Sign in to follow this  
Hartfordyouremyhome

Latest Rumors, Innuendos & Guesses; Post 'Em Here

All right. Sufficient time has p*****ed with no announcements (after we all thought there might be) about our hockey **ture in Hartford. On this thread, please post anything new you've heard & would like to share, or any rumors, innuendos, or best guesses.

All we're doing lately is posting stuff to not just spin our wheels as we wait. (Hey it's cool; everybody's interests are different. Ours just happens to be hockey.)

Anyway, post whatever your updated opinion is on Hartford's hockey situation here so maybe we can keep all the guesses in one thread till we find out. (Soon, presumably)

Remember, no guess is too stupid. Actually, wait. I spoke way too soon on that. Yes, probably some are too stupid. But that's the way it goes.

Ok, let's hear 'em.

This would fall under the category of "guess", but if the Abbotsford to Utica rumors are accurate, that is potentially very good news for the name situation here. The reason is that it's one less place the Rangers can go if the deal here falls through. So, that really leaves just Glens Falls and Hartford for the Rangers to play next year. Global controls the Glens Falls Civic Center, and Global will control the XL Center. Doesn't leave a whole lot of wiggle room for the Rangers does it? :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

MarkH2919 wrote:

"This would fall under the category of "guess", but if the Abbotsford to Utica rumors are accurate, that is potentially very good news for the name situation here. The reason is that it's one less place the Rangers can go if the deal here falls through. So, that really leaves just Glens Falls and Hartford for the Rangers to play next year. Global controls the Glens Falls Civic Center, and Global will control the XL Center. Doesn't leave a whole lot of wiggle room for the Rangers does it? :mrgreen::mrgreen: :mrgreen:"

Interesting point. I had been looking at it completely the other way; hoping that there were as many other options as possible for the Rags to go to. Not less.

As much as I dislike the ridiculously stupid 'Wolf * Pack' name, I'd take it in a second if it meant the Rags were gone.

I hope you're right Mark & it works out best for Hartford.

It's just that keeping the 'Whale' name along with the Rags/MSG is kind of a hollow victory. The d-bag organization would just be outfitted in better uniforms.

& you know, all of the Parasites' fans here were saying "The Flames would never come east." Well, Utica, NY is 3 hours from Hartford & neither city is anywhere near Calgary, Alberta.

Why can't we simply get the Flames & let the Parasites have Utica? Problem solved. They'd have much more support up there, anyway.

"Interesting point. I had been looking at it completely the other way; hoping that there were as many other options as possible for the Rags to go to. Not less."

Well, yes, that's understandable too. I want the Rangers gone...not as much as you do, but if they kept the Whale name, colors and song, I could at least tolerate them being here.

All of that said, if our guess that the holdup is the name of the team is still correct, then this eliminates the majority of the Rangers leverage. Which could be very good news for the people that still want the team to be called the Whale, whether it's "Hartford Whale" or "Connecticut Whale" makes no difference.

MarkH2919 wrote:

""Interesting point. I had been looking at it completely the other way; hoping that there were as many other options as possible for the Rags to go to. Not less."

MarkH2919 wrote:

"Well, yes, that's understandable too. I want the Rangers gone...not as much as you do, but if they kept the Whale name, colors and song, I could at least tolerate them being here. All of that said, if our guess that the holdup is the name of the team is still correct, then this eliminates the majority of the Rangers leverage. Which could be very good news for the people that still want the team to be called the Whale, whether it's "Hartford Whale" or "Connecticut Whale" makes no difference."

Yeah...cool, I guess. If they keep the name, great. Though for me it'd still be a complete waste of money to attend games because all that'd be worth going for is the aesthetics & not the hockey itself.

Keeping the name but also the Rags here is like going in for an appendectomy where the doctor notices an ingrown toenail, removes it instead, & tells you to come back for the appendix in around five years or so.

Although really, can a simple thing like this branding issue really be enough to stall this entire process for this long? If so, that seems sort of beyond petty.

& I agree there's little difference between 'Hartford' or 'Connecticut' Whale. I prefer 'Hartford,' but I don't really care much.

