Sign in to follow this  
Monizzle145

Winter Classic at the Yale Bowl?

Recommended Posts

More brilliance from some of the people on this board. So now, because of all the things I stated about the Yale Bowl and the surrounding New Haven area, each of which are 100% true, you're comparing me with Vince? Because I dare to disagree with anything you post, now you're comparing me with Vince? Wonder**l. Vince has his faults, but he also brings a lot of facts to the table. You and others take one sentence from the NHL's COO, and suddenly, it's "the Yale Bowl is getting the Winter Cl*****ic".

 

All I have done from the very beginning of this thread is state the myriad of reasons why there is no chance of the Winter Cl*****ic being in New Haven. Nobody, as in not one single person here, has come up with anything at all to disagree with or dispute these reasons. Instead of throwing a bunch of insults around, maybe you should take some time and try to come up with an argument to SUPPORT having the Yale Bowl host the Winter Cl*****ic. Then maybe we could have an intelligent discussion. Sadly, for some of you, that appears to be way over your heads, including you, CTHabsfan. By the way, even though I am completely impartial towards the Rangers, I'd root for them 1000 times before I rooted for those pompous jerks from Montreal. Any Whalers fan that roots for the Canadiens is just as bad as one that now roots for the Bruins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MarkH2919 wrote :

> So now, because of all the things I stated about the Yale Bowl and the surrounding New Haven

> area, each of which are 100% true, you're comparing me with Vince?

> Vince has his faults, but he also brings a lot of facts

> to the table. You and others take one sentence from the NHL's COO, and

> suddenly, it's "the Yale Bowl is getting the Winter Cl*****ic".

>

> All I have done from the very beginning of this thread is state the myriad

> of reasons why there is no chance of the Winter Cl*****ic being in New Haven.

> Nobody, as in not one single person here, has come up with anything at all

> to disagree with or dispute these reasons. Instead of throwing a bunch of

> insults around, maybe you should take some time and try to come up with an

> argument to SUPPORT having the Yale Bowl host the Winter Cl*****ic. Then

> maybe we could have an intelligent discussion. Sadly, for some of you,

> that appears to be way over your heads, including you, CTHabsfan. By the

> way, even though I am completely impartial towards the Rangers, I'd root

> for them 1000 times before I rooted for those pompous jerks from Montreal.

> Any Whalers fan that roots for the Canadiens is just as bad as one that now

> roots for the Bruins.

 

Mark, sorry that I compared you with Vince. As you said Vince does bring some facts to the table, while you only bring personal opinions. He also has far better reading comprehension skills. Please show me where I, or anyone else, say that Yale Bowl is getting the Winter Cl*****ic. All you will find is that the NHL's COO mentioned that the facility was considered and that we thought it was an interesting possibility, despite the slim odds of it ever happening. By the way, I never claimed to have ever been a Whalers fan (unless they were playing the Bruins or Nordiques), although I would like to see the NHL return to Hartford (another long shot).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the things I have said about the Yale Bowl are "personal opinions"

 

Here is my personal opinion. You're a complete and total jack*****. That's opinion. What I was posting about the Yale Bowl are facts. Learn to read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MarkH2919 wrote :

> So the things I have said about the Yale Bowl are "personal

> opinions"

>

> Here is my personal opinion. You're a complete and total jack*****. That's

> opinion. What I was posting about the Yale Bowl are facts. Learn to read.

 

Mark, I see what the problem is; you are too stupid to recognize the difference between a fact and an opinion. You, or anyone else, has the right to believe that Yale Bowl is an inadequate facility, however, without numbers to support that as a fact, it is only an opinion. You may want to take your own advice and learn how to read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy cow. What a complete moron.

 

If you can prove to me where the Yale Bowl is suitable, from the seating, to the press facilities, to the area around the Bowl, and to the hotels in New Haven that are plenti**l enough to support such an event, then I will gladly admit I am wrong.

 

Come up with something to go against what I am saying. Come up with facts that prove my statements wrong (though I am absolutely sure you can't). Until then, kindly ST**.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MarkH2919 wrote :

> Holy cow. What a complete moron.

>

> If you can prove to me where the Yale Bowl is suitable, from the seating,

> to the press facilities, to the area around the Bowl, and to the hotels in

> New Haven that are plenti**l enough to support such an event, then I will

> gladly admit I am wrong.

>

> Come up with something to go against what I am saying. Come up with facts

> that prove my statements wrong (though I am absolutely sure you can't).

> Until then, kindly ST**.

 

Holy cow. What a complete moron.

 

If you can prove to me where I, or anyone else in this thread, said that Yale Bowl is suitable for hosting the Winter Cl*****ic, I will honor your request. The fact is that no one has made such a statement. Once again, we are just saying that it was interesting that the NHL's chief operating officer said that Yale Bowl was considered and that it would be cool, although highly unlikely, if the game were played at Yale.

