Sign in to follow this  
MarkH2919

Danbury Whalers -- FHL LEAGUE CHAMPIONS!

By Nick Magoulas

The regular season was an up and down season for the Danbury Whalers but the playoffs gave way to a perfect showing as they captured their first Commissioner's Cup Friday night with a 6-3 victory over the Dayton Demonz.

In a series that everyone knew would feature a lot of scoring, it was the Whalers who were able to play the stronger defensive game and get spectacular goaltending from Finals MVP Mike Brown (42 saves). Phil Aucoin opened the scoring at 8:03 of the first period with a turn-around slapper that beat Demonz goaltender Jeff Rose over the glove side.

The second period featured a total of six goals between the two teams. The Demonz got the first from Brayden Metz just 1:29 into the second frame. The Whalers would retake the lead just 21 seconds later on a one timer from Kelly Miller. Matt Puntureri made a beauti**l p***** through the slot and Miller buried it over the goal line. The Demonz would tie it up again at 5:54 on Jason Hill's 9th goal of the playoffs. On the ensuing Whalers power play, it was a Demon, not a Whaler, who scored what turned out to be the game winning goal. Trevor Karasiewicz's attempted clear of the puck accidentally banked into his own net off of goalie Jeff Rose. Tyler Noseworthy was credited with the goal. Anthony Pisano would tack on another at 16:23 on a rocket from the blue line that beat Rose to the top shelf. Just 55 seconds later Cody Ayers would make it a three goal lead with what looked like a harmless wrister from just outside the right circle. That would spell the end of the night for Jeff Rose, who had a very tough series in net for the Demonz.

The Whalers would tally another at 15:38 of the third, as Noseworthy would cash in his second of the game. The Demonz would add a late power play goal from Jesse Felten, but by that time the result of the contest had already been decided. Jeff Rose made 25 saves, while Tony Tabisz made 13 in relief for Dayton.

Hartfordyouremyhome wrote:

> Congrats to Herm Sorcher & the Danbury Whalers. After all this time,

> Connecticut finally has its first, very own pro-hockey championship.

The New Haven Blades would disagree.

That place must have been rocking last night, the boxscore said they had 3116 in attendance...I don't think the place holds more than about 2500 or so.

Congrats to Herm Sorcher, and the entire staff and players down in Danbury...Now let's hope they have a league to defend their title in!!!!

By the way where are the pack rats' blogs on this thread? Their silence speaks volumes. I wonder why biggie's been so quite lately. I would have thought he'd jump all over my post about the NHL's Forbes money statistics as he was such a detail kind of guy.

Whalerdude, I can relate. Your buddy is the only pack guy who is not an a** h*** although I don't get get the the whole pack pt. of view comparing a NHL franchise to the AHL in any way is insane. He gets criticisms from many on this board as I do because he disagrees with the click. That's why I call them the sorority. I relish being on that list as girls will be girls.

Whalerdude11086 wrote:

> I'm in no way a Rangers fan, but you wouldn't count the 2000 Calder Cup win?

The what? I have no idea what you're talking about. :mrgreen:

The past is the past. The present is that the WHALERS have won the most recent professional hockey championship in Connecticut. Now it's the WHALE'S turn.

Whalerdude11086 wrote:

"Hartfordyouremyhome wrote: Congrats to Herm Sorcher & the Danbury Whalers. After all this time, Connecticut finally has its first, very own pro-hockey championship."

"I'm in no way a Rangers fan, but you wouldn't count the 2000 Calder Cup win?"

I don't count anything the Rangers do as anything that should matter to Hartford; only to them. They should bring that 2000 banner to MSG.

The minute they leave here, GS should see what they can do about getting the Rangers entire history here annulled.

I hope the ctWhale wins a championship too but its very unlikely.

The thing that is very cool about the Danbury Whalers is that there are a ton of Rangers fans who support the Whalers, the Colors and they all love Br***** Bonanza. It would be a great model for MSG to follow. I wish they cared enough to want that for Hartford. At the Danbury Ice Palace, everyone is behind one team not sitting in clusters of fractured loyalties.

When Whaler Talk had Herm Scorcher on he told me how he thought up the team, I asked him how the Ranger fans responded to the Whalers and he said it just took off. Herm wanted to use Br***** Bonanza as the team enters the ice. The fans said; no we want to hear "Welcome to the Jungle" when the team enters the ice and Herm said, No Problem, G'n'R it is. (There were a lot of New Haven Coliseum fans, those type of guys are the heart of any fan base)

You dont get that customer service from the Whale. Herm gave out his personal cell phone number to the public (Howard Jr pretty much did the same here, Vince, give him a s h o u t, MY MAN! :mrgreen: ). How many owners or CEOs do you know that care or have the balls to do that?