"Yeah...cool, I guess. If they keep the name, great. Though for me it'd still be a complete waste of money to attend games because all that'd be worth going for is the aesthetics & not the hockey itself."

I realize it's not the perfect scenario, I even realize it's not the absolute best scenario for Hartford hockey. But, it's a **** of lot better than having "Hartford Rangers" or a reincarnation of the WolfPack shoved down our throats.

"Although really, can a simple thing like this branding issue really be enough to stall this entire process for this long? If so, that seems sort of beyond petty."

It's not petty when the Whale brand is bringing in around 1,000 more people per game. At the minor league level, where 1,000 people is somewhere between 10-25% of your average attendance, the name is pretty important.

MarkH2919 wrote:

"Although really, can a simple thing like this branding issue really be enough to stall this entire process for this long? If so, that seems sort of beyond petty."

"It's not petty when the Whale brand is bringing in around 1,000 more people per game. At the minor league level, where 1,000 people is somewhere between 10-25% of your average attendance, the name is pretty important."

Oh, I didn't mean it like that Mark. I meant completely petty on the Rags end. Why would an NHL team fight so hard for something that would greatly reduce both revenue & attendance for their top affiliate?

Answer: They're complete d-bags who will keep pissing on this market as long as they're here.

& for this reason ^, & this reason alone, I think it's far more important to jettison these clowns than to maintain the name.

Now with that said, I absolutely agree that the name/jerseys/song is a very important thing to keep. I love the Whaler identity. colors & Br***** Bonanza; & I'd just as soon use a Wolf * Pack or Rangers jersey to clean up after an overflowing toilet.

But this hockey market will continue to decline into nothing as long as they're here. I've said it for years, & they keep proving me correct. & that to me is more important than the aesthetics. Who knows what's next with these guys?

Look at how much the Rags are fighting against the city's obvious best interest now with this name thing. Eff them.

& of course, there's no doubt that the next team in here'd have no issue naming them 'Whale' at any rate.

"I think it's far more important to jettison these clowns than to maintain the name."

I understand...like I said, if they keep the name/colors/song, I can tolerate them staying. You can't tolerate them at all. No big deal, we'll just agree to disagree.

"But this hockey market will continue to decline into nothing as long as they're here"

I'll be perfectly honest, if they leave the Whale brand alone, I think it would give Global a much, much better chance to turn this market around, even with the Rangers here, then with the WolfPack name or worse, the Rangers name. Changing the name to Rangers or back to WolfPack would basically force Global to start from scratch...again. WSE had to do the same thing in 2010, with no time to work with, and while they did well, they has to bust their collective backsides to get anywhere, and that was with a brand people actually wanted. Imagine how hard it's going to be to try to sell WolfPack or Rangers to what is still a mostly Whaler fanbase? This is one market where the brand means almost everything, and for the Rangers to take it away would be the last straw for a lot of people, not just a few of us here.

MarkH2919 wrote:

"Changing the name to Rangers or back to WolfPack would basically force Global to start from scratch...again. WSE had to do the same thing in 2010, with no time to work with, and while they did well, they has to bust their collective backsides to get anywhere, and that was with a brand people actually wanted. Imagine how hard it's going to be to try to sell WolfPack or Rangers to what is still a mostly Whaler fanbase? This is one market where the brand means almost everything, and for the Rangers to take it away would be the last straw for a lot of people, not just a few of us here."

I agree with all of this ^.

Tell me Mark in your own opinion, *****uming this delay is because of the name situation & not something else that's unknown to any of us, why do you think the Rags are fighting so hard for something that'd be so detrimental to the hockey market they re**se to move their affiliate away from?

By the way that is not meant to be a sarcastic question. I asked it so that I might get a different perspective on it than my own.

"Tell me Mark in your own opinion, *****uming this delay is because of the name situation & not something else that's unknown to any of us, why do you think the Rags are fighting so hard for something that'd be so detrimental to the hockey market they re**se to move their affiliate away from?"

