Whalevolution

If this very early trend continues......

Recommended Posts

As for what needs to happen: the economy needs to recover. Corporations that will make up the group to support said nhl with advertising and group sales need to get stronger and more need to move into the state. No way will an arena referendum p***** today. A viable ownership group and tv partner need to emerge. As of today the league is looking to add western teams, that's no secret . I didnt create these realities. I'm just calling them as they are. I see the way Winnipeg pre sold their season tickets and wonder if that could happen here. No one loved the whalers more than me but I couldn't afford 3-4 thousand for season tickets. I don't think I'm alone in that position these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

will5059 wrote:

"A quick search on hockeydb shows that from the years 79-80 through 88-89 the bruins outdrew the whalers 6 out of 10 years. A couple of those years the whalers were in the bottom 3 of the league attendance wise."

 

So you're saying it's a huge achievement that an Original 6 team, with a decades-long, strong fan base, & far more people to draw from managed to outdraw an expansion team-whose first year of NHL existence was the first year you mentioned above, & who completely ****ed for all but 2 or 3 of those years...6 out of 10 seasons? Huh? Wow. 60%.

 

You said Plainville wasn't entitled to his own facts but, in truth, you aren't either.

 

1) Connecticut is one the top hockey development states in the U.S., & has produced several top notch NHL stars, along with three NHL captains.

 

2) Yes, the Rangers have a lot of fans in this state; but it's deceptive to say that without putting it in context. The vast majority of those Connecticut-based Rangers' fans live in in Fairfield County, & would be just as likely to ever visit or attend a non-Rangers game on Saturn as they would in Hartford.

 

3) The entirety of the Whalers NHL existence lasted 18 years; nearly all of them ranging from aw**l to pathetic. & with front offices that drafted & traded in a way that'd make Mike Milbury envious. That they ever drew crowds like they did for that was amazing. Imagine if they were a good team. Not even a great one; just a good one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the years that the Whalers outdrew the Bruins would you say Boston lacked casual fans? Or would you say that since they weren't competitive the fans just didn''t show up? Sounds kind of like Hartford and every other sports market in the US

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

>

> 1) Connecticut is one the top hockey development states in the U.S., &

> has produced several top notch NHL stars, along with three NHL captains.

>

> 2) Yes, the Rangers have a lot of fans in this state; but it's deceptive to

> say that without putting it in context. The vast majority of those

> Connecticut-based Rangers' fans live in in Fairfield County, & would be

> just as likely to ever visit or attend a non-Rangers game on Saturn as they

> would in Hartford.

>

> 3) The entirety of the Whalers NHL existence lasted 18 years; nearly all of

> them ranging from aw**l to pathetic. & with front offices that drafted

> & traded in a way that'd make Mike Milbury envious. That they ever drew

> crowds like they did for that was amazing. Imagine if they were a good

> team. Not even a great one; just a good one

2 of those points are dead on but have little to do with my point. Ct has produced many players , some that are quite good but that doesn't change the fact that the whalers were under support outside of there core group of diehard supporters. The whalers were mediocre on the whole but that doesn't excuse the fact that they couldn't sell out a playoff game against an arch rival. It was embarr*****ing . Does that mean it could never work? No. But it did happen. As for the ranger fanbase being mostly in Fairfield county I'm sorry bud, I have to disagree. Other than going to sound tiger games I spend very little time down there. I have how ever grown up in eastern new haven county and worked and went to private school in Middletown and in my life have gotten to know many of hockey fans in my life and there are tons of ranger fans. The same way there are tons of Yankee and giant fans in those areas. To say most ranger fans live in Fairfield is like saying most Yankee fans live south of the Q bridge. It's just not correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PlainvilleWhale wrote:

> So the years that the Whalers outdrew the Bruins would you say Boston

> lacked casual fans? Or would you say that since they weren't competitive

> the fans just didn''t show up? Sounds kind of like Hartford and every other

> sports market in the US

Can't say for sure. I wasn't in boston at the time. I will say that a team with a building with around 1300 less seats out drew the whalers 6 out of 10 years. I'll also add that the years that hartford out drew boston they were close in averages, but in at least 2 of the years that hartford was behind they were pretty far behind. Like near the bottom of the league. Averaging under 10000 in a season I know what I saw. I was there . I couldn't have been the only one who was frustrated at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

will5059 wrote:he

"2 of those points are dead on but have little to do with my point. Ct has produced many players , some that are quite good but that doesn't change the fact that the whalers were under support outside of there core group of diehard supporters. The whalers were mediocre on the whole but that doesn't excuse the fact that they couldn't sell out a playoff game against an arch rival. It was embarr*****ing."

 

Is it embarr*****ing? To what do you attribute a half-empty Fenway in the 1980's? Or the New England Patriots drawing little more than flies for 45 years?

 

I think you're underestimating the power of winning regardless of market. At times Yankees tickets were easy to come by. The Islanders have 9 million people in their general area, but for years have been unable to draw flies, either.

