Sign in to follow this  
p4277

Expansion Rumor?

No need to thank me, PackFan...I'm not saying the Rangers are perfect either...but I absolutely appreciate what they did 14 years ago...

If the NHL does return, and our beloved Whalers were to take the ice in Hartford again, I'd be there with bells on...but if that doesn't happen...and Hartford becomes a top AHL market, that's OK too.

Now...if for whatever reason the Bruins decided to move in...then I'd be history. But they seem quite content in Providence, thank goodness.

We're just damn glad we still have Hartford hockey - period. All this bickering has to stop, get behind what we have and support hartford Hockey. These are interesting times, kind of exciting to see the changes happening within the NHL that could impact Hartford. We'll see...

Tackla wrote :

> If the Rangers cared about Hartford, they'd play exhibition games here.

> Screw 'em!

They did a couple of years ago. From what I have heard, they were planning on playing a preseason game in Hartford this year. Then, the NHL had them go over seas this year, and they couldn't do both.

Edited by Guest

MarkH2919 wrote :

>" If I had $5 for every time I have heard "The Rangers infestation of

> Hartford" or "The Rangers killed this market" or "Most

> people want the Rangers gone", I'd have enough money to buy the

> Coyotes, the XL Center, and the Falcons to make them one big happy freaking

> family."

Maybe that should tell you something.

>"For the zillionth time (or so it seems), the AHL....even the Rangers

> affiliation...is better than no hockey at all."

For the zillionth & first time, no, it's not. Because we would have the AHL here regardless.

So because you specifically dislike the Bruins more than you dislike the Rangers, it's okay for you to abandon the AHL in Hartford if the AHL Bruins moved in. However, in your view those who happen to dislike the Rangers as much as the Bruins should be quiet & deal with it. Mark hath spoken.

A few posts back you disagreed then agreed with me in the space of two sentences. While it's absolutely true that you do make some decent & credible points at times, sometimes it also seems you post simply to hear yourself talk. (So to speak)

As it seems you've never met a post you didn't respond to, please take this for what it's worth: Volume does not always equal substance.

Puckhead63 wrote :

> I have Center Ice...here are some arena's with constant empty seats...

>

> * Carolina

> * Anahiem

> * Columbus

> * Dallas

> * Phoenix

> * NYI

> * Florida

Puckhead, we're watching the Red Wings/Coyotes game in Hockeytown right now, TONS of seats available in the lower bowl. Can't believe expansion is even on the table with such poor attendance for so many teams. We are not alone!

We are not alone, "We" meaning CT Whale attendance is off consistently as many of the NHL teams, a sign of the times, level playing field. "We" can have an NHL team someday on the rebound. If it can happen in Winnipeg, it can happen in Hartford! Go Whale!

"So because you specifically dislike the Bruins more than you dislike the Rangers, it's okay for you to abandon the AHL in Hartford if the AHL Bruins moved in."

Dislike.....not the right word. Hate....right word.

See, this is where we definitely differ, HYMH. Most Whalers fans...not all, but definitely most, hate the Bruins so much for all the grief they caused the Whalers during their time here. Heartwrenching losses, either here or in the Garden...1990 and 1991 playoffs...****, when the vote came down in 1979 to merge with the WHA, Harry Sinden voted no because he didn't want the Whalers "invading" what he thought was Bruins territory. The Rangers did none of that. Yes, they had cocky, loudmouthed fans that came to Hartford en m*****e when the Rangers came to town...but guess what? So did the Bruins fans. The Rangers....as has been said over and over and over again...were not nearly the rival that the Bruins were. Most Whalers fans can tolerate the Rangers. Most Whalers fans can not tolerate the Bruins.

So, yes, if the Bruins came in, I'd be gone. Because they are the one NHL team I hate more than anything...for me, a Red Sox fan, who goes to NB Stadium to watch the Rock Cats, it would be the same thing if the Yankees moved their double-A affiliate to New Britain...if they did, I'd never step foot in the stadium.

MarkH2919 wrote:

> "See,this is where we definitely differ, HYMH. Most Whalers fans...not

> all,but definitely most,hate the Bruins so much for all the grief they

> caused the Whalers during their time here.Heartwrenching losses,either

> here or in the Garden...1990 and 1991 playoffs...****, when the vote came

> down in 1979 to merge with the WHA, Harry Sinden voted no because he didn't

> want the Whalers"invading"what he thought was Bruins territory."

