Sign in to follow this  
WhalePack

3 more years of Hartford hockey!!!

welp after this announcement we can delete about 20 threads now haha. so it looks like they will keep the whale brand the way they use the name often in this press release.

The name "Whale" was mentioned many times is this statement release. Hope**lly that means that the team will remain as they currently are (which includes br***** bonanza as the goal song). But I'm not falling for the old okiedoke. I want verification that both the brand and song will all remain as is before I renew anything for next season.

It's good there is no mention of a name change, and the Whale name is even mentioned while talking about the **ture, but the Rangers are not to be trusted. Unless someone says the name will not change, I won't feel comfortable. All of them know it's a huge issue with fans, and for them not to say something one way or another still worries me.

Edited by Guest

Hartfordyouremyhome wrote:

> & the down-slide of Hartford hockey continues. Great.

I'm optimistically hope**l as it's interesting that it's only for a 3 year deal. I'm trying to give global the benefit of the doubt here as they will still be in control for 7 more years after this new Rangers extension expires. They may have a long term plan to move us (Hartford) away from the Rangers. Time will tell I suppose.

Edited by Guest

I wrote to Juliet Manalan (who issued the press release) and asked about the name change. She wrote right back and said, "I’d direct that question to the Whale, they would control that." Who should we contact? I want the question answered.

All it said is "may change"

It said they are reluctant to do business with Baldwin's company...but that could change. Remember...Global and the Baldwins are tight...it's possible that the state and the Rangers may have nothing to do with it.

Just look at today...at 10:00, we had the Rangers in Glens Falls, and 2 1/2 hours later, they're here for another 3 years. Things can change in business...quickly.

WhalerChad wrote:

> Cool so now we know we have the Whale here and global promoting them!

Do we? No way to be sure until something is definitively announced that the name is either staying or changing. Until that happens Global can't promote crap. I think the longer they wait to give us an answer about the name, more the chance is that they will be changing it. If the "Whale" brand name was solid and staying, why just not come out and say so? To me that means it's still in jeopardy (thus so is my season ticket renewal)

They just updated the article again ............

"The deal, announced by Gov. Dannel P. Malloy Tuesday, will extend the Rangers' lease at the XL Center through 2016, with a provision for two additional years. The franchise has been known as the Connecticut Whale since 2010 and the name is expected to remain the same."

For the record, the title of this thread is a misnomer.

Regardless of whether it was the Parasites who signed up here, there would've been more years of Hartford hockey. Better years, actually.

A more accurate title would be, "3 more years of divisive, nearly unmarketable Hartford hockey."

Great.

Does anyone know what type of business interactions or payments that have to be made in order to have the whale brand under MSG and Global? Like do they have to get baldwins wish or pay him some sort of fee to have the rights for the name since WSE created the brand/logo?