Sign in to follow this  

With the potential of a new group running things & a new AHL team, does anyone else feel renewed optimism for the AHL hockey market in Hartford? I don't care which of 27 teams comes in here, it'd be awesome to see games at the HCC again in a great hockey atmosphere.

Does anyone 'in the know' have a guess as to what the chances are of a Bushnell-type group winning the bid & yet still re-signing the Rags?

"Does anyone 'in the know' have a guess as to what the chances are of a Bushnell-type group winning the bid & yet still re-signing the Rags?"

I'm far from "in the know", but I do think the Rangers would consider staying if Bushnell won the bid.

Truth is, from what I heard Sa****ay night...my optimism is tempered quite a bit.

There is a rumor going around...that if Bushnell wins the bid...the Rangers will stay and the team will go back to the WolfPack brand.

Again, it's strictly a rumor (so that means morons like WP98 shouldn't get all excited), but if that rumor is true...that would prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Rangers could care less about Hartford.

Heard that too reasoning behind the rerebrand could be that Rangers want to sever ties to Baldwin completely. They pay him now for the use of Pucky maybe more.

If they have to cut the Whale brand loose I wish they would rethink a rebrand to Pack. Truth is too early to tell who is going to win but not looking like AEG is in front anymore.

MarkH2919 wrote:

"Does anyone 'in the know' have a guess as to what the chances are of a Bushnell-type group winning the bid & yet still re-signing the Rags?"

I'm far from "in the know", but I do think the Rangers would consider staying if Bushnell won the bid. Truth is, from what I heard Sa****ay night...my optimism is tempered quite a bit. There is a rumor going around...that if Bushnell wins the bid...the Rangers will stay and the team will go back to the WolfPack brand.

Again, it's strictly a rumor (so that means morons like WP98 shouldn't get all excited), but if that rumor is true...that would prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Rangers could care less about Hartford."

Just wow. What a huge extension of the middle digit that would be to Hartford hockey fans; maybe Comcast is the better option here.

If the Rags stay, & as the Wolf * Pack, you could count the attendance on one hand.

Again, it's just a rumor. And considering the person that told me this info (Biggie), and considering his recent track record...I told him I'd believe it when I see it.

I told him right out that changing the name back would be nothing sshort of a marketing disaster. Quite honestly, it would shock me, not just because of the marketing aspect, but because I'd like to think the people from Bushnell...all of them Hartford people...would already know what effect that would have on this market.

MarkH2919 wrote:

"Again, it's just a rumor. And considering the person that told me this info (Biggie), and considering his recent track record...I told him I'd believe it when I see it.

I told him right out that changing the name back would be nothing sshort of a marketing disaster. Quite honestly, it would shock me, not just because of the marketing aspect, but because I'd like to think the people from Bushnell...all of them Hartford people...would already know what effect that would have on this market."

Oh, well I guess yeah. Consider the source.

I'd like to agree with you Mark, & in fact I hope you're right. But the track record in Hartford has for so long to be the absolute opposite of what should be done, it's hard to believe it until you see it too.

If you think about it once the the issue of who will run things is decided, what would be the top two dumbest decisions that could be made? (S h o r t of changing the start times of all home games to 7:00a.m. Wednesday mornings)

1. Keeping the Rangers

2. Return to the Wolf * Pack name

I understand, HYMH, believe me. I'm sure I turned ghostly white when Biggie laid this on me...but I'm also sure that my ghostly white went to fire-engine red pretty quick, because I was pissed. Not at him, but at the mere thought of it.

Like you said, that would be the last, final ** to the people that have supported Hartford hockey for close to 40 years. Throw us a 3 year bone, then take it away. Again, I'll believe it when I see it...if that ever happened though, they would have an aw**l lot of explaining to do.

MarkH2919 wrote:

"I understand, HYMH, believe me. I'm sure I turned ghostly white when Biggie laid this on me...but I'm also sure that my ghostly white went to fire-engine red pretty quick, because I was pissed. Not at him, but at the mere thought of it.

Like you said, that would be the last, final ** to the people that have supported Hartford hockey for close to 40 years. Throw us a 3 year bone, then take it away. Again, I'll believe it when I see it...if that ever happened though, they would have an aw**l lot of explaining to do."

I love Hartford; it's my hometown. For years I've supported it, defended it, & I'd love for it to succeed & become prominent once again. If they pull some garbage like this, I'm done rooting or caring at all. Sports-wise, I'll support my other teams who reside in cities who actually care about themselves & the betterment thereof.

If, year after year, those running the show don't care at all about Hartford, why should we? I'll support the restaurants & businesses in my town & in the area.

For all of you who want nothing less than the Whalers in the NHL back, It's time to "Drop the Gloves" AEG, the Bushnell and any other candidates should be fore warned "No Rangers or Wolf Pack" period. This is the people's call not the groups who want the control for monetary reasons. The city of Hartford has had enough crapie sports adventures. How much more do you guys want to swallow?

"This is the people's call not the groups who want the control for monetary reasons."

If it was truly the people's call, the Whalers would have never left to start with.

