Sign in to follow this  
Whaleofatime

..... Coyotes Staying in Glendale for at least next 5 years

That's bad for Hartford's chances. If the Coyotes stay put, the anticipated expansion of two teams will likely go to Seattle and Quebec, leaving Hartford on the outside looking in.

I heard the NY Rangers are moving to Birmingham Alabama and the Bruins are moving to Mississippi. It's part of the NHL's strategy of returning the game primarily to its traditional markets. Generally they want, as we can see, to be as close as possible to the places with the most hockey interest. The north just doesn't follow hockey is sufficient numbers due to its cold climate. Hockey seems to work best in an area with a large amount of cactus. :roll:

So they'll lose money for five more years and move anyway. I just don't get it. And how do they think changing the name to the Arizona Coyotes is going to help? Are there really going to be people in the state saying, "oh, we have a hockey team? Let's go!" I think not.

Is this Bettman trying to save face moving the Jets down there? Admit you screwed up and just move the team to Quebec.

They'll be there for at least 5 seasons, after that the new owners have an out clause to relocate them if losses exceed $50Mil the first 5 years. The only thing I'm scared of is that the NHL will be bullying this ownership group into honoring the 15 year contract they signed.

Without new arena and really really rich owner Hartford isnt getting a Nhl team back. Bettman and Daly and Nhl owners wont think fixed up Xl center is good enough because they want a newer building not one almost 40 years old.

5 Years....just enough time for Hartford and it's new influx of Uconn residents to show how the city is on the upswing, perfect for the NHL. Also the perfect amount of time to build up the hockey market and make the XL Center more attractive then say, Seattle's Key Arena (which is like....10 years OLDER than the XL Center by the way).

And let's not forget about our Busway. Okay, I still think it's the dumbest idea ever, but if we got a team back then suddenly that crappy pointless busway turns into a great idea.

I am optimistic, as always.

I don't get the bus way that's brought up every so often on this sight. No I wouldn't have voted for it if it were on the ballot, but the WORST public transportation fiasco was Tom Meskill's trolly at the airport. Since when does a politician from that persuasion support public transportation. Bendix corp. took good care of our former Gov. getting back to what's this site is all about, Is the NHL going to continue subsidizing the yoats ? Bettman and owners need to have their heads examined. Oh I almost forgot, Thank you rags for Christain Thomas and good luck with Kristo. Maybe he'll grow up in 5 years. He's still a good prospect as far as hockey skills.

It dont matter if key arena is older then xl center cause key arena isntt getting a Nhl team either and besides key arena was temp until new arena was built in seattle for nhl and nba. Coyotes staying in arizona because arena there opened only10 years ago. Glendale 2003 brand new arena opened, winnipeg 2004 brand new arena opened, brooklyn 2012 new arena opened. Now quebec has brand new arena opening 2015 and toronto suburb is thinking of building 20000 seat new arena. Red wings arent fixing up Joe Lewis arena but are building new arena in detroit. Fixing up Xl center is not good enough to get Nhl back to hartford when all those new arenas are out there. Hartford needs really rich owner to come and agree to help builkd new arena and buy Nhl team. Thats how hartford gets a Nhl team back.

So if the key arena is a suitable temp home why can't Xl be one.. This is where you guys always go with this, what's good for everyone else is good for Hartford to. And quite frankly not to many cities are going to build a new arena without a team there already or a guarantee from bettman on paper.. Hartford has a good a chance if not better than anyone else to get a team at this point..

jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> So if the key arena is a suitable temp home why can't Xl be one.. This is

> where you guys always go with this, what's good for everyone else is good

> for Hartford to. And quite frankly not to many cities are going to build a

> new arena without a team there already or a guarantee from bettman on

> paper.. Hartford has a good a chance if not better than anyone else to get

> a team at this point..

Nobody is saying key arena is a suitable temp Whaler Chad says it is not. Look nobody can go into the mind of betman or the NHL front office. However in the last decade there has not been an old arena been allowed as a temp situation for any moving team. If anything the league has encouraged every franchise in outdated venues to upgrade. Given this insight and present history in a new era it will take a new arena being planned before a team like the coyotes even think about moving here point blank.

So moni, your saying that a new building doesn't have to be built or even started in it's construction, but it has to be planed. If planed means location and blueprints I agree. I don't think local and state govs. will commit to a final financing without a team commitment. I just read that Anthony Leblanc main owner of yotes along with his fellow Canadian partners will give Glendale every chance to succeed. so much for patriotism. With the name of LeBlanc and being Canadian, snubbing the province of Quebec is surprising and shame**l. My only guess is American TV coverage

The XL Center is a suitable temporary home, just like the Springfield Civic Center was in 1978...especially with the renovations that will be going on. But the only way a team will come this way is if it's in the books a new arena will be built. A lot could happen in five years.

As far as the busway is concerned, that is money set aside for transportation. There is no way that could have been used for a new arena, so that argument is moot. Even though the station near my home will be cool, I would have much rather seen something connecting Hartford with Bradley. It's ridiculous "The Gateway to New England" has no easy way of getting to its state's capital (or Spingfield for that matter, which is actually closer).

