Sign in to follow this  
MarkH2919

Hartford Business Journal article...

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130222/NEWS01/302219960

One enormously important statement from that article...

"Russo said they are still in active negotiations with Madison Square Garden to keep the Connecticut Whale in Hartford, but if a deal falls through, he is confident they will be able to land another minor league team."

So am I Frank...so am I.....

We need an Italian from the Southend of Hartford to fix this mess and he's going to do just that. It's going to be the Whale... Rangers take it or leave it. Russo wants 7,000 avg he knows it's not going to happen with the WP case closed. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

4WHA-Back-in-NHL wrote:

> We need an Italian from the Southend of Hartford to fix this mess and he's

> going to do just that.

He is gonna make Msg an offer they can't re**se.

WhalerChad wrote:

> 4WHA-Back-in-NHL wrote:

> > We need an Italian from the Southend of Hartford to fix this mess and he's

> > going to do just that.

> He is gonna make Msg an offer they can't re**se.

Probably, something more like this.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

"We think that Comcast gives us the opportunity to rebrand the experience in downtown Hartford," Russo said.

Look he said "Rebrand". Lol

And the only way to boost attendance, Cashman says, is to offer an attractive product on the event floor and make sure people know about.

Is Wolf Pack an "attractive product"?

Whalevolution wrote:

"We think that Comcast gives us the opportunity to rebrand the experience in downtown Hartford," Russo said.

Look he said "Rebrand". Lol"

Ah, but re-branding the hockey "experience" doesn't necessarily mean re-branding the team.

Even if GS doesn't can the Parasites, it's hard to imagine their higher ups want to be managing a facility where the primary tenant is wearing the colors of their very disliked rival.

Even if $ is the main concern, as you said Evo, they're sure not going to make more of it with the 'Hartford Rangers,' haha.

MarkH2919 wrote:

"If Global didn't care about the brand, this deal would have been done by now."

It'd seem almost impossible for them not to care, as a Parasites brand would affect the financial bottom line in a less-than-upward way.

I realize that, HYMH. I'm just saying the brand has to be the hold up, and Global, God bless them, are sticking to their guns wonder**lly. They do have a little leverage after all, because they know they can bring the Phantoms in here for a year, then have the Baldwins or someone else bring the AHL in after that. I really, really hope they tell the Rangers to go screw.

That'd be great. Then every March 1st we can celebrate a 'Rangers Go Screw Day' in Hartford :)

GS surely knows that while keeping the Whale brand is profitable, tossing the Parasites out would be much more so. One is good, the other is great.

It'd be somewhat like when Jefferson sent an emissary to the French to buy New Orleans &, for a little more, Napoleon sold us an entire 3rd of our country instead, haha.

MarkH2919 wrote:

> I realize that, HYMH. I'm just saying the brand has to be the hold up, and

> Global, God bless them, are sticking to their guns wonder**lly. They do

> have a little leverage after all, because they know they can bring the

> Phantoms in here for a year, then have the Baldwins or someone else bring

> the AHL in after that. I really, really hope they tell the Rangers to go

> screw.

Me too Mark. I'm tired of the MSG cancer that's been slowly eating away at our city. Get lost NYR

Let's hope if they do send the Ranjerks / MSG packing that takes care of the whole stupid "territorial rights" issue as well. Burns me up to no end that just because they ran in here to squat in our market they now "own" the territorial rights.

Is there really any truth to the rumours about MSG wanting to use "Rangers" in the name? I figured that they basically screwed the Baldwin's to use them in order to switch to the Whale colors/Brand, which any idiot would know would work out far better in this market than Ranjerks colors or the name. They knew they couldn't get away with it themselves, so I was guessing they were trying to get their way by using the Baldwins, then set them up to fail with the ridiculous rent situation. Are they really that stupid to think people would embrace the name (man I hate even typing it) "CT Rangers" ? Or go back to the Wolf*Yak?

Haven't they figured out by now that this is the "Land of Steady Habits", we're notoriously stubborn here in CT and we love our Whalers, gone or not?

nedman wrote:

> Is there really any truth to the rumours about MSG wanting to use

> "Rangers" in the name? I figured that they basically screwed the

> Baldwin's to use them in order to switch to the Whale colors/Brand, which

> any idiot would know would work out far better in this market than Ranjerks

> colors or the name. They knew they couldn't get away with it themselves, so

> I was guessing they were trying to get their way by using the Baldwins,

> then set them up to fail with the ridiculous rent situation.

The Rangers/MSG set up Howard Baldwin to fail with the "rent situation"? So you are saying that MSG had something to do with the amount of rent being charged and they knew that Howard was clueless enough to take on a no-win situation? Really?

jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> And your feeling on the whole situation with Howard is crhabsfan.. Aeg and

> MSG were in it together, one is out and now the other wants to hurt

> Hartford even deeper with a me change that is not necessary..

I'd like to respond to your post, however, I do not understand what you wrote. Would you mind posting again, this time in English?

CTHabsfan wrote:

> nedman wrote:

> > Is there really any truth to the rumours about MSG wanting to use

> > "Rangers" in the name? I figured that they basically screwed the

> > Baldwin's to use them in order to switch to the Whale colors/Brand, which

> > any idiot would know would work out far better in this market than Ranjerks

> > colors or the name. They knew they couldn't get away with it themselves, so

> > I was guessing they were trying to get their way by using the Baldwins,

> > then set them up to fail with the ridiculous rent situation.

>

> The Rangers/MSG set up Howard Baldwin to fail with the "rent situation"?

> So you are saying that MSG had something to do with the amount of rent being charged

> and they knew that Howard was clueless enough to take on a no-win situation? Really?

Clearly AEG set them up to fail with the rent agreement, and Howard being the optimist he is must have figured he could beat the crappy rent situation with paid attendance. One would think MSG could have exercised some degree of influence on that agreement, esp when renegotiations were attempted but pretty much left WSE out to hang themselves by doing nothing to help the situation. MSG had nothing to lose and everything to gain with a new brand brought on by the godfather of Hartford hockey. And now he's out of the picture. All water under the bridge, and here's hoping the rumor of ditching the Whale brand remains just that.

There is still absolutely nothing new to report...not surprisingly, it's been quiet all weekend.

It's now been 2 weeks since Frank Russo said he had hoped to have a deal done, and 1 week since Paul Doyle said that an announcement "could come any day". The only real news...and we're not even sure if it's true, is the blog report that the Abbotsford AHL franchise will be moving to Utica at season's end.