supporting the sport were also were strong considering

> factors.

Honestly to a rich potential NHL owner, the importance of AHL attendance comes somewhere above the number of the city's viable literary societies, & somewhere below how many Dunkin' Donuts are in the area from which he can buy his favorite cup of coffee.

As to the point of how great Winnipeg's AHL attendance was, (& I realize that that was a different poster's point) there are some Sunday morning pond hockey games in Newfoundland that outdrew the Atlanta Thrashers & Florida Panthers. Pro-hockey on the plains of Alberta, Canada, hundreds of miles away from anything, is not a tough sell.

"As for Raleigh, your talking about a completely different animal. At the time of the move, Raleigh was 2x the size of Hartford and had HUGE growth potential (its now 4x the size of Hartford). Along with it being the only NHL team in a 3 state radius, the Raleigh-Durham area had 50 years worth of sellout college basketball and football games for 3 major institutions (Duke, UNC, NC State) to prove it could support a team."

The Carolina Hurricanes, in their 12 years in Raleigh (no, I'm not counting the 2 years in Greensboro), the Hurricanes have had exactly ONE season where they have averaged 90%+ capacity, that coming in 2006/07, the season after they won the Stanley Cup. Before that, they never had a season in Raleigh where they averaged higher than 83% capacity. My point is it has taken quite a while, almost a whole decade if you include the 2 years in Greensboro, before the Canes really found their niche in the Triangle. My point is...it took success, far greater than any success they had in their time in Hartford, to get people into their building down there.