Sign in to follow this  
top cat

Frozen Four

Recommended Posts

Any interest on this? It would be great for Connecticut if either Yale or Qninni won. Reflecting back when University of Hartford jumped into Div. one basketball I felt it was a mistake. So far it looks like I'm correct. College hockey was almost virgin territory in Connecticut. A rink on that campus could have served the community of Greater Hartford and the inner city as well. Wasn't Mr. Fish who was behind building a state of the art skating rink there, but moved to Simsbury instead. TOO BAD. I still think it was a good idea. Side comment: Never heard of St. Cloud College, But LOVE their Logo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are so looking forward to the frozen four next week! It would be great to see Yale and Quinnipiac in the final game. I heard the games are all sold out in Pittsburgh already so if you were thinking of going, you're probably out of luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WhalePack wrote:

> We are so looking forward to the frozen four next week! It would be great

> to see Yale and Quinnipiac in the final game. I heard the games are all

> sold out in Pittsburgh already so if you were thinking of going, you're

> probably out of luck.

 

its 2013 lol your never out of luck...if you have the money for the secondary ticket market

 

 

http://www.stubhub.com/ncaa-frozen-four-tickets/2013-ncaa-frozen-four-championship-4-13-2013-4158359/

 

tickets are cheaper than the average ranger or bruins game lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

top cat wrote:

> Any interest on this? It would be great for Connecticut if either Yale or

> Qninni won. Reflecting back when University of Hartford jumped into Div.

> one basketball I felt it was a mistake. So far it looks like I'm correct.

> College hockey was almost virgin territory in Connecticut. A rink on that

> campus could have served the community of Greater Hartford and the inner

> city as well. Wasn't Mr. Fish who was behind building a state of the art

> skating rink there, but moved to Simsbury instead. TOO BAD. I still think

> it was a good idea. Side comment: Never heard of St. Cloud College, But

> LOVE their Logo!

 

the biggest thing about college hockey is its not on TV that much for people to follow. and even in boston while its the east coast coll hockey hub most of the fans are students/alumni. The beanpot has empty seats and its 2 session games so you could have 4 fanbases spliting just under 18,000 seats. I will say that a win in CT would help boost college hockey in CT in new haven. But it would be cooler if a team was in hartford to the scale of yale or QU. That would do wonders for the XL center and hartford.

 

also while the International Skating Center is in Simsbury Trinity has a rink that has programs for people in the innercity which is pretty cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot about Trinity, My oldest played a West Hartford youth hockey team there. Youth hockey also used Buena Vista and Kingswood. But University of Hartford would offer skating to another sector of greater Hartford. Any way could of would of should of. Go Yale Go Quini.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

top cat wrote:

> I forgot about Trinity, My oldest played a West Hartford youth hockey team

> there. Youth hockey also used Buena Vista and Kingswood. But University of

> Hartford would offer skating to another sector of greater Hartford. Any way

> could of would of should of. Go Yale Go Quini.

 

im a big advocate for getting hockey out to people whose families aren't hockey fans. i come form a family that after playing pick up hockey at preschool became the first in my family to play hockey after my parents did research and got me in a program a few years later.

 

Its interesting when it comes to the NHL diversity programs across the country because hockey is a sport where even in CT suburbs where parents make plenty in income to support their kid to play hockey the town might not be a hockey town with a rink near by. And while many efforts are focused on inner city programs which are great think of all the athletes in rurual areas across the country that don't even contemplate a sport called hockey

 

hockey will always will be a niche sport but I have always wondered how just exposing hockey to a few more towns anywhere in the country would increase the progression of talent at the top level. case in point seth jones who has the athletic DNA of his nba playing dad popeye jones and is a freak of nature for the gold medal junior team. kid has the coordination of someone who is 5-7 but is over 6 feet and growing. he is going to be a phenom in the nhl if he keeps it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think college hockey is even more niche than professional hockey, even in Boston. That said, the two colleges from CT being in the Frozen Four will be very beneficial for hockey in our area as it draws media and casual fan attention to the sport, two things it greatly lacks in the state. It's a scandal that Women's Basketball is wildly popular whereas you have to beg people to give hockey a tiny paragraph on page D8-7.A2 of the Courant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TheWhaleGuy123 wrote:

