Sign in to follow this  
whalerscomehome

Connecticut Coyotes?

I've said this for years; it'd be great to turn the Rent into a multi-venue complex like in Philadelphia, where the Eagles, Flyers, 76ers, & Phillies all play in the same parking lot.

Here, it'd be NHL hockey & NCAA football/basketball. Then, around the area restaurants & retail will follow. The Convention & Science centers as well as the new Front Street would all benefit. It'd be a huge, positive step forward.

There's a company that's been trying to do it for years, but East Hartford and the state keep shutting them down. They want to put an "Evergreen Walk" there, restaurants, and garages. They even talked about putting a small arena there. No one will let them, especially the people of East Hartford. They complain about the football games and concerts that are held at the Rent. They even complained during the two weeks of the Whale Bowl. Some are trying but most are NIMBY's, Not In My BackYard.

Why is the press SO focused on the AHL and the **ture there? Does anyone really believe we won't have an AHL team? The rangers and any NHL team would love to have a team play in a large NHL size building like we have in Hartford.

I think we (the state) need to focus on the NHL and opportunity we may have with the Coyotes. These opportunities don't come around that often.

whalerscomehome wrote:

> Connecticut Whale attendance in Hartford last night....13,200.

> Phoenix Coyotes attendance in Phoenix last night.....12,100.

>

> Bring the Coyotes to Hartford!!!

right on!!!

Team either plays at revamped xl per baldwin's plans or in a new building at The Rent and at xl until the new building is finished. Xl currently seats 15,600 for hockey which is fine until the building is built.

We not only need a new arena but a comittment from hartford fans to support the team for better or for worse. Look those fans at the whale bowl that i froze to death along side showed great loyalty to the whale. But at the same time its going to take a little more of hartford to really support a team. The attendance staurday was great but what happens next will be greater. Will it be another 2K night tuesday? Will **ture sa****ay games have big numbers? Will people stop watching that over rated college baksetball tournament and support the whale in march or april?

Im 22 and i have a concern for my fellow 20 somethings that will most likely be a target audience if the nhl came back in the **ture. And i don't see that commitment from us that you saw from families in the 90's. Again this could change but it needs to change.

Monizzle in one post you are saying that Hartford can support a team and than you don't know if they could in another post. You just don't know what happens until it does. But for the record NHL attendance was not a problem on Hartford and not even that the team wasn't making money, in the 80's they were a top profit maker for lots of people even the league.. Get over the whole attendance ahl vs NHL, you can't compare..

jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> Monizzle in one post you are saying that Hartford can support a team and

> than you don't know if they could in another post. You just don't know what

> happens until it does. But for the record NHL attendance was not a problem

> on Hartford and not even that the team wasn't making money, in the 80's

> they were a top profit maker for lots of people even the league.. Get over

> the whole attendance ahl vs NHL, you can't compare..

But you also can't compare 80 attendance and fanbase to the 2013 attendance and fanbase. look im split and many times contradict myself because i want to be hope**ll yet be realistic. People who supported the whalers in the 80's and early 90's are 20 years older than they were back then.Avg nhl tickets have risen sharply and people work more hours are more busy. likewise the demographics and fanbase in this area have changed in 20 years. So yes you can't compare ahl to nhl but you also cany compare 80's and 90's crowds to 2013.

And hands down if we want a team here and if we got a team here it would be key that newer generations of hockey fans support a hartford team. Cause the longer we keep waiting for a team the older the original whalers fanbase gets making it important that the current generation (who has grown up fans of other teams) keeps trying to make change to get a team here. Cause twentysomethings and even people in their 30's have been very bandwagonish with Uconn basketall and footall while not hockey its a reflection of our sports community here.

There' money in Hartford. There are teams located everywhere in places that don't have anywhere near the median income the nearby Hartford suburbs have. Avon, Glastonbury, etc.

An NHL team, especially if it's any good at all whatsoever this time around, would be supported.

You should know that the Whalers got fairly decent support, but got it even though they were average to aw**l for most of their existence. They also drafted worse than an inebriated tag team combo of Matt Millen & Mike Milbury, while making a continual string of the some of the worst trades you could ever imagine.

Monizzle145 wrote:

> jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> > Monizzle in one post you are saying that Hartford can support a team and

> > than you don't know if they could in another post. You just don't know what

> > happens until it does. But for the record NHL attendance was not a problem

> > on Hartford and not even that the team wasn't making money, in the 80's

> > they were a top profit maker for lots of people even the league.. Get over

> > the whole attendance ahl vs NHL, you can't compare..

>

> But you also can't compare 80 attendance and fanbase to the 2013 attendance and

> fanbase. look im split and many times contradict myself because i want to be hope**ll

> yet be realistic. People who supported the whalers in the 80's and early 90's are 20

> years older than they were back then.Avg nhl tickets have risen sharply and people

> work more hours are more busy. likewise the demographics and fanbase in this area

> have changed in 20 years. So yes you can't compare ahl to nhl but you also cany

> compare 80's and 90's crowds to 2013.

You also have to take into account there's almost 300k more residents in the state vs. when the team left in 97' and pro sports since than has seen a dramatic increase in popularity and attendance. That wouldn't not apply to Hartford just because people don't think Hartford can support a team, every team has seen a boost from 97-present and Hartford would be no different.