 

My point is, why is it always Hartford that has to come up with reasons that all other teams get a p***** on? For the length of time they were here & their piti**l performance, their attendance was outstanding.

 

I've been in Hartford County for years, & I don't know any Rangers fan here, nor have I seen any Rangers jerseys outside of the XL for a WP/Whale game. If there are a bunch of them north of New Haven, they do a great job of remaining inconspicuous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again I will have to say, all over the country in every sport, when a team ****s they don't draw well period.. We make excuses for every friggin market but Hartford is just a dump.. Hartford was amd still is a great hockey market, yay because people are fed up with MSG dosnt mean anything.. Karmanoos was moving the team regardless of attendance outcome..the league did what they wanted to do.. Like I said in a previous post to reply to biggies garbage.. Even the first 4 or 5 years for the wolfpack, Hartford drew very well, this is about morals for lots of us, and enough is enough with the MSG garbage, we need someone whk respects out history and embraces it, not piss on it..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I can say was I was there as I'm sure many of you were. I get that teams don't draw when they lose . The reason I used the word embarr*****ed in reference to the playoff crowed of 9000 is I can't think of any better word to describe how I felt at the time. Again I'm talking about a playoff game , not a meaningless, we're out of contention game. It was frustrating for me growing up as a whaler fan. I'll never forget those weeknight games and seeing the stands half empty during the anthem. I thought the team and us fans deserved better. I hated the fact that not many of my friends gave a crap about the whalers. Don't get me wrong , the games that were packed was an atmosphere I've yet to truly find since. I carry the good along with the bad with me still. As for the ranger fans I can't explain for the life of me how I know so many from Cromwell / rocky hill area through new haven and no one else seems to. Maybe I live in a pocket of resistance or something. I stand by what I said because that's what I saw. Hope**lly we see better days at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah will we deserved better than Eddie Johnston who traded our franchise to the Stanley cup penguins where he later ended up, a gm who went out drinking with our first round pick, and I'm only talking about the 90s because the 80s we were on to something..c'mon, enough blaming the fans, we all endured the embarr*****ing seasons together and some people just had enough..what's happening now is irrelevant to than, you know in your heart will, if someone who even cared a little and put a good team on the ice, Hartford is a great place to play and be.you can't just look at the worse and say that's what we are, the worse was for reasons out of our control..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

will5059 wrote:

"As for the ranger fans I can't explain for the life of me how I know so many from Cromwell / rocky hill area through new haven and no one else seems to. Maybe I live in a pocket of resistance or something. I stand by what I said because that's what I saw. Hope**lly we see better days at some point."

 

In no way am I questioning your statement; just stating what I know from Hartford County. I can't think of a single person I know who is a Rangers fan. (Though I do know a few who are Bruins fans)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know one family of Ranger fan's who I can't stand for other reasons but they all support the Whalers return and i know a few Bruin fan's who of course become "big" fans after 2011 :roll: so I *****ume they'd hop on a Whaler wagon in a second

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> Yeah will we deserved better than Eddie Johnston who traded our franchise

> to the Stanley cup penguins where he later ended up, a gm who went out

> drinking with our first round pick, and I'm only talking about the 90s

> because the 80s we were on to something..c'mon, enough blaming the fans, we

> all endured the embarr*****ing seasons together and some people just had

> enough..what's happening now is irrelevant to than, you know in your heart

> will, if someone who even cared a little and put a good team on the ice,

> Hartford is a great place to play and be.you can't just look at the worse

> and say that's what we are, the worse was for reasons out of our control..

When did I blame the fans jersey? All I said was I wish there were more of us at the time before karmonos came around. I know why it happened, why people gave up. It just broke my friggin heart at the end in those last couple years. That team was exciting . Blame is not the right word. Disappointed with the way the cards fell is more like it. If you knew me you'd know that there was no bigger whaler fan than me. For perspective I'll give you this story: I clearly remember this dick head kid in my school who would bust my stones when the whalers were on there way out, ran into him 10 years later and the kids walking around with a whaler hat. Is it petty for me to resent him? Probably. Can't help but resent all these kids I went to school with who wernt fans and now rock the gear. I think to myself "where the f were you when we needed you?". Get where I'm coming from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PlainvilleWhale wrote:

> I know one family of Ranger fan's who I can't stand for other reasons but

> they all support the Whalers return and i know a few Bruin fan's who of

> course become "big" fans after 2011 :roll: so I *****ume they'd

> hop on a Whaler wagon in a second

All the ranger fans I know say the same plainvillewhale . If have met one bruin fan who's still butt hurt over the whalers taking runs at cam neeley. Maybe he'll get over it wither the next 20 flipping years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its the weirdest thing Will I am the biggest Red Sox fan you'll ever meet but I could never like the Bruins and their fan's are the worst! I went to the SC parade ONLY because i was in town for a Sox game and I stood there trying to have **n while all the obnoxious B's fans celebrated a team they forgot existed 4 years before lol.... Maybe i'm just jealous but I Can't stand when a Boston or CT fans are in "Bruin Mode"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now