Sign in to follow this  
whalerscomehome

Connecticut Coyotes?

Recommended Posts

Monizzle145 wrote:

 

> When it comes to womens hockey and youth hockey it grew in the 90's and probally

> peaked around 2001 since about 2004-05 i have seen sharp declines in the youth hockey

> programs both me and my brother played in.

 

 

Monizzle, you have touched upon many interesting points about the decline of youth hockey in the area, the consolidation of high school hockey teams, and how you stated that it peaked in 2001, which of course was just months after Hartford was put on the hockey map when the Calder Cup (Connecticut's first professional sports championship) came to town. I also noticed how you stated there have been sharp declines recently, it seems that high school hockey is a microcosm of professional hockey in Connecticut, as the Wolf Pack were taken out of the market and the fanbase became fractured, it carried over into the local youth hockey programs and now they are nosediving because of it. 2001 was definitely a different time in Hartford county, a better time, the championship was brand new in the city and I can definitely see why it was a peak for hockey, as you mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The arena should go in east hartford because that is where there is space and the opportunity for development.....at the Rent. There is no good spot in downtown hartford. East hartford at the rent is about 3 miles from downtown...which is pretty close. We have stop thinking that east hartford is the other end of the earth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

whalerscomehome wrote:

> The arena should go in east hartford because that is where there is space

> and the opportunity for development.....at the Rent. There is no good spot

> in downtown hartford. East hartford at the rent is about 3 miles from

> downtown...which is pretty close. We have stop thinking that east hartford

> is the other end of the earth.

 

They could put it in the middle of the God damn park for all I care as long as it's built.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it possible to build an arena inside the Convention Center (as crazy as that sounds)? It surely has to have a larger footprint than the XL Center and IMO it's a perfect site for an arena.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOAT....**nny, I thought of that before as well.

 

Nationwide arena in Columbus is 685,000 sq ft.

Td garden in Boston is 755,000 sq ft.

Bridgestone arena in Nashville is 750,000 sq ft.

PNC Arena in Raleigh is 700,000 sq ft.

 

Connecticut convention center is listed as 540,000 sq ft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Current building with capacity of 15,635. For 100 mill., per the Baldwin and UConn analysis, the building could be improved with additional luxury boxes and premium seating, Hartford's xl center could be a permanent home if renovated or temporary until a new building is built, for the Phoenix Coyotes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we can put the team in New Britain next to where the Rock Cats play. Then we can take advantage of that awesome Malloy $567 million CTfastrak busway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> Both of you can make a whole brain, well maybe

 

lol please tell me how anything i said about the youth hockey numbers and female hockey numbers going down is a lie. do you have kids in youth hockey do you hang around kids in their 20's or younger?

 

"monizzle your in your 20's and played youth hockey but everything you say about kids your age is inaccurate"

 

maybe you don'y have whole brain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone who doesn't understand the concept of the busway should check out the T in Boston, then they'll understand what it does. :)

 

That said, it will be a huge waste here. If you can't get people to drive 10 minutes from their house, they sure as **** aint taking a bus lol.

 

WHA: That video is awesome...."I mean...what right is right....BAM!..." Joe Pesci

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Weren't we at one point proposing a 40,000 seat ballpark in Manchester/South Windsor for the Montreal Expos?"

 

Please tell me the above is sarcasm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monizzle145 wrote:

> jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> > Both of you can make a whole brain, well maybe

>

> lol please tell me how anything i said about the youth hockey numbers and female

> hockey numbers going down is a lie. do you have kids in youth hockey do you hang

> around kids in their 20's or younger?

>

> "monizzle your in your 20's and played youth hockey but everything you say

> about kids your age is inaccurate"

>

> maybe you don'y have whole brain

 

No stupid the fact that tpu have to have everyone playing youth hockey to have a success**l market is redicoulous..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> Monizzle145 wrote:

> > jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> > > Both of you can make a whole brain, well maybe

> >

> > lol please tell me how anything i said about the youth hockey numbers and female

> > hockey numbers going down is a lie. do you have kids in youth hockey do you hang

> > around kids in their 20's or younger?