Hartfordyouremyhome wrote:

> There' money in Hartford. There are teams located everywhere in places that

> don't have anywhere near the median income the nearby Hartford suburbs

> have. Avon, Glastonbury, etc.

>

> An NHL team, especially if it's any good at all whatsoever this time

> around, would be supported.

>

> You should know that the Whalers got fairly decent support, but got it even

> though they were average to aw**l for most of their existence. They also

> drafted worse than an inebriated tag team combo of Matt Millen & Mike

> Milbury, while making a continual string of the some of the worst trades

> you could ever imagine.

to me its not about money its about caring. People in low income areas of the south spend life savings on football games some that are home games against a division 1-a team they are going to blow out anyways. Its about caring enough to show up. While college football and basketball are different sports people aren't consistently supporting teams for those sports on high levels. Yes an nhl team here would be supported but my issue is the volume of support again citing people in their 20's and 30's who might not care as much as hartford hockey than people in their 20's and 30's back when the whalers were in town.

And like many things in this state people care either for the first 15 minutes or only on conditions that the team is really really good. That is just a concern i have. And its a concern you can't deny if you look around at the current 20 and 30 somethings in this state and how they support things.

There is definitely something to his point. While I am certain the NHL could make it in Hartford with a competitive team, he is right that loyalty isn't as greatly valued a trait here in central CT as it is in most other sports markets.

All good points but one more thing to take into consideration is the number 0.560. This is the league-wide average winning % since the end of the 04-05 lockout. The extra OT loss pt has helped create more parity and has helped raise the amount of average pts a team earns in a season. The Whalers had 3 winning seasons out of 18. If you look at the standings from last year only 6/30 teams finished under .500 and out of those 6 only 2 were 4 or more games below (Columbus & Edmonton and **** EDM has a very exciting team even last season). In today's NHL it would be impossible to have the same 18 year stretch the Whalers did in their existence and the team would almost *****uredly be an above .500 team just by the numbers.

Edited by Guest

Look at it this way monizzle, we had the whalers to love and root for and they were our team, please do not insert ahl here 2 different things entirely,I'm 37 and lots of people on this board are similar in age..what happened before the whalers got to Hartford, who did those people root for, whomever they did and not saying all of them, became whalers fans, why, because they were Hartfords team, Connecticut's team, our team..just a number but, if you have 5000 20 something year olds in Hartford and 1500 of them become whalers fans isn't that a good number..

You'd be lucky if 150 of them actually cared. You won't believe me, but a lot of the 20-30 somethings don't care about the Whalers. They are Rangers, Bruins, Devils, Islanders, and Sabres fans. Some either don't remember the Whalers, never cared about the Whalers, or are still hurt by the Whalers leaving. I'm one of the "never cared about the Whalers", and a lot of people around me are Bruins fans. The people I sit with at games, for the most part, don't remember the Whalers, and want nothing to do with the them. They're are in the 20's and 30's, and some of them are Rangers, Bruins, Penguins, and Flyers fans, and will never be Whalers fans. There are kids in their teen and 20's they love this team, and want nothing to do with the Whalers that hate the Whalers because of the way they have been treated by their fans. My sister and her friend are some that don't care. Deny it all you want, but that's how it is now. Just look at the Whalers and Whale page on Facebook, and you will see the division amongst the fans, and how fractured it has become.

Biggie1083 wrote:

> Just look at the Whalers

> and Whale page on Facebook, and you will see the division amongst the fans,

> and how fractured it has become.

Aka trolls such as you, Derek Mcdonald, Peter Genga, Frankie, Melonie Rogers and the other Wolf Pack/Rangers fans who voice their opinions on WHALERS pages. That's not "division amongst fans" that's trolling. HYMH described it best. Biggie is just another troll trying to con**se people with volume rather than substance (maybe that's why he is still on this board??). I'm 21 Biggie and it's the exact opposite in my group of friends. Obviously they follow other teams (as if there's another alternative if your team is gone and you enjoy watching hockey) but all of them would abandon their teams for the Whalers. You can say whatever you want, but it's just not true. You're collecting your "data" from looking at 10 people wearing different team jerseys you happen to see at Whale games.

So Biggie do everyone here a big ole' favor and go ahead and "unlike" Hartford Whaler Nation and the countless other Whalers fb pages you stalk and while you're at it also leave this board. You're the exact type of person that makes this state a *****hole. Move to NY.

Just look at HWN, Biggie waits until everyone is done commenting on post so he can chime in with his Hartford ****s, Whalers have no chance, you know the usual Biggie routine.

my daughter is three years old, every time i put a hockey game on the tv she gets excited and says " daddy look its a hockey game, is it the whalers" i always tell her not today but some day soon. no matter what game i watch she has no idea who the teams are but she knows who the hartford whalers are. i don't get out as much any more but when i do i almost always run into some one wearing something hartford whalers, and all ages too not just people my age and older but alot of kids too. there is a pretty big fan base now for a team that hasn't existed in over fifteen years, and for some of these kids a team that they have never known. just imagine what it will be like when they return. for those that don't like the whalers, old rivalries will be renewed,,,bring them home already...LETS GO WHALERS!!!