Sign in to follow this  
p4277

Expansion Rumor?

Recently I've been reading rumors about the NHL possibly expanding with two new teams, bringing the total to 32. The new realignment seems to make this a next logical step. Expansion fees have been a source of revenue to be shared among the existing teams, and it's likely that each new team would be priced at about $200 million.

I have no idea of the time frame for this, if it happens at all. My guess would be that it would not happen until after the new CBA is negotiated and the situation in Phoenix is resolved.

So if this happens, where would these teams be placed?

If Quebec City is still looking for a team, they would be a prime candidate. Then the usual list of suspects, KC, Seattle, Vegas, Houston, Milwaukee, and maybe even Hartford.

Thoughts?

The new alignment is good for a potential return of the NHL to Hartford for the following reasons:

1. Only 7 teams each in the two 'Eastern' Conferences vs. 8 per conference out west.

2. Phoenix could move East and make one of the Eastern Conferences 8 teams.

3. NYI could move to Hartford and nothing would be affected, with rivalries with NYR, NYD, Phily, Pitts and Carolina.

4. Expansion could come to the two 'Eastern' conferences to create 4, 8 team conferences.

Bottom line is this change looks to set the stage for expansion to 32 teams in the **ture and for Phoenix to relocate if necessary. Will Hartford be ready?

they need to fix the uneven conferences via moving teams like phoenix to the east and or adding 2 new eastern teams. Its **nny the mlb is going to pay the new the astros 25 million just to move to the AL so they can have equal league sizes and here the nhl is making uneven conferences for free.

"LOL, if the NHL is having so much trouble with the 30 teams they have then why would they have 2 more teams. Rumors are just that, rumors."

Yes, this is all rumor right now, take it for what it's worth...

But there are at least 400 million reasons why the NHL would do it, ($200 million expansion fee X 2 teams). That could pay the owners back for the money that has been flushed down the sewer in Phoenix, with some left over.

p4277 wrote : Yes, this is all rumor right now, take it for what it's worth...

But there are at least 400 million reasons why the NHL would do it, ($200 million expansion fee X 2 teams). That could pay the owners back for the money that has been flushed down the sewer in Phoenix, with some left over.

The NHL got itself into serious financial straits the last time it embraced a policy of generating revenues for current owners by collecting - and sharing - exorbitant fees from the owners of expansion franchises. It amounted to a glorified Ponzi scheme.

**rther, there's the fact that entry fees collected from two more expansion teams would be a one-time payout... but, the 30 current NHL franchise owners would then have to share revenues from sources such as broadcast deals and merchandising with two more partners.

I wouldn't count on the NHL embracing expansion to 32 teams any time soon.

The NHL is a pyramid scheme that will expand when the current teams decide they need an influx of cash, and there's a market for NHL teams as long as there are people willing to buy teams (expansion or existing). As far as the recent realignment is concerned, I think it was done with an eye towards moving the Coyotes to the east or in anticipation of expanding by two teams, at least one of which would be in the east. I'd love to believe that this is why Baldwin revealed his XL Center renovation plans when he did...

I agree. I think the NHL is clearly contemplating the Coyotes move to the east and expansion. Incidentally, I don't know if anyone watched Face the State a couple of weeks ago when the guy from UConn that did the study of the XLCenter was on. He said that there have been discussions with the NHL regarding expansion.

We really need to get our act together here. I feel we are so close. 1) get the Whale attendance up to 7-8000 and 2) renovate the XLCenter per Baldwin's plan. I truly believe that if we get those two things done ASAP, we will have the NHL here a LOT sooner than we all may think.

I do not believe they are looking for expansion but I think they are defintely moving the Coyotes to this side of the Mississippi. Where though?

It is not going to be Quebec, I will admit it if I am wrong but really feel strongly they dont like Quebec as a landing spot.

Do they like Hartford? I dont know would think not but Howard is not exactly in the dark when it comes to talking to Bettman. They have meet a few times and recently.

Whale2WOLF wrote :

> LOL, if the NHL is having so much trouble with the 30 teams they have then

> why would they have 2 more teams. Rumors are just that, rumors.

