Sign in to follow this  
tiscipa165

Howard's XL Center

That is a horrible crowd, even against Maine. Kentucky can play Maine at 3 a.m. and draw 22,000.

If you asked me in 1995 if UConn would ever have a crowd as small as 10,726 for a Hartford game I would've laughed. There were **ll seasons then that were sold out.

This does show CT people are all into something for a little while and then lose interest. They also for no obvious reason tend to all of a sudden like something a ton no one cared about at ALL a short time earlier, i'e UConn Football, and then repeat cycle.

tiscipa, check UConn's recent history...a lot of their games in Hartford don't sell out, especially the out of conference games against cupcake opponents.

By the way guys and gals...if Hartford were to have another NHL preseason game, which do you think would be the best draw and why...

A) Rangers/Bruins

B) Rangers/Islanders

C) Rangers/Hurricanes

My guess is C, because I think a lot of the crowd would be either old Whalers fans that still root for the Canes, or people that hate the Hurricanes that much to the point they'd root for the Rangers.

Would like the option to have one team be not Boston, Rangers or Carolina, so we'd finally have an NHL team to root for; at least for a day. While it'd be great to have a chance to heartily boo the Rangers, to boo them with Boston/Carolina as the other team would take a lot away from it. Islanders would be fine.

My heart agrees with Hartfordyourmyhome but my head tells me that if Rangers and Bruins filled up half our arena when they were town then playing against each other should sell the joint out. Carolina anybody makes me sick but yet curious enough to be there to see the fan response. Carolina Rangers or Carolina Bruins still feels like Cancer vs Heart Disease.

Who do you root for?

Whalevolution wrote :

> Carolina Rangers or Carolina Bruins still feels like Cancer vs Heart

> Disease.

> Who do you root for?

Excellent post; this could not have been put any better, Whalevolution.

Puckhead63 mentioned the Isles a few posts up. That'd be fine with me. Make it Isles-Rangers, & I'll be happy to swing by Modell's & buy an orange John Tavares s h i r t just for that game.

If you are going to throw the Islanders in the mix, why couldn't try for a regular season home game against the Canes. I think it would be good to show that you can sell out the place without needing the Bruins or Rangers to be playing. You can promote it and vilify the Canes. The Islanders might be Ok with the game given that they could sell an extra 3000-4000 tickets since a Carolina game will be a much bigger draw in Hartford than on L.I. and they could potentially gain some new fans in a nearby market.

BTW did anybody else see that Dallas is currently last in the league in average attendance.

MarkH2919 wrote :

> By the way guys and gals...if Hartford were to have another NHL preseason

> game, which do you think would be the best draw and why...

>

> A) Rangers/Bruins

> B) Rangers/Islanders

> C) Rangers/Hurricanes

>

> My guess is C, because I think a lot of the crowd would be either old

> Whalers fans that still root for the Canes, or people that hate the

> Hurricanes that much to the point they'd root for the Rangers.

C would definitely be the best draw.

Very interesting article indeed. We need a cheerleader to raise **nds and it can happen. Look at MSG 3-year renovation project now in year 2. We just need the right people to go for it and find the **nding...

MarkH2919 wrote :

> Here's the problem...I think Pendergast only cares about UConn.

As long as the topic is brought to the forefront any renovation can only bode well for our chances. Then you'd have to think/hope, maybe pray the local gov't hops on board and tags along for ride.

Yea and they dont skip on the bill. Bettman has never said that a building cannot be made NHL ready through renovations. MSG is old as the hills but renovated its fine.

Any renovation on a 38 year old arena in a prime location is a good thing for Hockey on all levels, good for the city too.

Whalevolution wrote :

> http://www.theday.com/article/20120712/SPORT01/307129536

^^^ I went to that link, and the last line of the story is: This is the opinion of Day sports columnist Mike DiMauro. I didn't see any concrete plans in that opinion piece, just a lot of dropping names and trying to connect unrelated things, such as Governor Malloy being a graduate of BC and mentioning Patriot Place. Essentially, it was just all of the same worn out pipe dreams we were hearing the last few years from Hollywood Baldwin, when behind it all he couldn't even pay for a hand**l of hockey jerseys.

My favorite part of the opinion piece: "Baldwin and Whalers Sports & Entertainment had their chance to make their product relevant enough to invite change. Baldwin's turn at the plate produced a pop up to shortstop, likely ending the night that outdoor hockey game at Rentschler Field turned into a dud." I am not sure why WhaleFlop is being considered a dud, Mark is trying to bill it as the biggest outdoor sporting event in history, rivaling the Kentucky Derby and the Chicago Marathon. :lol:

WP98 I went to that link, and the last line of the story is: This is the opinion of Day sports columnist Mike DiMauro. I didn't see any concrete plans in that opinion piece,

Hey guys,

He can read, comprehend and regurgitate a reasonable opinion!