Sign in to follow this  
whalerscomehome

Connecticut Coyotes?

Sounds like your around my age in your memories of downtown and those good old NHL days. I can relate. Just to state my past and hockey AGAIN: I had **ll boat TKX every year going back to when the Whalers played in the old barn in West Springfield, One of the charter 7 members who started the Booster Club, Organized a bus trip using 5 peter pan buses going to Quebec Starting the booster club MVP with Tommy Hawkeye Webster was the 1st winner, Organizing pizza parties and beer with 3 TVs in Pippes Restaurant in the Southend. Missed only 2 games in the who history Whaler Hockey including their stay in Springfield after the roof collapse. I made my bones punk. What the f*** did you and your little board buddies do???? Grow up there is no tooth fairy. Work for change and an AHL success**l franchise.

After all that what makes you a better fan then all whaler fans including the ones on this board.. Your dating Hartford is dead we're saying its not.. So all those years your a fan and now you decide that Hartford is dead and we should move on, what kind of man does that make you.. We here will fight until the end to bring them back.. As for my life there is no need for you to know who I am or what I do, we may be the same age but you don't act it..

Biggie1083 wrote:

> You're right, it did work back in the 70's. I just don't see it happening

> again. I don't see that many people switching to the Whalers. People are

> more invested with the team now, than they were back then. If you didn't go

> to a game back then, you only had four ways to knows what happened, you

> watched on tv, you asked someone who was there, you listened to the radio,

> or you read the paper. Now, I can get text updates from the games on my

> phone. Honestly, I just don't know how many of these people would become

> Whalers fans just because they were here. It could happen, but it's just my

> personal opinion that I don't think it will happen.

I really can't stop reading this because it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever..especially the part that says they see more invested in this team.. What a real joke biggie..this is why I say your in it for yourself and not re better of Hartford..

TheWhaleGuy123 wrote:

> Biggie PLEASE stop with your crap about how Pack fans have been

> "treated" by Whalers fans LOL. It's bull*****, you know that and I

> know that. It's 100 percent the opposite.

I didn't say anything about that in this topic I even went back through to check. Aslo, if you don't believe me when 40 year old guys swore and threw s#it at a bunch of teenagers, you can kiss my a$$. I also said that I knew about it going the other way, and I think who ever did stuff like that is a piece of s#it.

jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> How do you feel about another team in Toronto biggie.. Think care**lly and

> don't contradict yourself again.

I don't f-ing care.

top cat wrote:

> Jersey you're right up front with his head in the sand. Seattle, Quebec

> City, Toronto are way ahead of hartford on the list. What seems to make the

> most sense is a clean sweep of the situation. First accept the reality of

> Hartford Ct. starting with it's culture demographics and geo. location.

> The AHL is a good fit, not for me, but for the over all situation

> mentioned. Start over with affiliation, team name, team colors,theme song

> etc. Then lower the ticket prices so families with kids can afford it. As

> for me, no I can never be an AHL fanatical fan. To each his own right? I

> would go to some games if the Ranger tag was gone. So why do I not belong

> on this board? NO I'm not inclined to believe in things that have little to

> no chance in the reality surrounding it. That might be something you might

> consider. So what's the problem?????

Yes Toronto and Quebec are ahead, but who here on this board really believes Gary Bettman will place more than 8 teams in Canada especially after he brings back the Nordiques?? I for one don't. Markham and Hamilton have worse geographical issues than Hartford (albeit Canadian markets) and any effort to place teams there would be heavily contested by MLSE and the Sabres. So who's that leave *****uming the Coyotes head to Quebec?

Seattle - Yes, but they'll still be 2nd fiddle in their own arena and 5th in the marketplace

Portland - Only if Paul Allen wants the NHL

Houston - Risky and only if Les ALexander wants the NHL

Milwaukee - Maybe if the Bucks leave, but the arena needs improvements/new arena.

Hartford

Saw this on another board:

"I think the arena is the biggest barrier here. Build a brand spanking new arena to share with Huskies basketball (much like RBC, ironically). Suddenly, I think you're talking about a top (if not the top) U.S. market to host an NHL team. *****uming that a new team would be building upon the Hartford Whalers identity that clearly still holds a lot of equity.

Are there any former Hartford Whalers fans out there that started following the Bruins or Rangers and would have zero interest in the rebirth of this franchise? Just based on the number of "Bring back the Whale" threads that seem to constantly pop up on this board, there seems to be an honest clamoring to reclaim a team. I don't get the sense that there are scores of Seattle and Houston NHL fans banging down the door for a team. If anything, more Canucks fans excited for a close roadtrip.

I wouldn't take 90s attendance figures as a damnation for the return of this team. The numbers really weren't too bad. The Minnesota North Stars had some brutal years for attendance in the late 80s and early 90s. Much worse than any of the number cited above. This was followed by a couple of lackluster seasons in the IHL.

The demographics of Wild and North Star fans are very different. There was great growth in women's hockey during the NHL's absence. I would *****ume that New England has seen a lot of this same growth since the Whalers left. This is only going to help build upon the fanbase that was there.

Continued...

Also, we talk about the challenges that NY and Boston present, but what about the benefits? You're going to have a lot of home games against the Rangers, Bruins, Habs, and other teams in the NE.