Yup, all just rumors to me for now. I'll believe the expansion and relocation ideas when they actually happen, until then its the status quo with the AHL. Enjoy what you have, and not what you had and not what might not even happen. :D

Hartfordyouremyhome wrote :

> We will always have the AHL, regardless. What would be great is if we could

> finally see an AHL season here with another affiliate.

I agree with always having the AHL. I dont see another affiliate here. The NY Rangers have done a great job of supplying talent and staying committed to Hartford. In addition, the Baldwins along with most of the media and most fans (not including stuck in the past-hold a grudge Whalers fans) do not have a problem with the Rangers being here and being the affiliate. I hope the Rangers continue to keep their affiliation with Hartford as long as the AHL is here. Its been **n getting to know the players here and then watching them move up to the NY Rangers (my favorite team) and other teams in the NHL and have great success.

I would say PackFan is pretty much right about that. Just for curiosity's sake, I'd like one season of the AHL here under an affiliate that is completely indifferent to the NHL fans here. So no Rangers...no Bruins...no Hurricanes...no Islanders or Flyers...make it...the Columbus Blue Jackets...or the Minnesota Wild or someone like that, and see how the fans would be.

MarkH2919 wrote :

> I would say PackFan is pretty much right about that. Just for curiosity's

> sake, I'd like one season of the AHL here under an affiliate that is

> completely indifferent to the NHL fans here. So no Rangers...no

> Bruins...no Hurricanes...no Islanders or Flyers...make it...the Columbus

> Blue Jackets...or the Minnesota Wild or someone like that, and see how the

> fans would be.

Springfield is a good example of that Mark. Look at all their affiliation changes over the past few years. The attendance, although it is mostly team record and on ice play make the fans stay away. We should consider ourselves lucky we havent had 3 or 4 NHL teams affiliated with us like Springfield.

Oh, we are lucky...but you have to remember one thing...Springfield doesn't have the broken fanbase that we do. They don't have one group that hates the Rangers so much they re**se to go to games, and they don't have another group that wants absolutely nothing to do with the AHL.

If we had one season with an affiliate that means nothing to the Hartford hockey fan...it might help...who knows.

PackFan5580 wrote :

> Hartfordyouremyhome wrote :

We will always have the AHL, regardless. What would be great is if we could

finally see an AHL season here with another affiliate.

"The NY Rangers have done a great job of supplying talent and staying committed to Hartford.

In addition, the Baldwins along with most of the media and most fans do not have a problem with the Rangers

being here and being the affiliate."

"Most fans"?Don't think so.The Rangers have done a good job of finishing the job on hockey in this market started by Karmanos.They come here unwanted & for years trash our hockey heritage by getting rid of everything Whalers in favor of everything Rangers in hopes we'd just accept them.

Only when they realized they weren't going to change the market to Ranger fans,except for the few rude ones already here who think Hartford exists solely to provide them a place to watch a Ranger farm team,did they start acquiescing.

It doesn't matter if they stocked the AHL team with 1984 Edmonton Oilers,if the majority hometown fans want them to lose & the Rangers gone.I'd rather they **** & just get out of here because, as has been said accurately many,many,many times, the AHL will be here regardless.(one of the few Wolf * Pack games I'd gone to was in 2000 to root for Rochester to win the Cup)

So give that majority of Hartford fans who dislike the Rangers a chance to finally root for a real hometown team for once.

I'll keep going to Whale games as I have been to help WS&E maintain the charade that AHL attendance means anything at all,as it's hard to imagine any more chances at the NHL if HB doesn't bring it here.

Once this effort ends though,if the Rangers are still here,I'll watch my NHL team,& attend games in Springfield,Bridgeport,or anywhere but Hartford,as there's no better game than hockey.

If the NHL doesn't come back,but a non-Ranger AHL replaces them,I'll happily watch the AHL in Hartford.