> I think college hockey is even more niche than professional hockey, even in

> Boston. That said, the two colleges from CT being in the Frozen Four will

> be very beneficial for hockey in our area as it draws media and casual fan

> attention to the sport, two things it greatly lacks in the state. It's a

> scandal that Women's Basketball is wildly popular whereas you have to beg

> people to give hockey a tiny paragraph on page D8-7.A2 of the Courant.

 

the main reason women's basketball trumps ahl hockey and gets more press is because they capture baby boomer market. the main target market for the uconn women is the baby boomer market. They go to games (even the 9pm late start ones) and they read the newspaper. Belive me if baby boomers cared about whale hockey the whale would be getting more coverage and the arena would be packed every game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed. The old trite saying "Can't teach an old dog new tricks" is very true". Very hard to change culture and the older one gets the more difficult. True example: A guy who was a baby boomer and a regular at my watering hole for happy hour said he didn't like hockey. When I asked if he ever went to a game he said he did with guys from work several times. I asked if he understood the rules and he answered that he did mostly. So I asked, "You do know the 3 zones and what the blue lines mean." His answer," I don't know the game as well as you do." This is not an isolated case. many people never bothered to learn the game. That's why Atlanta, Nashville, Phoenix., Carolina never progress in interest very much. It an't in their culture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed. The old trite saying "Can't teach an old dog new tricks" is very true". Very hard to change culture and the older one gets the more difficult. True example: A guy who was a baby boomer and a regular at my watering hole for happy hour said he didn't like hockey. When I asked if he ever went to a game he said he did with guys from work several times. I asked if he understood the rules and he answered that he did mostly. So I asked, "You do know the 3 zones and what the blue lines mean." His answer," I don't know the game as well as you do." This is not an isolated case. many people never bothered to learn the game. That's why Atlanta, Nashville, Phoenix., Carolina never progress in interest very much. It an't in their culture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

top cat wrote:

> Any interest on this? It would be great for Connecticut if either Yale or

> Qninni won. Reflecting back when University of Hartford jumped into Div.

> one basketball I felt it was a mistake. So far it looks like I'm correct.

> College hockey was almost virgin territory in Connecticut. A rink on that

> campus could have served the community of Greater Hartford and the inner

> city as well. Wasn't Mr. Fish who was behind building a state of the art

> skating rink there, but moved to Simsbury instead. TOO BAD. I still think

> it was a good idea. Side comment: Never heard of St. Cloud College, But

> LOVE their Logo!

 

You'll also love UM*****-Lowell's white jersey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the color scheme, But St Cloud's

Logo got it beat. Big loss for the HABS. That Russian kid was very good and would only get better. I'll stick with pick though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whaleofatime wrote:

> TheWhaleGuy123 wrote:

> > Why the huge delay between the last round and the Frozen Four?

>

> Men & Women's Final Four?

 

Up until a few years ago the played without the week off on Thursday and Sa****ay which meant the championship game was played on the same night as the Men's semis so the move was made to try and gain more attention/higher ratings. Of course the now puts them up against the Masters which isn't exactly ideal either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yale and Quinnipiac both advance to the championship game on Sa****ay, (ESPN, 7pm). An all-Connecticut final! I watched the games yesterday, looked like a big crowd in Pittsburgh. QU has beaten Yale 3 times this year, but that means nothing with this much on the line. Not sure if anyone else here watched, but QU's band played Br***** Bonanza during a time-out, and the announcers picked up on it. The Whalers are fondly remembered even after 16 years...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw that. Barry Melrose went "hey, that's the old Hartford Whalers song" and John Buccigross said "yup, Br***** Bonanza, still fondly remembered in Connecticut"

 

Congrats to both teams. I know people that go/went to both schools, so to pick one or the other will be difficult. I guess I can root for a good game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this