I agree with the Bruins thing.The way their fans were in Hartford&the way I was treated in the Garden when I went to see the Whalers was absurd(Ironically,if you go to Boston now with Whaler gear everybody wants to shake your hand&reminisce.The Whaler section in Quincy Market is kind of surreal)

I was never a fan of the Rangers&if not for the Bruins,they would've been the team disliked most.(The Habs broke my heart,but I respected their fans & Patrick Roy)However what the Rangers did in coming here&then after they were here puts them on par with Boston.

What you said about Sinden is all true&I agree.I have no love for the Bruins whatsoever.I grew up rooting hardest against them,before the Pats debacle.

Difference now is-putting aside Bruin br*****-Bruins fan will say-to a person-they'd love the Whalers &the rivalry back.Ranger fans,as you see every day on&off this board,do not want Hartford in the NHL or improved at all,so long as they have a place to watch the"Wolf*Pack".The Bruins are reproach**l about Hartford,the Rangers couldn't care less about us.

When Ranger br***** said they finally met with HB after a decade to get him off their back people laughed;yet it's likely that's exactly why they did;becoming tired of Hartford not just bowing down&thanking the hockey gods for the privilege of hosting Ranger prospects.

We don't actually disagree on much.It's time though to give Hartford an independent affiliation when this deal ends.

See W2W? Read the above. That's the way to respect**lly disagree with what someone says. Not revert to wisecracks and insults. I said something he didn't like, he responded, then I answered back. That's the way this is supposed to work, not constant insults.

Maybe you've learned something today.

MarkH2919 wrote :

> See W2W? Read the above. That's the way to respect**lly disagree with

> what someone says. Not revert to wisecracks and insults. I said something

> he didn't like, he responded, then I answered back. That's the way this is

> supposed to work, not constant insults.

>

> Maybe you've learned something today.

Thanks, Mark. Whenever possible, civil discourse is the way to go.

A new arena may soon be under construction in Markam, Ontario, just outside of Toronto. The proposal is for 19,500 seats, and will move forward even without the promise of a **ture NHL team. But the people behind the project have tried to buy hockey teams before, so you can bet that a second team for the Toronto market is on their minds. Obviously they would have to get past the Maple Leafs' objections, but the latest rumors are that the NHL would like to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix, and have expansion teams in Markham and Quebec City.

Again, only rumors, but it would leave Hartford on the outside looking in.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/11/22/proposed-markham-arena-would-rival-acc

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=381071

Keeping the Coyotes in Phoenix is the stupidest thing I've heard of. How come Phoenix gets to keep a team when teams like the Whalers were gladly shipped away when they still drew pretty well all things considered? Phoenix is a terrible place for Hockey and sadly always will be.

Pheonix to Hartford right now, Hartford had almost double the attendance in their last year that the Coyotes have at this stage of the game. They have a **** of alot more people in the area to draw than Hartford did too. Thats just one example.

glothelegend wrote :

> Keeping the Coyotes in Phoenix is the stupidest thing I've heard of. How

> come Phoenix gets to keep a team when teams like the Whalers were gladly

> shipped away when they still drew pretty well all things considered?

> Phoenix is a terrible place for Hockey and sadly always will be.

The league didn't move the Whalers, they just approved the move. Karmanos didn't want to be here and wanted to move the team to Carolina.

glothelegend wrote :

> Keeping the Coyotes in Phoenix is the stupidest thing I've heard of. How

> come Phoenix gets to keep a team when teams like the Whalers were gladly

> shipped away when they still drew pretty well all things considered?

> Phoenix is a terrible place for Hockey and sadly always will be.

It really is mind boggling! I just don't get why the NHL is so **** bent on saving Phoenix? Heck they didn't even try this hard with Atlanta. Mr. Bettman it's incredibly clear that the people in Arizona don't care about hockey. It's time to head north again.

"Karmanos didn't want to be here and wanted to move the team to Carolina."

While this is true, do not forget that the Whalers move cleared the way for the first m*****ive realignment in the NHL...which in turn sent the Maple Leafs to the Eastern conference. Yes, Karmanos wanted out...but don't think for a minute that the NHL wasn't behind it to some degree. Remember, it was 6 weeks AFTER the team announced they were leaving before they decided on where they were going to go.

That's true, and I know the NHL wanted to start the Southern Movement, but I think the NHL just used the Whalers. I don't think they told Karmanos to move, I think they were just lucky that there was an owner that wanted to move. Especially, move a team that had fans like the Whalers.

Biggie1083 wrote :

> The league didn't move the Whalers, they just approved the move. Karmanos didn't want

> to be here and wanted to move the team to Carolina.

Exactly. They so easily approved a move of the Whalers, but it seems like they're ****bent on keeping a team as dismal as the Coyotes in Phoenix, a place where they clearly will never be success**l.