Can you imagine the bad calls you would take? Who on this board is completely pleased with the way things are right now in Hartford hockey? There just s h o u l d n t be that many people upset pissed off or boycotting Hartford hockey.

The CT Whale will be going home after April 20th with more efforts like last night. They were absolutely horrible.

Evo is right all the way around. Things are starting to gain some steam here, though...at least I think they are...another decent crowd last night, (6,317), not spectacular, but not terrible either. They're going to come very close to the WSE numbers of last year, they're only about 1000 behind last year's pace. So...I do feel there is a little momentum building here, the issue is that momentum would come to a grinding halt if they changed the name. Now, I heard from a source (and Evo heard it too since he was standing right there), that the Rangers and Global are still "in negotiations" about the name. So...take that for what it's worth...

MarkH2919 wrote:

"Now, I heard from a source (and Evo heard it too since he was standing right there), that the Rangers and Global are still "in negotiations" about the name."

What is this, a peace treaty? What could possibly be the explanation for that organization going through such great lengths to ensure regression?

Well...like I said before, take it for what it's worth. The source is in complete agreement that going back to the WolfPack would be a financial disaster for Global, and for the restaurants/bars around the XL Center. What really surprises me is that the CRDA doesn't realize this and instead of just sticking their collective heads in the sand, they would approach the Rangers, who they hand-picked, and asked them to leave things alone.

I wonder if sending something to the Greater Hartford Business Alliance (Oz Griebel and company) might help...

To be fair I don't remember exactly how it was worded, but there was an article yesterday in which GS said something along the lines of there being an expectation of decent fan support regardless of the name & affiliation.

On one hand, that sounds like they acknowledge the name/affiliation issue. On the other, that expectation sounds aw**lly optimistic.

I know the article you're speaking of. I believe Russo said the goal is 7-10K. If the Rangers finally...finally do something for the greater good of Hartford, and let the name remain...then I think in 2-3 years, that number is reachable...and even more reachable after the Rangers leave.

Let me put it this way, and when I spoke with my source at the game last night, I said this point blank...the crowd they had last night would have been...maybe 1/2 to 2/3 that number under the WolfPack brand. And the source agreed.

MarkH2919 wrote:

I know the article you're speaking of. I believe Russo said the goal is 7-10K. If the Rangers finally...finally do something for the greater good of Hartford, and let the name remain...then I think in 2-3 years, that number is reachable...and even more reachable after the Rangers leave.

Let me put it this way, and when I spoke with my source at the game last night, I said this point blank...the crowd they had last night would have been...maybe 1/2 to 2/3 that number under the WolfPack brand. And the source agreed."

It's like everybody knows the hockey situation, but have decided to just continue on doing what they have to know won't work. I honestly have no idea how MSG has so much power around here.

You'd think someone from GS, a business that knows hockey, would've sat down with those around here who run things but don't know about it & said, "look, our offer stands, but please step aside & let us revive this market & make it profitable."

Then the next call would be to MSG, & the conversation would be eight words long.

The issue is the Rangers don't want the CT Whale name. Not exactly a news bulletin, I know.

My source that I spoke with Sa****ay night said that point blank...right now, from everything my source has heard, the person that is driving the "return to WolfPack bus" is none other than Jim Schoenfeld. The source also told me that Global's preference is to market the Whale, but the Rangers, specifically Schoenfeld, do not want to budge.

Someone else posted Frank Russo's email addy on another thread, believe me, if it was his call and his alone, this would not be an issue whatsoever. The key is getting through to Schoenfeld.

I went to danburys fhl championship win and had a really great time and will defintiely go to more of the danbury whalers games next year. Everybody in the building all rooting and cheering and backing one team with all there heart and energy was a really nice change from how the xl center is like whalerdude said. I am really sick of hartford hockey fans being all split into cliques like whalerdude said.

This weekend hartfords ahl team wins 2 of 3 games they played. theres almost 17000 fans that go to xl center for ahl hockey this weekend. and you come out here and after a couple lines all you read is same old arguing and fighting and complaining and *****ing. Go whale blah, blah, blah. No go wolfpack blah, blah, blah. No go whalers blah, blah. No go rangers blah, blah blah. *****ing sad. Really really *****ing sad.