I agree about the m***** transit fro BDL to downtown Hartford. When I mentioned Gov. meskel's fiasco it was for a trolly from parking lot to the terminal. That would do nothing for the state or serving the state residents. By the way the overhead tracks were installed and the cars were running as trials. Next thing we see it's being torn down and Bendix is out of here. I'd like to have known the cost to tax payers for that rip off.

It's very hard to believe that if an NHL team agreed to come here, that some binding contract couldn't be drawn up stating that the state would commit to building an arena, & the team would commit to coming here; with huge financial penalties to either if they backed out.

Such a contract would mean neither the city of Hartford or the NHL team would be left holding the bag.

If that were the case, the XL could serve as a temp home until the arena is built.

Am I missing something? Please tell me how such a contract wouldn't be possible.

Hartfordyouremyhome wrote:

> It's very hard to believe that if an NHL team agreed to come here, that

> some binding contract couldn't be drawn up stating that the state would

> commit to building an arena, & the team would commit to coming here;

> with huge financial penalties to either if they backed out.

>

> Such a contract would mean neither the city of Hartford or the NHL team

> would be left holding the bag.

>

> If that were the case, the XL could serve as a temp home until the arena is

> built.

>

> Am I missing something? Please tell me how such a contract wouldn't be

> possible.

It's possible, but not really probable. I don't see any owner ever signing a contract where they would have to pay for almost everything. They would want the state and even the league to pay for some of it. Just look at Howard Baldwin. He wasn't even going to put any of his own money, and wanted the state to pay for a lot of it, with some corporate **nding. A lot of the building that have been built in the past 10 years? Most were mostly built by with state **nds, or they pay for at least half of it.

Biggie1083 wrote:

"It's very hard to believe that if an NHL team agreed to come here, that some binding contract couldn't be drawn up stating that the state would commit to building an arena, & the team would commit to coming here; with huge financial penalties to either if they backed out. Such a contract would mean neither the city of Hartford or the NHL team would be left holding the bag. If that were the case, the XL could serve as a temp home until the arena is built. Am I missing something? Please tell me how such a contract wouldn't be possible."

Biggie1083 wrote:

"It's possible, but not really probable. I don't see any owner ever signing a contract where they would have to pay for almost everything. They would want the state and even the league to pay for some of it. Just look at Howard Baldwin. He wasn't even going to put any of his own money, and wanted the state to pay for a lot of it, with some corporate **nding. A lot of the building that have been built in the past 10 years? Most were mostly built by with state **nds, or they pay for at least half of it."

Well sure, I understand why you wouldn't think it's probable.

However, a contract can say anything & be signed by two parties as long as both parties agree to it. Obviously the language would be such that neither party would be left out in the cold.

Rudimentary example: If you agree to place your NHL team in Hartford, CT, Hartford CT agrees to build a new arena (specifics to be spelled out to be agreed upon by both parties) by 2016. (or whenever) The money & specifics get worked out, & they go ahead with the deal. Not very difficult.

This news doesn't effect hartfords chances at the nhl at all . Until there is an ownership group and an arena plan hartford has no chance at the nhl. If there was an arena being built and they had to use xl for a year maybe we would be in the discussion. The only reason they would use key arena is because the team would be moving into a state of the art arena a year or two later and the buyers would plan on the lost revenue in the short term (probably treating those short term losses as part of the purchase price). I'm willing to bet a team would not be allowed to relocate there without a new arena being constructed. This news effects cities that at least have ownership groups, not us, unfortunately .

Mr. Br***** Bonanza wrote:

> will5059 wrote:

> > This news effects cities that at least have ownership groups, not us,

> unfortunately .

>

> Not that we know of.

I've gotten my hopes up many times in the past 16 years . Personally I've chosen to believe it when a press conference announces something offically . I do read what's out there and hear what is being spoke. I'm just going to believe it when I see it. Hope**lly something is going on involving people who have money and vision that I don't know about. We'll see.

Mr. Br***** Bonanza wrote:

> The XL Center is a suitable temporary home, just like the Springfield Civic

> Center was in 1978...especially with the renovations that will be going on.

> But the only way a team will come this way is if it's in the books a new

> arena will be built. A lot could happen in five years.

>

Again for the 100th time that was a totally different era of the NHL than present day. Through the late 80's early 90's the NHL allowed teams to move to air hangars and other misfit our outdated venues while a new rink was built. Flash forward to the current decade and its either recent arena or bust. Nobody can name 1 team in the last 10 years that moved into an arena on a temp basis that was 30 years or older because it has never happened.

Like i have said numerous times every sport including the NHL has put a large basis on having even arenas build in the late 90's being upgraded to please fans. And recently every NHL team has only moved into a recent arena like the Jets and teams staying in the same cities have built plans for new arenas or already moved in. Now i agree if a new arena is built in CT and we have some sort of ownership group interested then that could change things but as of right now a new arena plan/blueprint and an ownership group does not exist. Ant its not like some owner wakes up tomorrow and decides he wants a team in Hartford. Time could east an owner here but something needs to change to convince an owner to think about CT. Weather government effort or whalers fan club marketing.