Sign in to follow this  
Whaleofatime

CT Whale 2011-2012 Attendance

It is supposed to be a "field trip" deal, I believe.

I'm with whoever said that there were no field trips to hockey games when we were in school...but that makes no difference. WSE knew in August that they had this game at 11:00 yesterday. Send flyers to every damn school within 20 miles of Hartford and see what you get for response. To have 1,583 is beyond embarr*****ing.

Again this speaks to no business sense over there.....The fact of the matter is that next week is CMT testing week. This week is used for practice testing and prep work by most school districts so there's no way they would ever allow kids to go on a field trip...the testing schedule is set a year in advance each year and is posted on all school websites...this is no surprise or shock to anyone. The fact that WSE dropped the ball here just speaks to major issues THEY have and nobody else is to blame but management.

Blaming this on someone at wse who's no longer there (previous poster insight) is yet another example of wse not taking the blame for something they screwed up!....You schedule these 11am games strategically to attract field trips and you do so by setting up an educational program around the game...that's the only way the schools get on board. We went to one a few years ago when we lived out of state and the team had the kids come in early and hear from the local meteorologist talk about weather and science...then the strength/cond guy came in to talk about fitness etc...that's how you get 6,000 kids to show up!

Geez--it's common sense people!.....

The Wolf Pack used to give out workbooks, crayons, and pencils. The workbooks were based around the history and science of hockey, and they would give out most of the info during the breaks in the game.

For me it depends on the who sets the Date if the AHL sets it than I cant expect a ton out of WSE even with crayons and coloring books the avg for games with the pack was just 2000 more people hardly a great showing,

its either the Market or the Marketing or a combo of both, on why the attendance is low in HARTFORD?

Here are the last two "School Games". I can't go back farther than that:

2006-03-22 Manchester Monarchs @ Hartford Wolf Pack - 3191

2007-03-28 Bridgeport Sound Tigers @ Hartford Wolf Pack - 3650

Yesterdays game is far below any average that the baby Rangers have had at 11am, but still neither recorded crowd amount is as good as other AHL cities have been.

Its weird thing just to be having a game at 11am for any reason. That being said I had a blast hanging out with Biggie, Whaleguy123 and a few others. It was **n to play hookey watching hockey. If they have it next year I am definitely there.

Well, I have done some research...

I have gone back through the last 5 AHL seasons, and only 4 teams have had school-day games every year. Bridgeport, Grand Rapids, Houston and Toronto.

11 teams have not had a schoolday game in the last 5 years, and 6 more have had or will have (Abbotsford and Albany both have their first ones coming up) just 1. So that's more than half the league.

It should be up to the individual teams if they want to have one.

Bridgeport had their school day on November 2, 11am. Attendance was 7,696 and they played the CT Whale. We lost, 4-3 in OT. My kid was there wearing his his CT Whale jersey when most kids had Sound TIgers jerseys so they had **n with that.

Bridgeport's "School Game" attendances:

2011-11-12 11am vs CT Whale - 7696

2012-01-02 1pm vs Sharks - 5945

2012-02-20 1pm vs Devils - 4606

Average - 6082

They still have one more game on April 4 @ 11am against the Falcons.

I know everyone is UCONN UCONN UCONN but honestly if UConn wasnt national champions 3 times no one would give a rats tail about them.

If a good Major League Hockey team was here instead UConn would be an afterthought, I bet we will see evidence of that as UConn deals with their NCAA disciplinary action. Think many games will sell out for a team that cant play in the NCAA Tourney, think people want to watch the remnants of what was a descent football program? We shall see in the coming years.

I remember going to UConn games in 85=86 and there were less people there than at any Whale game. So UConn went up like a struck match but not because CT. loves college sports or UConn its really always about winning in CT.

Evo nailed it. UConn hoops was an afterthought in this state until the 1988 NIT title, followed by the Dream Season of 1989/90. From that point forward, UConn became #1 in the state...why? Because they won. A lot. Same with the UConn women. Nobody knew there even was a women's team until they went undefeated and won their first title in 1995.

