Sign in to follow this  
Hartfordyouremyhome

Adopt an NHL Team?

This may sound dumb, but what if those of us who can't stand the Rangers, Bruins, Hurricanes, etc. took a vote & decided to pick a completely neutral NHL team to root for collectively?

Now unless we get the NHL back, I'll keep rooting for the Sabres, just as others here will keep rooting for the Flyers, Canadiens, etc.

What I mean is, pick a team we can all root for together & support on this board, follow & talk about throughout the regular season & playoffs, maybe attend a game when they're nearby or catch a game out somewhere. So, root for your own team, but we collectively follow a common one.

Maybe there'd be 20 of us who'd even care to vote. Then let's say, the Blues get 8 votes, Flames 6 votes, & the Wild & Oilers get 3 votes apiece. Then our team becomes St. Louis.

If two teams tie for the most, there's another vote just between them, & the highest total is our team. We'd all agree ahead of time to go with the team with the most votes.

Now, I realize that this idea may be of interest to you, or you may think it's stupid. Either way, that's ok. Just thought I'd bring a new topic to the board that might be worth a discussion that would likely not bring any arguments.

Edited by Guest

MarkH2919 wrote:

"I like the idea. and my vote would be for the New York Islanders."

Thank you, Mark.

My vote is for Minnesota, but I'd be very happy supporting the Islanders instead, especially now that we know they'll be local for years to come.

Cool idea indeed. Picking a team we could all agree on could be the problem! My vote is for Vancouver. I like their Whaler-like uniforms, and grew an affinity for them when my favorite Whaler, Steve Weeks, was traded over there.

However, if one team started to get some votes, I'll join the majority.

I'm an islander fan so that's my vote. There are kind of local. I say kind of because their media presence in ct is almost non exsitant , seeing that I'm pretty sure no cable/sat providers outside of Fairfield county carry MSG + and their radio home has a range of about 20 blocks. That being said if you step into the 21st century and get center ice and the free "hockey radio" iPhone app and follow the excellent "islanders point blank" blog you'll get all the coverage you'll need. Good idea, but what would this board be if we could all agree on something ?

At this point I would support the Jets, however, if Quebec should return I would toss my support their way. Obviously these teams have faced the exact same pain as us so why not follow one of them.

Ok. So that's 7 votes for existing teams, with 4 votes for the Islanders. ( 1 vote for each Stanley Cup :) )

Now even though this is my idea, I'm perfectly happy with majority rule on modifications. Though my request is that we either wait for 20 total votes, or until there is no way any other team can get the majority of 20 votes.

& I'm with Mr. BB. Meaning that while my vote is Minnesota, if it gets close enough, I'll change my vote to the Islanders to be my common team with this board.

Any thoughts?

The Isles are easy to follow because they are semi-local, they will be a lot easier to get to games once they move to Brooklyn (I think Metro North has a stop right near the Barclays Center, or you can catch a subway from Grand Central), and we can follow their prospects in Bridgeport.

I also understand the Vancouver pick concerning the colors, and the Jets (or Nordiques) pick certainly makes sense as well for the reasons 4WHA mentioned.

MarkH2919 wrote:

"The Isles are easy to follow because they are semi-local, they will be a lot easier to get to games once they move to Brooklyn (I think Metro North has a stop right near the Barclays Center, or you can catch a subway from Grand Central), and we can follow their prospects in Bridgeport."

All true. Plus, Long Island was once part of Connecticut, Albeit a very, very long time ago :)

Ok, the total so far is 8 votes, as follows:

NY Islanders 4 votes

Vancouver Canucks 2 votes

Winnipeg Jets 1 vote

Minnesota Wild 1 vote

Also, for obvious reasons, any vote for the NY Rangers, Bruins, Hurricanes or Canadiens will be excluded.

WhaleCowbell1222 wrote:

"My dad's team has always been Buffalo since for God knows how long. So I would say the Sabres."

My team's been the Sabres for years, too. The reason that I didn't vote for them was because of Adams Division thing. But if you're going to cast your vote with Buffalo, then I'll change my vote to them. Now that I think about it, there may be at least one other Sabres' fan on this board, too.

Updated: Total-9 votes

NY Islanders 4 votes

Vancouver Canucks 2 votes

Buffalo Sabres 2 votes

Winnipeg Jets 1 vote

Also, for obvious reasons, any vote for the NY Rangers, Bruins, Hurricanes or Canadiens will be excluded.

Why is it obvious that Mont is excluded? there are only 3 toxic teams and Montreal is not one of them. I'm thinking HYMY is making this a personal thing. As far as picking a team 2000 mi. away makes it a bit difficult to attend home games. Seeing your team play at home is far more exciting than on the road. Philly, Washington, Mont.are a reasonable one way drive, but a over night stay would be much more expensive and if you don't have any interest in that city itself makes even less attractive. NJ, NYI would be your only choices. I picked the Habs not only for their rich hockey history but also I love the city. I don't see where Mark who also hates the Habs put them on the unacceptabe list. HYMH, you still are are a jerk.

top cat wrote:

"This whole thread is ridiculous and moronic just the the author."

Hey simpleton, if you ever read anything at all before you opened your mouth, you'd know that on several occasions on this board I've voiced my respect for the Canadiens, their organization, their city, & their reverence for Hartford. & I've also said I'd have no issues with having Montreal's AHL team in Hartford.

I excluded them out of respect for some other Whalers' fans who understandably don't like them. So do us all a favor, & learn what it is you're talking about before someone as idiotic as you calls other people moronic.

TO EVERYONE ELSE: Please ignore this guy on this thread if you can. As you can see, it's been one of the few examples of a thread with no arguments & people getting along while having their chance to voice their own opinions, & to be heard with respect.

To get back on topic, with Glothelegend's post, that's 5 votes for the islanders.

Again this stupid 7yr. game is Ridiculous. What's next? What's you favorite color or What's your favorite ice cream? How f***** old are you? I think we are all old enough to pick our own team to follow for what ever reason. The pack rats have got to be laughing the A**** off. HYMH you will be the first person I want to meet on this board A little boy in a man's body. what a freak.

Top Cat, do us all a favor; shut up & ignore this thread.

Before you jumped on with a continuation your endless stupidity & ignorance, this was a peace**l, interesting thread that obviously several others are happy with. Have you noticed not even WP fans have jumped on this thread? Only you: arguably the dumbest person to ever set up an account on this or any other board.

Your made your (idiotic) point. Now go bother some other thread.

I've always had a soft spot for Montreal........... A great team and fans that always respected the Whalers when they visited Hartford.

DRC72 wrote:

"I've always had a soft spot for Montreal........... A great team and fans that always respected the Whalers when they visited Hartford."

I agree, DRC72. Montreal was great to us. (Except on the ice, haha) It's just that it is understandable that a lot of Whalers' fans wouldn't want to support them.

I just want to be as fair as possible with this thread.

Hartfordyouremyhome wrote:

> DRC72 wrote:

> "I've always had a soft spot for Montreal........... A great team and

> fans that always respected the Whalers when they visited Hartford."

>

> I agree, DRC72. Montreal was great to us. (Except on the ice, haha) It's

> just that it is understandable that a lot of Whalers' fans wouldn't want to

> support them.

>

> I just want to be as fair as possible with this thread.

Totally understandable!!!! In all honesty there isn't an NHL team in the US that I really like.