So if you build a new arena and give an owner a sweetheart deal to play here as the only professional tenant and the only pro team in Connecticut, Hartford is going to look very attractive (albeit after 1-2 locations in Canada):

Seattle- second fiddle to the NBA group

Portland & Houston- blocked by NBA owners who currently aren't interested in an NHL team

Kansas City- put Sprint Center in Hartford and I would take my chances with the New England hockey culture

Milwaukee- would be an attractive option with a new arena and w/o the Bucks"

Whaleofatime wrote:

"Also, we talk about the challenges that NY and Boston present, but what about the benefits? You're going to have a lot of home games against the Rangers, Bruins, Habs, and other teams in the NE."

There are several benefits to our geography: Bigger rivalries, (Especially with a much better team this time. Some of the NHL's best coaches/GM's are former mid-1980's Whalers', & some would surely love to come back here) very inexpensive travel, & many guaranteed (or close to it) sell-outs, to name a few.

A new NHL franchise in Hartford would likely be adopted by many hockey fans all over North America as their second team for which to root.

Whether the NHL stays on NBC Sports or moves back to ESPN, both studios are here in Connecticut.

Regular positive, national media coverage of Hartford. When games are broadcast here, like in other cities, they'll focus on Hartford landmarks which will bring them free publicity.

We've already discussed what it'd mean for businesses, restaurants & commerce. So many other benefits, too.

Re: Connecticut Coyotes?

Postby Biggie1083 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:43 pm

You'd be lucky if 150 of them actually cared. You won't believe me, but a lot of the 20-30 somethings don't care about the Whalers. They are Rangers, Bruins, Devils, Islanders, and Sabres fans. Some either don't remember the Whalers, never cared about the Whalers, or are still hurt by the Whalers leaving. I'm one of the "never cared about the Whalers", and a lot of people around me are Bruins fans. The people I sit with at games, for the most part, don't remember the Whalers, and want nothing to do with the them. They're are in the 20's and 30's, and some of them are Rangers, Bruins, Penguins, and Flyers fans, and will never be Whalers fans. There are kids in their teen and 20's they love this team, and want nothing to do with the Whalers that hate the Whalers because of the way they have been treated by their fans. My sister and her friend are some that don't care. Deny it all you want, but that's how it is now. Just look at the Whalers and Whale page on Facebook, and you will see the division amongst the fans, and how fractured it has become.

Guess reading isn't your strong suit Biggie if you "went back and checked" because you supposedly didn't say anything about this on this topic. Sorry bro, just tired of you claiming that crap when it's the selfish Pack fans who don't give 2 *****s about the city who are the main problem. Thus I wouldn't go off on my high-horse about how we treat you guys were I you.

Whaleguy and some others have mentioned the fact that we older NHL whaler fans are of another era ( we're old and dying off). Thy're absolutely correct. So how does the Greater Hartford folks who like, love, understand what a great spectator hockey is agree on what should the final results be. Personally I don't have a dog in this fight. I only would like no Ranger, Bruin, or Hurricane affiliations. Then I would be happy to go to some games. I only have great interest in my native city as a whole. Good Luck Hartford, in spite your empty suit politicians. By the way where the **** is Mark?

WHEW, I wondered if maybe something real bad happened. I missed his criticisms. When his bud, jersey and I spared I wondered why he didn't weigh in.

Hey guess what...before the New England Whalers moved here, people didn't care about the Whalers...they didn't exist to this market. And the hockey fans that were around were Bruins fans , Rangers, Flyers, Or name-your-own NHL team fans . It didn't freaking matter. What mattered is that we had a governor, business leaders and sports owners with a vision - to better the quality of life in this podunk state. Among the reasons for building the HCC was to make available to the people of CT a new arena , for concerts, shows and to lure the WHA. One could argue with the Whalers legacy there is even more embers now than back then to catch fire. When you're young with no family/kids and money to burn in the winter there is nothing better than going to a live NHL game; it doesn't matter who you follow or if you consider yourself a die-hard hockey fan. It could work here easily if all the ingredients are in place. Are they? Well that's the rub now isn't it....

Nicely written ned. Food for thought. What the **** is the RENT have to do with a new arena for hockey? How does that support Hartford restaurants and clubs? Is everybody F***** nuts? Make up your minds. Are you UCONN fans or pro hockey people? Put the new building in downtown HFD. F*** the RENT and UCONN and that sorry town East Hartford home of Empty suit John Larson.

Whaleofatime wrote:

> Saw this on another board:

> The demographics of Wild and North Star fans are very different. There was

> great growth in women's hockey during the NHL's absence. I would *****ume

> that New England has seen a lot of this same growth since the Whalers left.

> This is only going to help build upon the fanbase that was there.

When it comes to womens hockey and youth hockey it grew in the 90's and probally peaked around 2001 since about 2004-05 i have seen sharp declines in the youth hockey programs both me and my brother played in. Hockey giants like enfield are a s**** of what they once were and the 2 high schools that had 2 stacked teams have now been forced to combine due to low numbers. Also rockville bolton coventry and a few other towns have had to form co-ops in the hartford area. the polar bears and clippers too peaked around the 2000's but it seems less girls are playing since then.

This is part of the reason I hold the stance I do about the younger age range that is getting older. Less and less players are playing and i see less and less people who truly care about hockey under the age of 30. Again this can be changed but things need to happen people need to bring friends to hockey games and get them hooked too. This is something I do from my current girlfriend who is more into hockey now and friend from my 4 years of college i have bought to the whale bowl and ahl games.