I think it's two-fold. First, they want nothing to do with the Baldwins. I think they view the 2 years they ran the team as bad and not good, because of the mountain of debt and the bad vibe that was left here because of the mountain of debt. Second, they feel they are the New York Rangers, one of hockey's most historic clubs, and their name sells itself. Which in most cities in this part of the country, that would be true...if they moved their AHL team to Utica and called the team the Utica Rangers, nobody would flinch. Nobody would blink an eye if they were the Adirondack Rangers.

So you ask why they are fighting so hard for it...I think it's mostly because they want to wash their hands of the Baldwins, even it means a major PR hit for the team and a financial hit for the city. Global, right**lly, cares about the city they are going to be working in for the next decade, and they know Whale is a better name than Rangers or WolfPack, at least financially.

Unfortunately this is bad news if you wanted the Rangers gone because a team that was looking at Hartford is now gone and a landing spot for the Rangers is now gone making Hartford more likely for Rangers.

Would have preferred Whale to to GF, Heat to Hartford, and Phantoms to Utica for one year.

I often wondered what the team thinks about this whole situation including the fact that the majority of this board want the Rangers out of here. I *****ume there is division among them as well as the fans. My guess is that many could care less about where they play, or do they give a damn about the fans or the city. Do they even read this site? Any info. on this?

There are two teams rumored to possibly move their affiliate next year:

Vancouver Canucks

Minnesota Wild

Both would be ideal for Hartford and Global Spectrum should be talking to both of these teams right now!

Starting to look like yet another day with no announcement...

Maybe something is cooking with the Wild...If the Utica rumors are true I would expect the Canucks to go to Abbotsford.

I know Vancouver is about 3000 mile away but how great would it be to have their farm team! The colors are correct and the Whale theme is also already present. Nice fit. (Unless you have to get called up)

The Whale trademark is listed as "Dead". The CT Whale brand was "abandoned" on July 13, 2011, and listed as "died" on August 9, 2011. The Hartford Wolf Pack brand and website were updated on September 22, 2011. They were registered again by MSG two weeks ago.

2011...that was almost 2 years ago now. And they are still using the name.

In other words, that doesn't mean anything, nor does re-registering the WolfPack website.

You know, we probably won't know until this summer, otherwise, this would end up being a lame duck season for the rest of the Whale season and attendance could drop off if there is a team name change.

"You know, we probably won't know until this summer, otherwise, this would end up being a lame duck season for the rest of the Whale season and attendance could drop off if there is a team name change."

Give that man a cigar. ;)

Excellent call, WhalePack. To me it sounds like everybody...from Frank Russo and Global Spectrum...to the CRDA, who must realize that even though the increase in attendance wasn't what was predicted, it is higher, and higher attendance means more $ for the parking people, for the restaurants/bars around the XL Center, and for the people inside too...even the AHL (remember what David Andrews said a month or so ago regarding the Rangers and the Whale brand staying in Hartford)...want to see the Whale name stay. The only ones that don't...are the Rangers themselves.

Another point...I know last March, Nick Criscuolo, who was my first WSE ticket rep, told Evo and I at a game about the list of dates for this season...which is the first step for the AHL to put their schedule together...so that is going to be coming up soon as well...In other words, this has to come to a head...maybe not the name...but an agreement...and fairly soon.

"You know, we probably won't know until this summer, otherwise, this would end up being a lame duck season for the rest of the Whale season and attendance could drop off if there is a team name change."

Very good call WhalePack.

So what your saying is if there was an announcement that they would be getting rid of a name and colors it would hurt sales of the brand that was going out.........Wow maybe you should explain this concept to MarkH, because he keeps wanting to compare the 11 games under the WolfPack brand in 2010. Even though there was an announcement that they would be rebranding the team on Nov. 27th. MarkH wants to compare the last games under the WolfPack brand going out vs the Whale brand coming in. Not a far comparison when AEG was doing everything in its power to get rid of Hartford Hockey entirely in 09-10.

If the Hartford WolfPack averaged 6,000 a game next season MarkH would find a way to twist the numbers to say the Whale did better this season.