 

You, on the other hand, have made definitive statements in regards to the possibility of the game being played at Yale, without any supporting facts. It is ironic that you ask for facts, yet are too stupid and/or lazy to come up with facts of your own. Tell us, Mark, how many hotel rooms are required to host the Winter Cl*****ic? How many hotel rooms are there in the New Haven area? If you can provide facts that support your opinions, you could actually prove your point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hotel rooms are the least of the issues. They get big crowds at the bowl for the bi-annual Yale - Harvard football game with the current number of hotels in the area. The vast majority of people do not stay overnight, they come for the game and then go home. It would be the same for a hockey game between the Rangers and Bruins. The fan bases of those teams live within easy travel distance of New Haven. So if you had 50,000 people at the game, it doesn't mean you would need 50,000 hotel rooms, or even a significant fraction of that. You might need to get MetroNorth and Amtrak to run extra trains for the day, but that can be done, along with shuttle buses between the RR station and the Bowl.

 

Yale Bowl would need lighting, which it has never had. It's located in a residential area, and the residents have long been opposed to lights at the Bowl, because they don't want to deal with the crowds at night. There have been nighttime events at the Bowl, for which temporary lights were brought in. They would also need a hockey-friendly scoreboard, which could also be a temporary addition. The current scoreboard is meant only for football, and could not be used for a hockey game.

 

The remaining deficiencies at Yale Bowl, like the antiquated restrooms and concession stands, would not likely be upgraded for a once-in-a-lifetime event like this. It wouldn't make economic sense to do so. It's almost 100 years old, if you want to play in a new facility, use Citi Field, Yankee Stadium, MetLife Stadium, or Gillette Stadium. But if the NHL wants a big venue between NY and Boston, Yale Bowl would be it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"wouldn't it just be easier to do it at the Rent?"

 

It might be easier, since the lights are already there, but I didn't think the Rent was mentioned in the original article. Yale Bowl is almost twice the size, and New Haven has the rail access that East Hartford lacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, right...you don't need hotel rooms for the teams...or for the NHL execs...or the corporate sponsors...or the national or international media...yeah, that's way down on the list.

 

Hotel rooms are definitely not the "least" of the issues.

 

What's next? The Super Bowl in New Haven? :roll:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are enough hotel rooms in the area for the people you mentioned. After all, how many hotel rooms are there in Foxborough, M*****? Not many, but the Patriots play there regularly, and have for decades. The New Haven area could host a one-day event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet another one that wants to compare apples to oranges. Boston and Providence are a lot closer to Foxboro than NYC is to New Haven. **rther, Like Boston with Fenway Park, NYC has two baseball stadiums that are in the city, and a football stadium that's less than 10 miles over the border in New Jersey. Any of those 3 facilities will be looked at 1000 times before the Yale Bowl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Boston and Providence are a lot closer to Foxboro than NYC is to New Haven. **rther, Like Boston with Fenway Park, NYC has two baseball stadiums that are in the city, and a football stadium that's less than 10 miles over the border in New Jersey. Any of those 3 facilities will be looked at 1000 times before the Yale Bowl."

 

Foxboro is about 25 miles from Boston and Providence. Draw a 25 mile circle around New Haven and you'll find more than enough hotel rooms for players, NHL br*****, etc. I agree that the new stadiums in the New York and Boston areas would be better than Yale Bowl. However if, (and it's a big if), they want a site BETWEEN New York and Boston, Yale Bowl suddenly becomes viable.

 

As far as Fenway Park is concerned, it's even older than the Bowl, much smaller, and other than it's historic value, it's crappy place to watch a game. If they could have hockey there, they could have it at Yale Bowl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't sound like everyone here has ever been to the Yale Bowl. There's no concourse, there's no concession windows, it's mostly wooden bench seating on crumbling concrete, there's maybe three sit-down toilets and three sinks in the whole place (you mostly just piss in a trough), the parking is on gr***** fields accessed by asphalt paths that are not even two cars wide in places. I mean, I love the Yale Bowl for college football games, but seriously....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"As far as Fenway Park is concerned, it's even older than the Bowl, much smaller, and other than it's historic value, it's crappy place to watch a game. If they could have hockey there, they could have it at Yale Bowl."

 

Fenway has modern amenities, much more than the Yale Bowl. They have actual concourses and real toilets. They have a press box that holds hundreds of media. Because of it's city location, there is m***** transit available, making it easier for fans to go to the game. Yale Bowl has none of those things.

 

Again, if the Rangers are going to host the game, then the game will be held either at Yankee Stadium or Citi Field or the Meadowlands. If you really, really want to stretch it, then they can have it at Rutgers. Yale Bowl is way, way, way down on the options list, if it's on the list at all, and quite frankly, it should not be.

 

If they want an event between NYC and Boston, have it at Rentschler Field. At least there are real concourses, real toilets, enough parking, and enough places for people to stay. Oh, and by hotels, I don't mean a Motel 6 or the Red Roof Inn on Route 1. I mean hotels. Like Hyatts, Hiltons, Sheratons and the like. There are not enough in a 25 mile radius of New Haven be able to satisfy all the people that will need rooms. And the Winter Cl*****ic isn't a 1 day event, it's stretches out to a week or two, similar to the Whale Bowl, though on a scale probably 10 times the size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Again, if the Rangers are going to host the game, then the game will be held either at Yankee Stadium or Citi Field or the Meadowlands."

