Sign in to follow this  
Biggie1083

Islanders moving to Brooklyn.

"Islanders and Barclays Center To Make Major Announcement

October 24th, 2012 10:06 am

10:40AM: Chris Botta and Bob McKenzie both tweet that in 2015 the Islanders will be playing in Brooklyn

10:06AM: The Islanders have announced that at 1PM they will be holding a press conference at the Barclays Center to make a “major announcement.”

People scheduled to appear at the press conference are Charles Wang, Barclays Center owner Bruce Ratner, Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Gary Bettman, Garth Snow, Nets CEO Brett Yormark and Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz."

If they do they are making a terrible mistake. That building is smaller than the XL for Hockey and has sight line problems for hockey.

The building would hold 14,500 for hockey and thats 504 seats smaller than the MTS Center in Winnipeg.

Still think Hartford is too small, well the XL is larger than both of those buildings. Perhaps Howard saw that the down sizing of arenas that were in the market and thought the XL could be molded into this new era of smaller arenas.

Reports are coming out that the Islanders are going to sign a 25 year lease deal to play at the Barclays.

The MTS Centre opened in 2004, and the Barclays opened this year. I doubt the XL Center can be used for the NHL as it is now. The XL Center opened in 1975, and was renovated in 1980. The building is 37 years old and has been updated in 32 years. I think the NHL wants new or update buildings before even thinking about moving into an old building. At least, Baldwin would need someone with a lot of money to invest in him and Hartford, before anyone would even think about moving a team back here.

Biggie1083 wrote:

"Reports are coming out that the Islanders are going to sign a 25 year lease deal to play at the Barclays. The MTS Centre opened in 2004, and the Barclays opened this year. I doubt the XL Center can be used for the NHL as it is now. The XL Center opened in 1975, and was renovated in 1980. The building is 37 years old and has been updated in 32 years. I think the NHL wants new or update buildings before even thinking about moving into an old building. At least, Baldwin would need someone with a lot of money to invest in him and Hartford, before anyone would even think about moving a team back here."

Think of it this way NY hockey fans, at least a team with a winning tradition will finally be calling one of the Five Boroughs home now.

For your convenience Biggie, I've written a a few sentences below that you may copy & paste so that you'll save a lot of time on writing in the **ture. It should cover everything:

"The Rangers are great. MSG is great. AEG is great. No AHL team but a Rangers affiliate will ever succeed in Hartford. The NHL will never return to Hartford. I will always be first to post any news whatsoever that may throw water on any idea that Hartford may better itself. Hartford hockey could not in any way, shape or form exist without the Rangers.

**rthermore, Thomas Hooker only came to Hartford in hopes that the Rangers AHL would at some point install themselves here. Adriean Block landed here only with the hope that he might someday have the honor & privilege of seeing the Rangers affiliate on the ice.

Br***** Bonanza should be replaced by 'Hail to the Rangers.' I think we can all agree that 'The Old State House' should be renamed 'The Old Rangers House,' with statues of Neil Smith, Ken Gernander & Terry Virtue commissioned to be displayed there.

The Rangers are Ranger-tastic. Sliced bread thinks it's the greatest thing since the Rangers."

Still 2015 is a long way away. Will the Islanders move to Brooklyn before the shovels get in the ground in Seattle.

I totally meant that Baldwins plans on the retrofit for XL made alot of sense now. Baldwin saw this as an opportunity now the NHL is suddenly ok with smaller arenas. They might be learning.

Yeah, but if they signed a 25 year lease, they would probably have to pay a huge penalty if they backed out.

I agree, but Hartford would need more than just Baldwin. Baldwin has a lot of great ideas, but needs people who could back him up with money, and political support. as it is right now, I don't see it happening. That might change in the **ture.

Not to be a negative nancy but this exception to the attendance rule does not mean betman will let that fly in Hartford even if we got a new arena. While he bends rules to allow a team to move to BK in a arena that never had hockey in mind that's cause its a new york team staying in new york. He wont give hartford a p***** or oppritunity as long as hes ruling the nhl.

Totally agree Biggie and Moonizzle.

Baldwin needed support from the media, Uconn, the city and the state but that didn't happen because Hartford is happy not being a rising star, they're happy being just a meteor.