Well all I can say to you3 computer nuts with no life what so ever, keep up with your "what ifs" "WHAT did you hear?' "I heard" and calling other people names who disagree. You all sound like little *****es;" I head this or I heard that". Get OFF your *****es and do something like re**sing to attend games that spit on Hartford's hockey tradition.

Uh, nobody called anybody names but you, top cat.

You're something else...we're trying to have a reasonable conversation, and 15 posts in, you ruin it with your usual crap.

First cl***** all the way. You and Vince Albair. :roll:

MarkH2919 wrote:

> Uh, nobody called anybody names but you, top cat.

>

> You're something else...we're trying to have a reasonable conversation, and

> 15 posts in, you ruin it with your usual crap.

>

> First cl***** all the way. You and Vince Albair. :roll:

Yeah, man. Where did that come from?

Well keeping in line with the title of this thread the new optimism is split.

Ranger fans think possibly there is a Ranger extension soon to be announced

Whaler fans think there might be a new affiliate coming

Still feel we don't know for sure but what we do know and "hear", has been very accurate thus far.

Except Burke is God

MarkH "a 3 year bone and then take it away"

Yes you got a 3 year bone and didn't do anything with it. A generous 2000 @ the game last night. The Whale brand does not appear better then the WolfPack at all. An average of 3605 for the 1st 10 home games. Oh I forgot to mention last night was our 1st weeknight game.... This is all with a great promotion on Friday nights.

The longer this goes on the harder it will be to top the WolfPack's avg of 4,100.

If an average of 4,100 was bad enough to rebrand the team then if it happens again, then you minds as well go back to what they had because the brand doesn't matter.. Why don't you ask some players if they prefer to get an entire new uniform and equipment or just change their jersey, when they are called up. I am sure that would be a factor if the Rangers choose to go back to the old colors.

Good. I'm in the mood to make someone look stupid. Of course considering my opposition, this shouldn't be difficult.

"A generous 2000 @ the game last night. The Whale brand does not appear better then the WolfPack at all."

Agreed about last night's attendance. Of course, Sa****ay night's attendance looked like close to 5,000 and it was announced at 3,459. Do you want to explain that one? Oh, and let's compare brands, shall we?

77 games under the Whale brand = 399,504 fans or 5,188/game

last 77 games under the WolfPack brand = 320,778 fans, or 4,165/game

So the Whale brand is still 1,000/game ahead of the WolfPack brand.

It wasn't just one year at 4100 that forced the rebrand, it was 9 years of declining attendance, to the point where the season ticket base was down to under 500, and the marketing and promotions had gone down the toilet. And please, stop raving about the beer and hot dog promotion. The one night where they had to make it work it bombed so bad they had to give free hot dogs out at the next Friday night home game.

Again, going back to the WolfPack brand would be a marketing disaster. You'd lose the Whalers fans, who STILL make up the majority of the fanbase in this city for good. You think attendance is bad now? Go back to the WolfPack name...the attendance would be last in the league.

What you're overlooking Burke is that once W S & E was canned, & fans saw the Rags going back to their same garbage, there was no point in going anymore. If they stay &/or go back to the Wolf * Pack brand, you'd likely see more than one crowd with attendance under a thousand.

Did you see that panoramic pic someone posted on Hartford Hockey Chat? It looks great, but what you can't not notice is that there's no one there. That's what it would look like going forward.

MarkH2919 wrote:

"That was taken 45 minutes before the game started though...to be totally fair."

Ok, that's fair enough Mark. I didn't know that. However, I do believe that's not far off from how the crowds will look if the Rags stay, & re-rebrand.

If we had a couple more Wednesday's this season we would be last in the league under the Whale brand. ****o, we are less then 400 fans away from last. This includes buildings that don't have an option of having 7,000 at opening night because they don't have that many seats.

The majority of people that call themselves "Whaler fans" want this team gone. So sorry the "Whaler Fans" do not make up most of the fan base, not even now. Some people would come back for the WolfPack brand to counter Whaler fans lost. Don't get me wrong, I am not confident about the #'s that would come back 3 years later. But I am also not confident about how many would leave if they truly do love the team and have supported it for 3 years.

As far as Sa****ay, I can't debate against you because I never looked at the numbers on my phone that night to compare, because I was with guests. But if true.......they borrowed some numbers from Sa****ay to use them on Wednesday? LOL I don't know.

Yes I know the WolfPack attendance decreased for 9 years and you know the Whale attendance has decreased for 3. But the fairness comparison we have ever had is AEG marketing the WolfPack in 09/10 to AEG marketing the Whale in 12/13. The 2 minor differences I can think of is the WolfPack never had $1 dog $2 beer together never mind on a Friday. So no matter how bad they messed it up it don't matter. The Pack also had 40 home dates to sell not 38. So that eliminates 2 Wednesday nights with an attendance of about 2,000. I am sure you can come up with a couple the other way, because that's the way you are. But we will see at the end of this season AEG marketing the Pack for a year vs. AEG marketing the Whale for a year. And we will see the numbers.