 

I agree with this, although the Meadowlands could be a problem due to conflicts with NFL football. My point about Yale Bowl isn't that it's a better venue than brand new stadiums, or that it should be the site, but that IF the NHL wants a 'neutral site' between Boston and New York, the Bowl COULD be used. It's twice the size of Rentschler Field, which was not mentioned as a possibility.

 

And I know there are events going on for a week, but the only one that would likely draw a huge crowd is the NHL game, a one-day event. If it were held in New Haven, you might also arrange an AHL game between the Whale and Sound Tigers that might get 10,000 or so on a good day. They would also have youth hockey games and high school games, which would be attended by the families of the players involved.

 

If I were betting on it, I'd say that the game will be held at Citi Field or Yankee Stadium. Satisfied?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

p4277, you're not the one I have the issues with on this. Most people would readily admit that the NY venues would be more suitable, all I was saying is that if the NHL wanted something between NY and Boston, I just don't see how the Yale Bowl would be a feasible option, considering it's antiquated facilities, tiny concourses, bad parking, and so on. People were speculating that it was possible because of something the NHL's COO said, but the reality of the situation is, the Bowl is extremely ill-equipped to hold such an event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ninth Special Olympics World Summer Games were held in New Haven, Connecticut, USA on July 1-9 1995. More than 7,000 athletes from 143 countries gathered for competition in 21 sports. The opening and closing ceremonies were held in the Yale Bowl, and various events were held around the New Haven area, including various events held in West Haven, Connecticut. This was the first Special olympics world games that included unified sports. The hurdles and the marathon were included in athletics, squat lift was included in powerlifting, and the 40 km race was included in cycling.

 

There must have been a lot more hotel rooms back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MarkH2919 wrote :

> Or, they could have stayed...you know...at the dorms at Yale?

>

> Brains really aren't your strong suit, are they?

 

Did they, Mark? Is that a verifiable fact, or just a guess? What about the coaches, families, friends, officials, spectators, etc. who were not from the area? Where did they stay?

 

How about coming up with some actual facts, for a change. Prove that there are not enough hotel rooms in the New Haven area for the Winter Cl*****ic to be held at Yale Bowl. I am sure that someone who knows everything, such as yourself, would be more than capable of finding out how many rooms would be required and how many rooms are in the area, and would then be able to provide these figures, along with your sources.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CTHabsfan wrote :

> The Ninth Special Olympics World Summer Games were held in New Haven,

> Connecticut, USA on July 1-9 1995. More than 7,000 athletes from 143

> countries gathered for competition in 21 sports. The opening and closing

> ceremonies were held in the Yale Bowl, and various events were held around

> the New Haven area, including various events held in West Haven,

> Connecticut. This was the first Special olympics world games that included

> unified sports. The hurdles and the marathon were included in athletics,

> squat lift was included in powerlifting, and the 40 km race was included in

> cycling.

>

> There must have been a lot more hotel rooms back then.

 

This is 1995 you're talking about though. Who's to say that some of those hotels are still in business. Plus traffic in New Haven is a nightmare as it is, along with I-95. I'd rather see them play it somewhere in NY/NJ. And maybe even have it between NYR/NJ, since there are so many fans from that area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WhaleCowbell1222 wrote :

> This is 1995 you're talking about though. Who's to say that some of those hotels are

> still in business. Plus traffic in New Haven is a nightmare as it is, along with

> I-95. I'd rather see them play it somewhere in NY/NJ. And maybe even have it between

> NYR/NJ, since there are so many fans from that area.

 

Maybe some of those hotels are no longer in business, however, maybe new hotels have opened. Don't worry, I'm sure that Mark will be able to provide us with detailed information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look moron, if you really believe that I'm wrong, then prove I am wrong. Anybody with a freaking brain in their head, which obviously doesn't include you, should be smart enough to figure out there are several sites that are better for the Rangers to host the Winter Cl*****ic than the Yale Bowl. It's not only the hotel rooms (by the way, if you really want me to guess on the number of hotel rooms it would take to host the Winter Cl*****ic, I'd say somewhere around 1,000, which includes the two teams, families, NBC personnel, Sponsors, NHL personnel, media, etc.) Now, if you want to go and put people in say Hartford...or in Stamford...or at the casinos...then 1000 rooms is no problem. But if you want to keep them fairly close to New Haven...then finding 1000 rooms (and again, I'm talking about hotels, not the Motel 6 or Red Roof Inn on route 1) is going to be rather difficult.

 

The Bowl has little to no modern amenities for fans, for players, for media, for well...anyone. Parking could be a problem, especially if there is some snow on the ground, entirely possible in Connecticut in December and January. It just doesn't make sense that after the NHL having their signature event at historic places like Fenway and Wrigley...to Philly and Pittsburgh and Buffalo to start it all...that Yale Bowl would be seriously considered. That was my point from the start, and it's my point now. And most people with a brain (again, that obviously doesn't include you) seem to be agreeing. Citi Field. Yankee Stadium. Rutgers Stadium. MetLife Stadium (doubt**l because of the Giants and Jets). ALL of these are better options than the Yale Bowl. To say otherwise is absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by Guest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this