Guys, don't believe everything you read. The AHL mandating teams play a game at 11am is the most laughable presented fact I've read here thus far.

"The league also needs to properly account for special cir*****stances when creating the schedule, like mid-week “school-day” games or instances where an AHL team is scheduled to play a game in the home arena of its NHL affiliate."

http://theahl.com/behind-the-making-of-the-ahl-schedule-p143534

"Once a schedule format (who plays whom, and how often) is designed and approved by the Board of Governors at their Annual Meeting in early July, the schedule can truly begin to take shape.

The schedule board adorns almost one **ll wall in the office of Rod Pasma, the AHL’s executive vice president of hockey operations. He and his staff, namely director of hockey administration Lauren Peterson and executive *****istant to the president Melissa Caruso, take the lead roles in transforming the board from its blank starting point to a collage of markers representing the 2011-12 slate."

Yeah, but not every team has one, Biggie.

I went through every team today. At least 10 of them haven't had one in the last 5 seasons.

Providence, for example, doesn't play any weeknight games at home. As in none. All of their home games are Fridays, Sa****ays and Sundays.

I don't know who determines who has to host or play in "School Games", but the AHL makes the schedules. I also don't think WSE or Baldwin has any say in when the games are to be played. To blame it all on "a guy that was fired" just sounds made up to me. They had 7 months to market this game, and they only get 1500 people, which looked more like 1000.

I know the AHL makes the schedules, but certain teams have them every year, as I mentioned (BPT, GR, TOR), and certain teams don't have them at all (PRO, HER, SPR, SYR, BNG).

I guess there are two issues at play here. One, if WSE is going to take the responsibility of hosting a school-day game, then do the damn thing right...or two...say "no thanks, we'll p*****" and have the game at 7:00 and be done with it. I'll tell you right now...I can safely say they would have had more than 1583 if the game was at night. Might have been like 1588 or 1589, but it would be more. :lol:

My guess (and it is only a guess) is that WSE wanted the school game so they scheduled it. I've never heard it was mandatory and obviously it isn't as many teams don't do it (including us, I only remember a couple over the time we have been here). Normally it is a great way to get a ton of kids to the game and expose them to something maybe none of them have seen before and maybe they will bug their parents to go back. With that said I have no idea how they could screw this up so bad, Biggie and Evo you guys were there, how many people were actually in the building, five hundred or so?

I have NO problem giving up going to a game for the good of "marketing" but this was a total joke, another f-ed up situation, how many is that now, anyone counting? UGH!!!!

Biggie1083 wrote :

> I heard people saying that is looked like it was between 800-1000. I didn't

> look around, I was to busy taking pictures.

I gotta agree Biggie. I was there too and there couldn't have been more than 1000 people there.

Biggie1083 wrote : "The league also needs to properly account for special cir*****stances when creating the schedule, like mid-week “school-day” games or instances where an AHL team is scheduled to play a game in the home arena of its NHL affiliate."

Biggie1083 wrote : ... but the AHL makes the schedules.

Yes, the AHL puts the schedule together... based upon information provided to the league headquarters by member-franchises. Prior to the schedule being put together, each member-franchise informs the league of open-dates and hard conflicts at its home arena, preferences for days/nights of the week and times when it prefers to play its home games, as well as special requests. It then falls to the league to put together a schedule that accommodates all franchises as much as possible.

Biggie1083 wrote : I also don't think WSE or Baldwin has any say in when games are to be played.

Baldwin may not have an absolute say with regard to receiving dates from the XL Center's operator (AEG), but WSE certainly informs the AHL of what arena dates and times are going to be available to the Whale. I mean, it isn't as if the American Hockey League is informing its member-franchises to dictate to their respective buildings when they'll be playing games. The AHL understands that it must create a league schedule around the dates that facilities make available to its member-franchises.

(cont.)

Edited by Guest