Great for the real New Yorkers. They will love ths team and support it. As for the Rangers, well, they'll still have their Who's Who MSG crowd. ****, I'll probably start going to their games! Great restaurants in Brooklyn also. Can't wait.

jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> And you know this how monizzle, because if that's the case why did Winnipeg

> get its team

Since when was winnipeg in the northeast? Betman doesnt want more teams in the northeast he wants to expand to the central and west and south. Winnipeg isn't a city hated by the comissioner and they had a sucess**l AHL attendance and new arena which pleased betman. Stop trolling and face reality lol.

Monizzle145 wrote:

> jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> > And you know this how monizzle, because if that's the case why did Winnipeg

> > get its team

>

> Since when was winnipeg in the northeast? Betman doesnt want more teams in the

> northeast he wants to expand to the central and west and south. Winnipeg isn't a city

> hated by the comissioner and they had a sucess**l AHL attendance and new arena which

> pleased betman. Stop trolling and face reality lol.

Reality is more than half the teams in the NHL cannot turn a profit and some can't even find owners. Reality is the NHL WILL expand to 32 teams. Personally I don't see more than 8 teams (1/4) in Canada under Bettman so who's that leave? Seattle, Qc, KC, Houston. Two teams in Texas is not going to happen, a team in Kansas City is very dicey, same with Las Vegas. So Seattle and Quebec City are the 2, what happens with the franchises in PHX, OH and FLA? One of them if not two will be on the move in the next 5-10 years. If Hartford can find a solution for the XL Center we instantly move ahead of KC, LV and Houston, so yes the **ture is reality bud. The NHL is in a stage of transition, rumblings of 2 expansion teams, Isles to Brooklyn, ATL to WPG, this scenario is not out of the realm of probability. The Whalers brand is a very attractive/iconic brand, regionally and nationally, there's more $ to be made with Hartford in the league than a FL, OH or PHX, period.

Def not a troll unlike yourself but we are talking about bending the rules about capacity.. Still I ask how this wont go for the good chance of getting a team back to Hartford.. Since you bring up another no issue point, where exactly did Bettman day he is anti hartford, and when did he say that he won't allow more teams in the northeast.. I'm pretty sure Hartford would be on the NHL list if the arena deal is done..as far as expanding to the south he already failed there

Where would they play? Markham? No new arena, plans, but nothing official. No matter what you try and say Biggie there's no way a team goes to Qc and than another in TO. Sure they could handle the saturation of the market, but hows that grow the league? What happens with the Sabres? Is MLSE ok with this? IMO to many headaches to have to deal with there. After the Souther expansion I just can't envision GB moving 3 additional teams to Canada. 8 teams for 33 million people is more than accommodating. It'll never happen.

The Senators and Sabres have had their issues drawing fans at one point or another so why would GB worsen the situation for 2 teams and tick off Terry Pagula the NHL's newest billionaire? To many companies, teams, $ involved if it does happen many people will be mad, some people will be happy, wouldn't it just be easier to avoid that? I believe it is, there's still $ to be made elsewhere and least we not forget the US tv contract will always be much, much more financially attractive than the Canadian deal ever will be, less US teams = less $ for the league/teams.

Edited by Guest

jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> Def not a troll unlike yourself but we are talking about bending the rules

> about capacity.. Still I ask how this wont go for the good chance of

> getting a team back to Hartford.. Since you bring up another no issue

> point, where exactly did Bettman day he is anti hartford, and when did he

> say that he won't allow more teams in the northeast.. I'm pretty sure

> Hartford would be on the NHL list if the arena deal is done..as far as

> expanding to the south he already failed there

the idea of bending capacity is directly related to extenuating cir*****stances such as

in winnipeg they got thousands of people to commit to season tickets

in brooklyn you save a new york team from leaving the area and move it to a more historic location

Betman is all about expanding to isolated markets which is why there are teams in florida and why a team is still in phoenix. We could build a new state of the art arena but we wouldn't make the NHL list. Being on that list you need a larger fan support (which we don't have) and in a market that is spaced out from other competing markets. If you lead your department in sales your boss might let you come in a little late and not yell at you. But if your sales figures are below average and your late to work youll most likely be yelled at. Hartford is that guy whos sales numbers are terrible and cant afford to show up late to work.

I don't understand it either, but they have been talking about putting another team in Toronto. I can't remember where, but I think we talked about it in another thread.