Sign in to follow this  

Hi guys, I posted this question on another thread but decided maybe its a good one on its own...

We were all mostly die hard whaler fans here, so question is, when the whalers left for the dump Carolina, did you start to root for and find another favorite team the way you loved the whalers..

I tried rooting for the canes for a bit but ended up hating it so when Keith Primeau (my favorite whaler) became a flyer i started rooting for them. I loved how the teams were tough and had enforcers but could also beat you on the scoreboard. i despite many of the unruly fans that root for the team, but love the flyers now.

I like this question. Tough but fair.

I tried but couldn't get behind any team. I realized ill never get behind ANY team like the whalers again in my life.

But I still love hockey and I live 10 min from the islanders so I go to their games to get my fix.

I always wear my whaler gear, which happens to attract a lot of positive reactions

But out if respect for their building I applaud for the isles when they score. When the canes are in town I root my ***** off for the isles and flip the bird to any Carolina fans i see. They often think we're cool with each other - **** no, we're not.

The thing is, you can choose a team & actually really get into rooting for them.

But, no matter how well you newer team succeeds & how cool their on-ice successes can be, you know that ll though it may come close at times, it'll never reach what it was for even the Whalers few successes.

However hockey's a great sport, & rooting for a team you want to support is better than nothing. & not that you can't watch & enjoy many different teams, but here I don't mean changing 'favorite' teams every season based on standings; I mean choosing one favorite & sticking with them, regardless.

I have put effort in. I even checked out these Rangers.

Columbus

Isles

Tippets team

Quennevilles team

Dineens team

Always had a spot for the Flyers

However, just like undercooked spaghetti flung against the wall, nothing sticks!

I would call myself a casual NHL fan, and a casual Hurricanes fan. This year for the first time ever, I bought the hockey package, partially because it was only $50 for the season, and partially because it would give me something to watch on cold winter nights. Never again, for this reason...I simply am not interested in the NHL enough to pay the **ll price for it.

I realize you regulars are well aware of my choice, but I wanted to weigh in for the record. Fist of all I briefly considered the Canes because of the players that I loved, but the hate I had for Karmonos and those people in Carolina who didn't know anything about this wonder**l game put a quick end to that. We paid our dues loving the Whalers through those very bad seasons. I considered NYI, Flyers @ Habs. I chose the Habs for several reasons, respect for their fans and history being 1st. GO Islanders GO Habs. BY the way, I was so heart broken when the Whalers left, I couldn't watch any hockey except watching my son play. For those who still can't pick a NHL team to root for I empathize

I'm from Boston originally and got into many a scrap in my youth being a Whalers fan surrounded by Bruins fans none too pleased to see a Turgeon jersey in the old Garden. That said, when the Whalers left, I was heartbroken as well, but I love hockey so much that I had to have my NHL fix and didn't have the loss of interest in the league that many people still have. I became a casual Bruins fan and over the years since grew to love my hometown team. Don't think for one second I wouldn't drop them for the Whalers in .01 seconds if there was ever a return. :D

Nope, NHL lost me and my interest in hockey was all but gone until November 27th of 2010 and the re-branding of the Whale. I did also attend the special Whalers nights over the years like when they retired Kevin and Ronny's numbers, other than that hockey was lost to me. Seems like we may be standing on the brink once again as I don't do Wolf Pack or Rangers.

>>>when the whalers left for the dump Carolina<<<

>>>those people in Carolina who didn't know anything about this wonder**l game<<<

I see all these years later you folks are still not above taking cheapshots at Carolina even though they did nothing to us.

Vince< you're just trying to break stones right. "What did Carolina fans do to us? " Well just being the recipient of "OUR" team is enough especially when they didn't show up for several years for their games and Karmonos gives free tickets away just to put fannies in seats. Damn right every Whaler fan is past bitter and filled with anger over this whole episode and put me at the TOP.