> >

> > "monizzle your in your 20's and played youth hockey but everything you say

>

> > about kids your age is inaccurate"

> >

> > maybe you don'y have whole brain

>

> No stupid the fact that tpu have to have everyone playing youth hockey to have a

> success**l market is redicoulous..

 

When did i ever say it was the end all be all? Its just a part of the bigger pie. You must have been blind the last few comments when i said that non playing hockey fans having interest is also a key factor (hence why i talked about bringing my friends to games who don't play) and how the population of non playing hockey fans in my generation has seemed to drop. Again Im all for improvements to this problem i see but by no means am i saying if you don't play hockey you cant be a fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> I think you should read what you say because in one breath you say hartford

> can't support a team and then there aren't enough youngerpeople playing

> hockey.. Hartford was a great hockey market and still is

 

That is a fact we can't support a team because we don't have a new arena which is step 1. Likewise again im pointing out that part of that is less people are playing youth hockey. In addition to that less sports fans in my age range care about hockey as opposed to people in your 30's like you. How can you speak about the overall market but you don't hang out and interact with 20 somethings who watch hockey like I do? All you looking at is people from your age range and older which is the problem with your statements.

 

And at the end of the day i am trying to be a solution to the problem of people in my age range not liking hockey by taking friends to games and when i was in college last year taking 20 to 30 kids to whale games through residence programs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monizzle you can say the same for every sport. I'm pretty positive youth jockey has nothing to do with being able to support a team.. It dosnt matter if you 10,20,30,40,50,60 if you love hockey and can afford to go you will... And yes we know that we need an arena wowwww nothing new.. Hartfrod already had a team and supported it, just like the generation before us and our generation and the one after us, they will be supported if they come back..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> Monizzle you can say the same for every sport. I'm pretty positive youth

> jockey has nothing to do with being able to support a team.. It dosnt

> matter if you 10,20,30,40,50,60 if you love hockey and can afford to go you

> will... And yes we know that we need an arena wowwww nothing new.. Hartfrod

> already had a team and supported it, just like the generation before us and

> our generation and the one after us, they will be supported if they come

> back..

 

but the issue with trying to get an NHL team or the consistency of attendance if a team comes is going to rely on people now in their 20's who again i observe as less interested in hockey as the generation that rallied to support the WHA and NHL whalers. You can't just say the next generation will support hockey like the last when your not around 20 years olds like i am that is all i am saying. You are repeating the same thing over and over without insight like I do.

 

As far as youth hockey (not jockey) it does play a key part in the amount of hockey fans you do have for a market. The more kids playing hockey the more families get into the sport. Again its not the end all be all but its a key factor. Im pretty sure ignoring the importance of youth hockey and how it affects a hockey market is a pretty dumb stance and viewpoint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monizzle145 wrote:

> jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> > Monizzle you can say the same for every sport. I'm pretty positive youth

> > jockey has nothing to do with being able to support a team.. It dosnt

> > matter if you 10,20,30,40,50,60 if you love hockey and can afford to go you

> > will... And yes we know that we need an arena wowwww nothing new.. Hartfrod

> > already had a team and supported it, just like the generation before us and

> > our generation and the one after us, they will be supported if they come

> > back..

>

> but the issue with trying to get an NHL team or the consistency of attendance if a

> team comes is going to rely on people now in their 20's who again i observe as less

> interested in hockey as the generation that rallied to support the WHA and NHL

> whalers.

 

They're less interested because they haven't grown up with the NHL in their backyard like the generation before them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monizzle...let's put this together, shall we?

 

Bad economy = less money to spend on activities = fewer kids playing hockey.

 

There were 3 games...2 AHL and one college hockey game in Connecticut on Sa****ay night. The three games, in Hartford, New Haven and Bridgeport, drew a combined announced total of 21,371 people.

 

I am sick and tired of hearing that there aren't enough hockey fans here. 13,239 (announced) in Hartford. 3500 at Yale, and 4632 (announced) in BPort. That's good. That's really good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this