Sign in to follow this  
Whalevolution

Are smaller markets starting to prevail?

Just recently the NBA owners decided to stay in a small market over returning to a larger market.

Its definitely a change in direction from how sports business has proceeded in the past.

On Twitter the owner of the Miami Heat made mention also that fan interest played a role.

He said he voted to keep the team in Sacremento because Sacremento fought to keep the team where he felt Seattle let the Sonics leave.

If this is a new trend than it may be good news for Hartford who has in the past tried to keep their major league team and they have also had a few failed attempts at getting a new team.

Small markets maybe favored in the **ture which would be good for Hartford.

We have to figure out where we're going to get a new building.

Once we have that...or even solid plans for one, I think the hope can truly begin in earnest.

jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> A small market in a salary cap world will be better than most bigger

> markets.. Remember the whalers when they sold the first time, it would be

> one of the top sellers today..

Salary cap and OT loss point would make any new team in Hartford 10 fold better in the on-ice department. I talked about it before, but since the 04-05 lockout team's have averaged 92 pts per season or a .560 winning %. The chances Hartford comes back into the league and doesn't find some sort of success this time around is slim to none. Than again the Blue Jackets have missed the playoffs for 10+ years, but with all the good past Whalers coaching, a new Hartford team would probably have a front office and coach to envy.

9 Times out of 10 a small market is usually thriving because of winning combined with great GM's and owners. The only reason the OKC thunder sell out playoff games is they arguably have 2 of the top 10 players in the league. Even the LA Kings drew allot better when they were facing up yearly against the lakers in the early 2000's. But many small markets who are winning are still getting nobody out to see them play for 90% of the season. Look at the clevland indians right now in baseball.

As far as Hartford i agree with Mark H a new arena changes allot as far as Hartford getting a team. But the problem is nobody in our government is on board for a new arena. Clearly the new arena would have to be built in East Hartford. We can't put plastic surgery on the XL we need to start from square 1. There also need to be a huge collaboration effort from UConn sports as well. Realistically all the hopes and dreams of a new arena are nowhere close to being a reality. And we might miss the NHL expansion period. With other markets having new arenas already built i doubt we are going to get a deal where a team plays at the XL for 1 season or 2 while an arena is built.

The thing that I would be worried about is the politicians approving a new arena, but not making it big enough. I'd be worried that they would make a building the size of the M*****Mutual Center (6,866) or the Webster Bank Arena at Harbor Yard (8,525).

Biggie1083 wrote:

> The thing that I would be worried about is the politicians approving a new

> arena, but not making it big enough. I'd be worried that they would make a

> building the size of the M*****Mutual Center (6,866) or the Webster Bank

> Arena at Harbor Yard (8,525).

I was just thinking the same thing this morning

"ATL-WPG, SEA-OKC, SEA-SAC, PHX-QC? Sure is the trend."

I apologize in advance for what will sound like Vince throwing a wet blanket on our enthusiasm...but in the case of Atlanta and Phoenix, the league would have stayed in Atlanta and would gladly stay in Phoenix if they could find local ownership, it's only been after all local avenues have been exhausted that the small markets have had the opportunity. The Seattle/OKC situation happened because the idiots in Seattle didn't really try to save the franchise, and they let the team be bought by a guy from Oklahoma City. This latest situation (SEA/SAC) stems from Sacramento busting their butts to save their team, and they did. Let's be totally fair...Hartford put in the effort to save the team...the fans did for sure...but the city and state??? Not so much.

I think Mickey Arison should ST**!!!!! How dare he equate what was happening with Sac-town to what the owners of the Thunder did to Seattle!!!!! Everyone here who's a Whalers fan would, perhaps should, be sympathetic to what happened to the Sonics. It's probably worse than what Karmanos did to Hartford.

The fans weren't the reason the Sonics left, just like the fans weren't the reason the Whalers left. In both cases, the city and state are more to blame.

>>>Are smaller markets starting to prevail?<<< In a word, no.

As of now the Seattle group has upped their bid for the Kings and it appears they have the money. The Sacramento group has yet to produce theirs. Also keep in mind who is a member of the relocation committee, Clay Bennett. Who is he? He is the owner of the OK City Thunder. He bought the team when they were in Seattle and with David Stern's *****istance moved them to Oklahoma. Now you don't think Bennett is above holding a little grudge against Seattle eh? ;);)

Anyway Stern is getting what he wants, a bidding war for a team which in turn would raise the value of all the teams which is what Stern is looking for at all times. He knows the way to do that is to have cities bid on teams using deep pocketed owners and taxpayer-subsidized arenas. In the end where the Kings end up does not really matter as long the league can get an overly inflated price for the team.

I would suggest following this story keeping in mind the dollar amounts for the team and for the buildings and realize there is no way in bloody h**** this place would ever be able to do this.

VinceCT wrote:

"Also keep in mind who is a member of the relocation committee, Clay Bennett. Who is he? He is the owner of the OK City Thunder. He bought the team when they were in Seattle and with David Stern's *****istance moved them to Oklahoma. Now you don't think Bennett is above holding a little grudge against Seattle eh? ;);) "

What "grudge" would he have? One can't imagine that he'd be dumb enough to believe Sonics' fans & the city would be thrilled to discover their NBA team was being yanked out of town after 40-plus years.

He got his team, what does he care? He'll also have a built in Western Conference rival which can only increase gate receipts; like if the Whalers returned to Hartford & Carolina came to town.

Not every business, no matter how greedy, has the Rangers' mindset to keep stepping on a market to keep it down.

Another point to this is Hartford basically got no interest from the NHL and ever since 2010 there has been rumblings and speculation.

The media started to include Hartford as a possible relocation spot for wounded franchise.

If the State would commit to the idea Wed really be talking

Biggie1083 wrote:

> The thing that I would be worried about is the politicians approving a new

> arena, but not making it big enough. I'd be worried that they would make a

> building the size of the M*****Mutual Center (6,866) or the Webster Bank

> Arena at Harbor Yard (8,525).

Any politician that would approve an arena smaller than XL would need to be impeached right away.

DRC, there are rumors that anew building would be a smaller building than the XL Center. Even Baldwin's plan for the XL Center were for a slightly smaller building.

Hartfordyouremyhome wrote:

> DRC72 wrote:

> "Any politician that would approve an arena smaller than XL would need

> to be impeached right away."

>

> A smaller arena would be incredibly stupid. In other words, Hartford's

> probably considering it.

Lets hope its not that absurd