Sign in to follow this  
Monizzle145

Winter Classic at the Yale Bowl?

So I am back up at college and was talking hockey with some friends. Long story short my friends cousin just started working at the NYC NHL offices and there are preliminary discussions for a Rangers vs. Bruins winter cl*****ic matchup in January 2014. Now let me say from what i heard its just an idea up in the air nothing close to being done at all and again it is from a friends cousin i dont know the guy personally but it got me thinking about if it actually happened.

How excited would you be should a bruins rangers winter cl*****ic game be played in CT? Since the NHL is not coming back to CT in the near **ture i would think this would be a really cool event for the state. Even as a flyer fan i would really consider going to this game just because its close and its pro hockey in CT. You could even have the whale and providence bruins play a game there too. Just the idea that this was an idea really made me start to get excited about even the long shot possibility of this happening.

I wonder what college is stealing Monizzle's money because anyone who would actually there is a possibility of the WC being played in CT has to be an idiot.

There is the lack of lights, there is the lack of luxury suites and the like. Where are the NHL br***** going to stay, dorm rooms at Yale while the kids are home for Christmas?

If the Rangers are going to host a Winter Cl*****ic, it will be either in the Bronx or Flushing. Even my suggestion of Rutgers Stadium isn't really a good one, but it is better than having it at the Yale Bowl.

VinceCT wrote :

> I wonder what college is stealing Monizzle's money because anyone who would

> actually there is a possibility of the WC being played in CT has to be an

> idiot.

Haha if you went to a school where they taught you how to read paragraphs you would have seen how i said i understand it was just an idea thrown out there not something that was actually happening. And if you actually graduated high school you would be able to see that in my post i also said I thought if it did happen for some reason it would be a cool thing. I never said it was going to happen i just said it was an idea thrown out there.

The Winter Cl*****ic coming to the Yale Bowl isn't just a goofy internet rumor:

From the New York Times on a New York Winter Cl*****ic:

The N.H.L. has looked at Citi Field, MetLife Stadium, the Yale Bowl and West Point as possible sites, Collins said before the Flyers-Rangers alumni game at Citizens Bank Park Sa****ay afternoon.

"There are a lot of really great venues in the New York area," Collins said. "Yankee Stadium is obviously a special place, but we can't get in there for the next couple of years" because of college bowl game commitments. The Yankees have held the Pinstripe Bowl on Dec. 30 the past two years. The Winter Cl*****ic is usually played on Jan. 1, although this time it will be played a day later to avoid television contract conflicts with the N.F.L.

While I would agree that the odds of the game taking place at Yale are slim, it would make sense to have a Rangers-Bruins game, as Connecticut is split between New York and Boston.

The Winter Cl*****ic, even more than the All-Star Game, is the NHL's signature event during the regular season. The league would be absolutely bananas to even consider having it at the Yale Bowl. I hear next year's game is in Ann Arbor at the University of Michigan, which is another college stadium...but that stadium has had major renovations recently (lights installed this year, a big renovation that was completed for the start of the 2010 season, UConn was the first opponent in the newly renovated stadium). Plus, Michigan Stadium has hosted outdoor hockey before, Michigan hosted Michigan State there. To have the game at the Yale Bowl, instead of either Yankee Stadium, Citi Field, the Meadowlands, or even Michie Stadium @ West Point, would be completely moronic. Let's put it this way...We'll see a brand new, state-of-the-art 18,000 seat facility built in Hartford or its suburbs before the NHL agrees to play the Winter Cl*****ic at the Yale Bowl.

MarkH2919 wrote :

> The Winter Cl*****ic, even more than the All-Star Game, is the NHL's

> signature event during the regular season. The league would be absolutely

> bananas to even consider having it at the Yale Bowl. I hear next year's

> game is in Ann Arbor at the University of Michigan, which is another

> college stadium...but that stadium has had major renovations recently

> (lights installed this year, a big renovation that was completed for the

> start of the 2010 season, UConn was the first opponent in the newly

> renovated stadium). Plus, Michigan Stadium has hosted outdoor hockey

> before, Michigan hosted Michigan State there. To have the game at the Yale

> Bowl, instead of either Yankee Stadium, Citi Field, the Meadowlands, or

> even Michie Stadium @ West Point, would be completely moronic. Let's put

> it this way...We'll see a brand new, state-of-the-art 18,000 seat facility

> built in Hartford or its suburbs before the NHL agrees to play the Winter

> Cl*****ic at the Yale Bowl.

Why do you believe that having the game at Yale Bowl would be moronic? Would NBC re**se to show the game? Would TV ratings be lower for a game at Yale, as opposed to Citi Field? Would people not attend?

"Would people not attend?"

I would certainly go, since I live a few minutes away from the Bowl. I think a lot of Ranger fans would come for the game, it's an easy train ride from the city. Boston fans can do the same thing, they come in droves for the Yale - Harvard football games.

I bet they would get 60,000+ for that game...but it would take a lot to make the Bowl ready for a nationally televised game, including temporary lighting and a hockey scoreboard. I don't think it will happen but it would be great if it did.

Tackla wrote :

> New Haven is Whalers country, Rangers and Bruins fans would stay home just

> like they did for the Whale Bowl.

There's no such thing as Whalers country, since the Whalers don't exist. Also, why would Rangers fans show up to the Whale Bowl? Everything was directed at the Whalers fans that want nothing to do with the AHL. They didn't even show up to see their alumni play.

The Winter Cl*****ic? You mean that yearly outdoor game that alternates between the Penguins and the Flyers?

Every year Bettman has to go 'hat in hand' to his Comcast overlords and ask them who they want to feature this time around...Cindy Crosby (the darling of the league), or the company's own house team. The Yale Bowl? Nice thought, but no.......

If we do get a Winter Cl*****ic, even though we'd be stuck with the Rangers as one of the teams, it'd be nice if for once the opponent discussed wasn't Boston. Or Carolina. That way we could at least finally have some team to root for at the Rangers expense.

Hartfordyouremyhome wrote :

> If we do get a Winter Cl*****ic, even though we'd be stuck with the Rangers

> as one of the teams, it'd be nice if for once the opponent discussed wasn't

> Boston. Or Carolina. That way we could at least finally have some team to

> root for at the Rangers expense.

Here's your early leader in the clubhouse for MOST miserable, bitter Whalers fan.