The expansion is a possibility down the road, but the Rangers in the mean time arent going anywhere, I went back and forth on the Rangers being an affiliate and how it would affect Hartford if it was another AHL team and I think it wouldnt matter much, maybe it would go up a couple hundred people a game or maybe it would be down a couple hundred people. But the bottom line is no AHL team will ever be a team of our own. It has to be the NHL if we want our own team. The AHL is **n I enjoy it but it is scraps from the NHL table and thats all it will ever be to anyone who wants a team of their own. Sorry if that sounds harsh but you can not probably convince me different on that.

Just because it isnt NHL doesnt mean you cant really dive into the fandom of the AHL team though. I thought I couldnt but I was way wrong, Its been **n to root for the team. The players, coaches, and Ranger Personell are so accessible, they will talk to anyone. I asked for a season p***** as a media member, thinking they would probably laugh at me. They didnt even ask me for anything, Bob Crawford and Brian Ring just gave me a season p***** without even blinking an eye. I was surprised by that. I am thank**l that we have the AHL, it would be worse for Hartford if they were not here.

“The Rangers have done a good job of finishing the job on hockey in this market started by Karmanos.They come here unwanted & for years trash our hockey heritage by getting rid of everything Whalers in favor of everything Rangers in hopes we'd just accept them.”

Why would the Rangers want to kill the market? Would that be counterproductive? They didn’t “trash our hockey heritage”, they were trying to move on. After everything that happened with the NHL, the Whalers, and Karmanos, the Rangers tried to give everyone something to get behind. The Wolf Pack was named after something that was made in CT, by people who live in CT. They didn’t even use their regular colors, but instead the used their secondary colors, so the Pack wouldn’t looks exactly like the Rangers. They got rid of the banners and no one who went to games complained about it, and most of the fans were Whalers fans. Then they put them back, and even paid to have three more added. They also averaged around 7,000 a games for the first 5 years, so people did accept them.

If I had $5 for every time I have heard "The Rangers infestation of Hartford" or "The Rangers killed this market" or "Most people want the Rangers gone", I'd have enough money to buy the Coyotes, the XL Center, and the Falcons to make them one big happy freaking family.

For the zillionth time (or so it seems), the AHL....even the Rangers affiliation...is better than no hockey at all.

According to ESPN insider, expansion talks could start this summer, but the two top teams would apparently be Quebec and another Toronto team:

Now that the NHL's board of governors have approved a four-conference realignment plan, many are throwing the "E" word around again. With the two seven-team and two eight-team conference format, expansion might make good sense -- from a mathematical standpoint, anyway.

ESPN.com's Craig Custance:

"Realignment gives league plenty of flexibility with Phoenix. Also makes it nice and easy to add two more teams if they decide to expand."

David Pagnotta of the Fourth Period proposes the league could start discussing expansion as early as this summer. And TrueHockey.com's Andy Strickland suggests two new teams could take root north of the border.

"League source 'don't get caught up in two conferences having 7 vs two having 8 teams' ... NHL may expand to 32 teams and all 4 will have 8 ... My guess is Quebec and a second team from Toronto will eventually join ..."

Kansas City and Seattle are also considered potential candidates.

Quebec deserves it, but giving a Toronto another team before we get a team? I'll be pissed.

Kansas City is all but dead from what I've heard, and Seattle in my opinion actually makes a lot of sense, provided they get a stadium. Of course, Phoenix will be going somewhere at the end of this year, so that means only room for one East team. Then there's all of the teams like Columbus, Florida, and the Islanders who could potentially move.

The next couple years are going to be interesting.

MarkH2919 wrote :

> If I had $5 for every time I have heard "The Rangers infestation of

> Hartford" or "The Rangers killed this market" or "Most

> people want the Rangers gone", I'd have enough money to buy the

> Coyotes, the XL Center, and the Falcons to make them one big happy freaking

> family.

>

> For the zillionth time (or so it seems), the AHL....even the Rangers

> affiliation...is better than no hockey at all.

Thank you Mark, you are one of the few on here that actually gets it. Others on this board are as dense as a brick wall and clouded by their own hatred for everything NY Rangers, to see this. It boggles the mind honestly.