Sign in to follow this  
Hartfordyouremyhome

Countdown Clock: 34 Days till the Uniondale Vote

Recommended Posts

I'm being totally serious here: do you guys think its a forgone conclusion that if the rangers do in fact move to N*****au that there is someone else to move to hartford? I'm not convinced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

will5059 wrote:

> I'm being totally serious here: do you guys think its a forgone conclusion

> that if the rangers do in fact move to N*****au that there is someone else to

> move to hartford? I'm not convinced.

 

Yes. 2/3 of the AHL teams are in the NE corridor and Hartford arguably has the easiest travel in the league. For a league that's expenses is largely based on travel, Hartford becomes an ideal market for any team in the NHL because of the it's low travel costs. Also Global Spectrum is a juggernaut and has connections and would not let the building they're going to be running for the next decade not have an anchor tenant, after all they're in the business of running arena's and hockey teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've said this for years, & I'll say it again. There is no way that Hartford, CT will be without at least an AHL team.

 

& even if it was for one season, it'd be so absolutely worth it to get a change of team-ery around here. Unity, hockey happiness, & in turn a growing hockey market would all spring from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hartfordyouremyhome wrote:

> I've said this for years, & I'll say it again. There is no way that

> Hartford, CT will be without at least an AHL team.

>

> & even if it was for one season, it'd be so absolutely worth it to get

> a change of team-ery around here. Unity, hockey happiness, & in turn a

> growing hockey market would all spring from it.

 

 

Now I agree with you but this past season we both would have been wrong. The State paid the affiliation fee to keep the Rangers here because they were looking into leaving. If Hartford is such a coveted AHL city then we wouldnt have had to pay to get a team to play here. Granted most likely other teams were interested Calgary, Vancouver, Philly(yes even for one season), etc but I bet that other teams may have had to acquiesce to the Rangers in terms of territory rights. (Which I find to be a joke because most of Hartford cant stand the Rangers, so how is it their territory?) But thats the nature of the NHL beast.

 

One thing is for sure when Bushnell came into bid with no AHL team the State suddenly changed their tune. From my understanding the Bushnell couldnt even partner with a team to come to Hartford. Why that was I dont know but certainly there was a moment when there might not have been an AHL team in Hartford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

unity and hockey happiness and growing hockey market would spring from new Nhl team moving minor team to hartford? LOL that is too **nny. when i first post here i beleived in all hartford and connecticut hockey fans being united and happy but all fighting and complaining out here cure me of that cause everbody just beleives in there opinion and wants what they want. if a new Nhl team brings minor team to hartford some people would be happy and some would complain that it is still not a Nhl team and some would complain that new Nhl team not the Nhl team they want to put minor team here and rangers fans would complain it wasnt rangers minor team any more and some would complain about the new minor teams name and colors and logo. cause thats what hockey fans here do is just complain and call each other names and fight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WhalePack wrote:

> I think WhaleChad hit it right on the head, you can never please EVERY

> Hartford hockey fan...

 

You can never please everyone in anything, period. Once the Rangers are gone Biggie and Packfan and WP98 won't even be "Hartford Hockey fans"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't expect everything to be unified when the minority of the hockey fans in Ct have everything they want and the majority holds nothing. It's just not sensible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whaleofatime wrote:WhalerChad once the Rangers leave things will be

> much more positive.

 

I hope so but i will beleive it when i see it cause i have a feeling hartford and connecticut hockey fans will just find something else to complain and ***** and whine and fight about if new Nhl team brings there Ahl team here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whalevolution wrote:

"If Hartford is such a coveted AHL city then we wouldnt have had to pay to get a team to play here. Granted most likely other teams were interested Calgary, Vancouver, Philly(yes even for one season), etc..."

 

Just to follow through on your point respect**lly Evo, & not to be argumentative:

 

You can't really question if Hartford is such an AHL city, & then in the next sentence list 3 teams that would've come here if they could have. I would've absolutely let the Rangers walk & wait a season to reset this market.

