Sign in to follow this  
tiscipa165

Howard's XL Center

As a taxpayer I don't particularly want to pay for any upgrades to the XL Center, especially none that are just in "hopes" of getting an NHL hockey team in here. For all Baldwin knows he could have no team after 2013 and based on his estimates of 2017, that could potentially be 4 years of no hockey.

Gotta say, with or without the Whalers return, those XL designs are making me salivate uncontrollably. If this happens then I'm moving to Hartford.

Can you imagine what that would do for the downtown area??? I think that this would do a lot of good for the economy, and the XL has to be redone at some point anyway, this is a good, cheap alternative to creating an entirely new arena.

Renovating the arena is inevitable, I'd love for them to do it sooner rather than later. I don't see us losing a hockey team either. I can see this getting done, unlike when Larry Gottesdiener was attempting a new arena/team (then he gave up like a *****).

I've come to grips that, at 30 years old, if Howard isn't able to get this done, I will never see the NHL in Hartford again in my lifetime. Who else would put the time and effort into Hartford, CT like this?

You gotta admit, Howard has vision and he's trying. From a corporate standpoint, the economy is not all that bad as several large corporations in our area have had positive earnings and many profitable quarters over the past few years, despite what the economists say. Corporate sponsorship will be key. Can Howard get the large corporations to kick in?

Anyone notice the NHL Whales were beating the Rangers 2-0 (second picture in the gallery)? How does this make sense, the picture indicted that the AHL Whale was still in the XL center, so how could the NHL Whales be playing? Would an NHL team be renamed the Whales as opposed to Whalers? If you think about it, whaling is illegal now (at least in US waters), so "Whalers" as a name might cause problems with this overly sensitive population. Plus our mascot is a whale, so how does it make sense that we'd be the Whalers while our mascot is the very thing that we kill? I've never really got that. Of course I'd like to be called the Whalers if we ever got a team back, but it doesn't really make sense if you think about it. To be honest, I'd be more than fine having the team named the Whales, they could still have the same logo, etc.....I might even like it more. Whales area awesome.

I just wanted to point out that they were beating the Rangers, which I thought was **nny.

KRISTYNANN "As a taxpayer I don't particularly want to pay for any upgrades to the XL Center, especially none that are just in "hopes" of getting an NHL hockey team in here. For all Baldwin knows he could have no team after 2013 and based on his estimates of 2017, that could potentially be 4 years of no hockey."

I am sure alot of people feel the way Kristynann does but I think that we/Hartford needs this.

It reminds me of that quote in the movie Shawshank Redemption; Hartford needs to get busy living or get busy dying.

This is about trying to get Hartford to live and grow into something better intstead of just slipping away and being run down with an old outdated arena. Its a gamble, no doubt for sure but no risk no reward especially in this state. For people who dont want the NHL at least the new XL will be an incredible place to watch the AHL.

Predictably, some have greeted this news with concerns over "paying for" the new XL Center with their taxes. This, even though their share would come to less than lunch money per year. I could argue that this proposal by Howard is precisely what we've been waiting for, clamoring for, hollering for, pleading for, during the last, oh, 15 years or so. It's not going to be any more palatable than this. It's not going to come from anybody else. If this is shot down, that's it--no chance for the NHL in Hartford. None. Howard's our guy. This is what he promised. It's actually ahead of schedule. If we're hockey fans, this is our best day in many years. So let's not get all anal-retentive on taxes.

NHL back on the 20th anniversary of them leaving. The 105 million is nothing compared to getting the NHL to agree to move a team but if this comes out like the pictures I think the NHL will be interested. Now you know why Jr runs the Whale, because Howard is working on this.

Anyone else agree this would do far more for the Hartford area at a far smaller cost than building this busway that you know CT suburbanites will not ride. This is a car loving state. Howard's plan is an excellent one and I agree that the NHL would be interested if this is pulled off, esp Aetna pays for a lot of this. I was at the breakfast this AM and Aetna executives were standing behind Howard. Good sign.

TheWhaleGuy123 wrote :

> Anyone else agree this would do far more for the Hartford area at a far

> smaller cost than building this busway that you know CT suburbanites will

> not ride. This is a car loving state. Howard's plan is an excellent one and

> I agree that the NHL would be interested if this is pulled off, esp Aetna

> pays for a lot of this. I was at the breakfast this AM and Aetna executives

> were standing behind Howard. Good sign.

