Sign in to follow this  
Hartfordyouremyhome

'Rhubarb McSweeney' & the Last Word on Hartford's Rushmore

As this was posted on a thread created for a completely different topic, I gave it its own quick thread to respond.

hartfordhockey wrote:

"...but I know Jersey had mentioned how Gernander shouldn't even be considered in "Hartford's Mount Rushmore of Hockey" when clearly he has been the face of Hartford Hockey (like it or not) for the last 16 years."

Hartfordyouremyhome wrote:

The face of Hartford hockey to whom? If Gernander walked down the street in Hartford, *****uming he didn't walk by one of his own players, who would recognize him?

Let's say the MLB Hall of Fame was limited to 4 players. Then one day its curator decided to take down Ted Williams' plaque to make room for one of Rhubarb McSweeney, the all time games-played leader for the 1962 Snow Belt League's Cooperstown Ice Bats. Now you start to get the idea.

If Gernander was fired tomorrow & then came back to Hartford to sign autographs in 2029, would 5,000 people show up for it? 500? 50? 5?

There is no sensible debate. If Hartford had a Mt. Rushmore with a maximum of 4 players, & Gernander was on there ahead of any eligible Whaler or Howard Baldwin, we'd justifiably be the laughing stock of hockey.

Edited by Guest

Even if he is the least man known in Hartford he still has been the face of HH for 16 years

Ill grant you that he is not interesting at all, I wouldn't even say he is a an award winning coach, I wouldn't even say he is a out in front representative of Hartford Hockey but you can't take away his 16 years which is more than any hockey personality (what personality I've seen) has had in Hartford barring HBS.

If you leave him off or purposely for the purpose of excluding the Pack then its just personal discrimination and nothing else.

I am not saying he is the greatest coach/player since Joe Torre at all but you can't treat 16 years like its 16 minutes.

If Kevin Dineen, Ron Francis and Ulf Samuelsson came back in 2029 they wouldn't draw 5000 either.

Gernander 16 years x 175k fans a year means alot of people in Hartford have see him play or coach.

If its HH I think you have to consider him. But if you goal is to be more mainstream then pick NHL only.

Whalevolution wrote:

"Ill grant you that he is not interesting at all, I wouldn't even say he is a good coach, I wouldn't even say he is a great representative of Hartford Hockey but you can't take away his 16 years which is more than any hockey personality (what personality? I know) has had in Hartford barring HBS."

To summarize what you've said, (& correctly, I might add) he's an average at best development league player & coach with little personality to speak of.

The easiest & fairest option if you want to acknowledge WP/Whale personnel is to toss their names on a plaque in the XL. I'd suggest over an upper level restroom urinal but, all seriousness aside, maybe somewhere in the atrium or near the 91 Club plaque.

Let's say a hockey Rushmore was limited to players only, & one day you're driving on I-84, look over & see Ken Gernander's face on a mountain. In order for that to occur one of, say, Francis, Dineen, Howe, Liut, Samuelsson or Verbeek would be left off.

Now imagine a mountain with Howe, Francis, Dineen & Ken Gernander. Frankly that would be absurd. As I've said, you recognize them with a plaque if you must. I can't even imagine that the Whalers chosen for it would even agree to it if Gernander bounced a Whaler off.

There are Hartford beer league guys who've played longer here & with better stats than the incredibly average 'Crash Davis' we have hanging around here. That's not to take anything away from him, though. Why? Because-

Honestly if I ****ed at hockey & had little knowledge of how to coach, but the Rangers kept sending me large paychecks anyway, you'd better believe I'd be out there in my Rangers windbreaker running AHL practices, too. & be ecstatic to be doing so.

I can't even imagine that putting gernander on Hartford mt Rushmore ahead of other hockey advocates in Hartford just because he played 16 years. Just remember this, gernander will always be tied to the New York rangers.. So I guess in a way MSG has succeded by takkng over Hartford. Unbelievable..