 

Let me ask you this in general just for your opinion, Evo. (& anyone else can chime in, too)

 

Hypothetically, let's say all AHL team were on contracts that expired the same year. Excluding Canadian cities, let's **rther say there were 20 'free agent' AHL teams left to fight for all of the current American AHL cities the exist as of now on a first come, first served basis.

 

How many of these AHL teams, in your various would place one of their first 3 calls to GS in Hartford?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hartfordyouremyhome wrote:

> WhalePack wrote:

> "you can never please EVERY Hartford hockey fan..."

>

> Yes, true. But the goal isn't to try & please the least amount of them.

 

If this wasn't so sad it be **nny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing that con**ses me is that although the rangers aren't disliked by most who frequent this board, myself included, I still feel they are probably the most popular nhl team in the state. Although the bruins have gained a lot of younger fans with their success they past have decade or so I feel the rangers have more fans that became a fan because their father was a ranger fan and his father was a ranger fan. What I'm getting at is for all the whaler die bards that won't go support a ranger farm club there has to be at least one ranger fan. If that team can't draw than who? I truly believe there something else to blame. What that is exactly I don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

will5059 wrote:

> The thing that con**ses me is that although the rangers aren't disliked by

> most who frequent this board, myself included, I still feel they are

> probably the most popular nhl team in the state. Although the bruins have

> gained a lot of younger fans with their success they past have decade or so

> I feel the rangers have more fans that became a fan because their father

> was a ranger fan and his father was a ranger fan. What I'm getting at is

> for all the whaler die bards that won't go support a ranger farm club there

> has to be at least one ranger fan. If that team can't draw than who? I

> truly believe there something else to blame. What that is exactly I don't

> know.

 

I personally know maybe two Rangers fan residing in this state. On the other hand, I know several Bruins fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hockey itself is not a hugely popular sport in the Hartford area, it's a niche thing. The people that love it REALLY love it, like most of us. Most casual sports fans around here couldn't give two *****s about hockey, NHL or otherwise. Just being honest. But of those hardcore hockey fans, I'd say lately it seems to be a tad more Bruins than Rangers. South of Hartford is all Rangers if you go New Haven and south. I don't think a lot of people from those areas come to Hartford for WolfPack/Whale games or for anything really.

 

I also think Hartford would definitely have an AHL team if the Rangers left although I do think it was definitely possible that this year would have been an empty year with no team and the state paid what it paid to make sure that didn't happen. Lastly, I heard the reason the Bushnell didn't have any shot of an AHL team is the supposedly terrible reputation of Mike Fresher, who had been COO of the Bushnell and worked for the Pack prior to that. Fresher has now left for someplace in Texas as of this spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

will5059 wrote:

> The thing that con**ses me is that although the rangers aren't disliked by

> most who frequent this board, myself included, I still feel they are

> probably the most popular nhl team in the state. Although the bruins have

> gained a lot of younger fans with their success they past have decade or so

> I feel the rangers have more fans that became a fan because their father

> was a ranger fan and his father was a ranger fan. What I'm getting at is

> for all the whaler die bards that won't go support a ranger farm club there

> has to be at least one ranger fan. If that team can't draw than who? I

> truly believe there something else to blame. What that is exactly I don't

> know.

 

Another Rangers fan trying to convince themselves that Hartford and Connecticut is Rangers country..........PLEASE! Stop trying to convince everyone that a Rangers affiliation is the best possible scenario for Hartford hockey, because it's NOT. The ONLY people who feel that way are Rangers fans, that's it. If I were a Rangers fan I would want their farm team to remain here too. However, that is NOT what is best for Hartford.

 

An area neutral team affiliation would draw far more fans and be the best possible scenario for Hartford Hockey. (S h o r t of the return of the NHL and the Whalers).

Edited by Guest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this