I've been saying that the busway thing is stupid since I first heard of it. They could have saved 500 million dollars by not building it, invested 105 million into th XL center/possible Hartford revival, and still had 400 million for something like the iQuilt project or something. Stupid, stupid decision. I don't see the bus route making that much of a difference to be honest. But yeah, the taxes would be what? 26 bucks per person? (105000000 / 4000000.....there were 3500000 population as of 2009, so I rounded up a bit). That's less than half a tank of gas. If you're really worried about it, put off driving for a few days, you'll live. Plus I'm sure corporations like Aetna will help out with **nding, making it even less. Taxpayers will have to pay some, but it will end up being low, and if this fails, goodbye XL center, goodbye Hartford as far as I'm concerned.

I had an invite to the breakfast, but, unfortunately, I'm out of town on business.

I'll say this: Howard Baldwin is an indefatigable civic booster. Still, as is so often the case with Baldwin's plans, the devil is in the details of who is actually going to foot-the-bill for giving substance to Mr. Baldwin's vision.

For those bandying about the $105-million price-tag as though it represents a bargain for the State of Connecticut, I'd offer-up the following caution:

* State of Connecticut debt still totals approximately $99,751,294,000 (total of outstanding official debt, the fiscal year 2011 budget gap, pension and other post-employment benefit liabilities, unemployment trust **nd loans, etc). We're looking at a $3.7 billion tax hike - the largest in the state's history - in order to cover the increased spending in the 2012 and 2013 state budgets. Public perception-wise, it is going to be extremely difficult for state office-holders to justify committing public **nds to a project of this type.

* How often do stadium/arena/ballpark construction/renovation plans come in on-time and on-budget? The $105-million price-tag cited now is almost guaranteed to go up before the completed facility is **lly on-line.

Without a deep-pocketed partner - and I'm talking about the likes of a capital-B billionaire - willing to step-up and make a significant investment in the renovation project, as well as serve as majority-owner of an NHL franchise, I question whether Baldwin's plan comes to fruition.

Time will tell.

These renderings are amazing. Also agree that $105 million to get this in return is beyond a steal. This is vision people. This is the stuff Steve Jobs built a legend on. You MUST dream to achieve. You must think different. With the cost of transportation going up, people are not going to travel to Boston or NY to see pro hockey. Its becoming more & more cost prohibitive by the day with ticket prices, food, and travel. Societies are becoming more and more self-contained, and this would be a perfect investment in that archytypical model going forward for our capital city. Naysayers: take a hike. We want to see progress, not more *****ing about the way things are. To affect change you must perservere and end the established way of thinking.

Jimmy, you're right, positive attitudes only! After looking at the artist's drawings again, we're calling Howard to be the first to sign up for one of the skyboxes/club seating at center ice on the main concourse! Awesome! Go Whale!!!

The negativity that these plans have been met with on the courant website are annoying. This project wouldnt end up being completely **nded by the taxpayers. Additionally, people need to realize that we do at times need to invest in some WORTHWHILE projects in this state to get things going around here. The return on investment in this situation would be huge.

Agree. For the first time in forever, I went to Hartford on a non-game day during the blackout (to watch the Giants play at Jim Calhoun's) a couple of weeks ago, and it was depressing as **** to see the area that quiet and that empty. This gives the area hope, fans hope and people jobs. Paying a minimal tax for that is more than worth it, but I have a feeling people will be too shortsighted to realize it.

On a side note, I'd be willing to chip in a buy one of the messages on the jumbrotrons during the first Whalers game to give Vince a shout-out.

That's the problem. The state has invested a lot of money into project that they said would have big returns, and nothing happened. A lot of people are getting mad at the money the state has wasted over the past couple of years.

Consider that if the state had taken the money it spent on the Front Street area with zero businesses and the money is going to spend on this dumb busway and focused on the XL Center, we could easily have a NHL caliber new arena...

Now...one person's take on all this.

It's extremely interesting that everything seems to come to a head on 6/30/13. The Rangers deal with Hartford will be up...the city will take over running of the building. Now...what to do with Northland??? No idea. Everybody knows that the relationship between Larry Gottesdiener and Howard is...um...icy at best.

I still want to see how they are going to pull this off and keep the capacity in the same ballpark as it is now. If they can do it...and to me, it's a pretty big if, especially after looking at the in-arena picture on the Courant's website...then we'll be in the game for the NHL. We don't know if a team will be available in 2017...or 2014 for that matter, but it seems pretty certain the NHL will not take Hartford seriously until the renovations are done.

Here's hoping it can be pulled off. My fingers, toes, and anything else that can be crossed...are crossed.

I`m confident that the renovations will be completed, simply because they arent basing everything on hockey. Fans of uconn and people who see concerts at the xl center would all benefit from the renovations. Will the release of these plans help to spark more interest in the whale? There is a home game friday, lets see how many people show up.